unIMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

webmaster
Site Admin

unIMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT

Post by webmaster »

Im leaving this up for posterity reasons, but much of the info is now outdated. Read at your own risk! --webmaster
--------------
Some of you will see a new Forum on the Index page called Private. You should see this Forum if you are registered as a member of TIC170A (in other words, you've included you first name, last name and member number in your Forums Profile). If you are registered as a member, but don't see this Forum, please let me know as soon as possible.

This new 'Private' Forum is just put up as a test of some changes I've made to the Forums software. However, as a result of a decision at the Board of Directors meeting in Tehachapi this summer, I will be making all the Forums 'Read Only' for non-members of the TIC170A. This means that only members of TIC170A will be able to post new topics or replies (but everyone can read them).

I'll probably hold off making The Pilot Lounge and The Hangar private for a while. Since these are the most popular forums, I want to make sure everything is working properly before changing them over.

One of the good things that comes out of this is that TIC170A members will be able to post their own ads in The Trademart forum. Please don't abuse this by advertising items that are not Cessna 170 related, or that are obviously a commercial venture.
Last edited by webmaster on Wed Nov 03, 2004 4:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
zero.one.victor

Post by zero.one.victor »

Nobody asked, but IMHO the Board is making a bad call, changing the forums to a non-members read-only mode. As a 7 or 8 year member of the Association, I don't have a problem with non-members posting on the forums. In fact, I think we will probably miss out on some valuable information & points-of-view from some of our non-members, there are some highly-experienced 170ers among them.
What's the best way to request the Board to reconsider this policy change?

Eric
mit

Post by mit »

I like it. If you want to play, then you should be willing to Pay!
Tim
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

I'm a member.

I don't like it. I've just written an email to the board members saying so.

Yes at this point my TIC170A dues are paying the bills. I think it's worth it.

I'd like everyone to be a member but that will never happen. I've gained a lot of knowledge about the 170 in the seven years that I've read every post here and at the old yahoo site. A lot of that information was from non-members. Had they not been able to post I would have been denied their valuable input and information.

Is this forum perfect? Heck no. I think this is the best type club forum in part because it is open to everyone. Try getting information on a J3 Cub sometime.

I'd like to see the forum improved with easy pictures stored with the text so they won't be lost for example.

Restricting our ability to gather information regardless of the source (member/non-member) is foolish (my opinion) and a step backward. We only have 1468 members that own 1200 of the 1721 170s registered in the US. If you had a problem with your 170 you'd like to discuss and one of the 521 owners that aren't members was reading and had the answer, wouldn't you like to hear from them.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
c170b53

Post by c170b53 »

Member issues ? :oops:
George thanks for all your efforts. I'm a member and would like to see the forums remain open to the public. If we cannot share information with each other, in my opinion that would be a bad thing.
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

c170b53 wrote:Member issues ? :oops:
George thanks for all your efforts. I'm a member and would like to see the forums remain open to the public. If we cannot share information with each other, in my opinion that would be a bad thing.
Just an informational note: I am not the webmaster. I am only the moderator. TIC170A Treasurer, Dale Medendorp is the webmaster.
George
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
ak2711c

Post by ak2711c »

I'm a member but the forum should remain open. Is it possible to post a poll that the members could vote on? I have seen this done on other forums but don't know if it is possible here.
Shawn
doakes

Post by doakes »

I am a member also and I would like to see a vote of members on this issue.
Dave
Alterfede

Post by Alterfede »

I guess is better to keep it open to non-members, is not easy to 70ers from outside the US, like me, in a third world country to gain acces to this valuable information and sometimes is not easy (either because you cannot send the money or you cant pay it cause of the continuous economic crisis) to be a member. My question is, and maybe it has to be asked to the board, who is hurt by leaving this forum open? Saludos
Fede Ranea
federanea@yahoo.com.ar
TIC170A #7450
Buenos Aires
LV-FEH 1950 C170A
Tom Downey

Post by Tom Downey »

This new 'Private' Forum is just put up as a test of some changes I've made to the Forums software. However, as a result of a decision at the Board of Directors meeting in Tehachapi this summer, I will be making all the Forums 'Read Only' for non-members of the TIC170A. This means that only members of TIC170A will be able to post new topics or replies (but everyone can read them).

end quote

that will stop me from posting.

This will stop any prosprctive new owner from asking questions here.

Its kinda like all the experiance huddled up and keeping it a secret..

How many new owners have asked questions here before they joined?
Tom Downey A&P-IA
N1478D

Post by N1478D »

What is the logic being used in this decision? Could we hear it? It's hard to understand without hearing the reasons.

IMHO, if you have to block because of economic reasons, make it a 90 day pass or something.

Some of the most knowledgeable people are the types that just don't like belonging to clubs. I thought we welcomed the world to the enjoyment of the beautiful 170's that we cherish so much.

What if somebody that has the same type engine, landing gear, magneto, starter, wings, radios, etc but in a totally different type of airplane has critical information but they are not a member because they fly something else. We would loose the ability for them to pop in and advise us of something they might know that we don't. What if they are just friends with one of our members and that member has an accident or something good happens and they wanted to post about it.

Guess the next thing will be on the lunch flyins, not a member - don't sit and eat with us. Maybe we could have the TIC170A make up some signs that warned any non-member that they shouldn't even really look at our airplanes till after they become a member. :roll:

Come on guys, let's roll the welcome mat out and treat non-members even better than our members. Seriously, that's the only way to grow. We need young people, we need all types of people. The 170 is such an ambassador, all we have to do is keep our doors open and be friendly to the newcomers.
Joe
51 C170A
Grand Prairie, TX
doug8082a

Post by doug8082a »

Ditto all of the above... This is crazy. One of the chief benefits of the forums being open to non-members is so they can post questions about possibly buying a 170 and get good, quick answers from us. Those individuals usually go on to buy the aircraft and join the association.

What are we going to turn into here... the 180/185 club where you can't even join until you buy a 180/185? You may buy a lemon because you couldn't ask questions in advance, but you couldn't ask questions because you didn't own the aircraft?

Leave it open to everyone. I want to hear their input and they probably want to hear ours. I'm the President of my local EAA Chapter. One thing I've learned is that if you turn something in to a "closed society" it will only drive prospects away.
Doug
ak2711c

Post by ak2711c »

Joe and Doug you guys are right on. I sure hope they listen to us all!
Shawn
Vermont170

Post by Vermont170 »

I agree that everyone benefits by keeping the forum open to anyone interested in 170"s. Tom Downey brought up a good point about prospective 170 owners needing a resource for information. They're not going to join the association just to ask a few questions on the forum.

I say keep it open to anyone unless there is some valid reason (ie. finances) that I'm missing.

Al
1949 170A
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

Most forum members might not realize but I'm pretty sure with the exception of the webmaster, the majority of the directors, and regular members for that fact, do not visit the forum very often, if at all. I've formed this opinion based on the number of posts by the directors. It is entirely possible they have been lurking and not posting for the last several years.

We have 642 current members of the forum. There is no way for me to tell how many are Association members but if we were all members we still would not be the majority of TIC170A members. However I bet we have at least a 100 members of the forum who are Association members and by virtue of our participation in the forums we are probably the largest single active group of the Association. What I'm trying to say is I believe if we voice our disapproval of this decision in a positive manner to the board, we will be heard.

The best way to communicate with the board of directors and tell them how you feel is by email.

Most of the email addresses of the directors are printed in the Fly Paper which, if you don't have the current copy, it is available in the members only section of the Association web site. For those Association members who display the Association Avator with their posts (so I can confirm membership), I will provide all the email addresses if you PM me.

I believe the Directors have the best interest of the Association in mind but have gone off course with this decision. Lets let them know how we feel and get them on course again.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com