New starter needed

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

dkalwishky

New starter needed

Post by dkalwishky »

It looks as if my start on my O300-A has died. The shop is looking at it now and I am going to be faced with a couple of decisions.

1. Rebuild my existing starter and put it back into service.
2. Put on a Skytec starter remove the pull start and install a push button.
3. Put on a B&C starter, remove the pull start and install a push button.

Any thoughts or comments on Skytec vs. B&C?

Dave
jmbrwn

Post by jmbrwn »

Dave- My recently purchased C170A has a new Skytec starter, and I am quite pleased with it. It seems to start quicker...1 to 2 blades...hot or cold. It also has Slick mags.

Jim
Jim Brown
N9753A
'49 C170A
Curtis Brown

Post by Curtis Brown »

At overhaul I went with the B&C starter and I have been very happy with it. I really like the push button as opposed to the pull start. It turns the engine over very well and starts hot or cold with ease. One or two blades and a pump of the throttle.
Good luck.
Curtis
1950 A model 1256D
doakes

Post by doakes »

I installed a B&C starter and I think it is great. Faster starts, a good investment. I'd do it again in a heartbeat.
Dave O
akflyer

Post by akflyer »

I'm also considering a push button starter. Any idea who has the best price on the two options?
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Call SkyTec and tell 'em you'd heard they were going to have one at the 170 convention this year for all to see (and then be awarded as a door prize) but it never showed up and wondered what happened?
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
zero.one.victor

Post by zero.one.victor »

There's quite a cost difference between OH'ing your old starter & installing a B&C or Skytec. For the stock parts, an OH'd starter should cost around $230 or so (exchange), plus $155 (exchange) or so for an OH'd starter clutch. Both plus shipping,of course.
The B&C starter costs around $800, plus you have to remove (cut off in place 8O ) a shaft inside the acessory case that the starter clutch spins on. Plus you have to install wiring,push button,etc. Could be that the Skytec installation is cheaper & easier, I don't know.
I'm sure both the B&C & Skytec starters are lighter than stock, and very trick. However, the stock Delco starter gives good service, as long as you keep the starter cable rigged correctly. I was amazed how fast the Delco spun the engine over after overhauling it, installing a new battery, and cleaning up all the electrical connections.

Eric
dkalwishky

Post by dkalwishky »

The skytec started when all is said and done is about $300 cheaper than the B&C. My A&P said the B&C was a better unit and cited some technical reasons as to why. I don't know myself.

It turns out that my clucth was damaged and needed to be replaced at a cost of $210.

George, what are your thoughts on the technical difference between Skytec and B&C?

Dave
zero.one.victor

After reading your post on your "Angel Flight" topic abut your starter/clutch damage, I felt I oughta remind everybody that proper rigging of the starter controls is critical. Improperly rigged starter controls can & will result in damage to the starter clutch, as well as to the gear(s) inside the accesory case. And the resulting debris inside the engibe can & will then cause damage to other stuff. Make sure them starters are rigger correctly. I believe the rigging procedure is spelled out in The 170 Book. Niagra also includes rigging instructions with their replacement starter clutches.

Eric
Bill Rusk

Post by Bill Rusk »

This was covered in detail at the supercub.org website. Go to discussions and hit search at the top and type in skytec and it should lead you there. In summary the B&C seems to be a better unit. The skytec is more susceptible to damage from kickback and it may also be more likely to damage the engine in the process. There was a guy talking to the B&C folks at Oshkosh with his broken Skytec in hand that Skytec did not seem to inclined to fix. He was not a happy Skytec owner. It seems that you hear some good and bad about skytec but I've only heard good about B&C. Just my opinion.

Bill
doakes

Post by doakes »

The reason I installed the B&C was due to an engine overhauler. As I had called anround to check on different pricing to do an overhaul, I indicated that I wanted to install a new and different type of starter, he told me that the Skytec model would not hold up to wear and tear as well as the B&C. He said that there were plastic parts in the Skytec and it was not built as heavy as the B&C.
I do know that the recommended method of installation of the B&C is to remove the accessory case and cut of the "thingy" off, that the original starter uses to slide the clutch on, where as I talked to the Skytec people and they say to use modeling clay to keep filings from the engine and cut it off with a Dremel tool. Easy they say :)
Because I was doing an overhaul it was the perfect time to put on a new type starter. The overhauler cut off the "thingy" before he reassembled the engine.
It has worked well, and to be perfect honest the Skytec starter may really be just as good, I only chose the B&C because of the mechanic's recommendation.
Dave
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

dkalwishky wrote:The skytec started when all is said and done is about $300 cheaper than the B&C. My A&P said the B&C was a better unit and cited some technical reasons as to why. I don't know myself.

It turns out that my clucth was damaged and needed to be replaced at a cost of $210.

George, what are your thoughts on the technical difference between Skytec and B&C?

Dave
Dave, to be honest, I've got no special attraction to either one of them. I'm not familiar with either in any personal sense, and being an originality nut, (no one's going to believe this :wink: ) but I'm inclined to agree with Eric. For less money, and simpler life, the original starter/clutch arrangement is reliable, plentiful, and cheap compared to either B&C or SkyTec.
(As a side note: SkyTec called me one time to promote their product among our group. So I used the opportunity to put in a word for our Assoc. and asked for a demonstrator/prize unit to display at this years convention, and offered to display all their advertising brochures alongside. They were very enthusiastic and committed to do so. Just before the convention I called to remind them of their commitment and give them the shipping address to send it to. They again said they would do so. It never came. So a SkyTec unit was not available for viewing OR a door prize to some member.) :?
I don't know if their customer-service follow-up is any different.
In comparison, Niagra Air Parts not only donated a starter clutch (their new 5-roller clutch) they also provided an attractive display that showed cut-away views of the differences and the failure modes of various competitor products. If anyone needs a starter clutch, Niagra supports our Association! http://www.niagaraairparts.com/ 800-565-4268 And their website has a PDF file (downloadable) on how to install/adjust your starter/clutch.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
zero.one.victor

The only after-market starters I've seen on C-145/O-300's is the B&C. I imagine that the supercub.org discussion deals with the B&C Lycoming starter versus the Skytec Lycoming starter-- not necesarily relevant to our Continental starter issues.

Eric