New ELT Requirements

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Yep. I admit it. I was on a rant over it. (Truth be known, I just hated to see my old favorite airplanes (Viper-powered Hawker Siddleys relegated to the trash-heap.) :cry: But their pitot-static systems just can't be economically converted to the new accuracy standards at altitude.
You're correct, Mike,...here comes the train...

gahorn- A steam-power advocate for the right reasons! :wink:
mvivion

Post by mvivion »

Fred,

If you work on CRJ's as a mechanic, you should know that to activate an aircraft ELT requires a significant impact in a specific direction, as in straight ahead. I would hope that a forklift or other machine driven into the side of an airplane would'nt set one off. It sure shouldn't. My comments, by the way, were relevant to the system itself, not the ELT's. I have no experience with the ELT's themselves, though I've been carrying a 406 PLB for some time now.

By the way, what airline do you work for? And who checks out the ground service drivers? :lol:

George, make yourself happy. There are some others around who went through the initial ELT program also, and may not have seen it the way you did. So be it, it's all spin at this point anyway.

You are correct that politics drives a lot of this stuff, but it isn't always lobbyists, sometimes it's just plain dumb Congresspersons, looking out for the best interests of themselves, they think.

In any case, it's all a moot point. The next generation ELT's are on their way, and if you want to have an airworthy airplane, one of these days you'll have to own one.

Welcome to the world of aviation.

Mike
doug8082a

Post by doug8082a »

Who needs the new ELT? From the sounds of this article, 121.5 is working just fine :twisted: :twisted:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/6276846/
Doug
mvivion

Post by mvivion »

Doug,

Thanks for sharing that!! I love it.

Mike
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Hey! I want one! Nobody's gonna steal it and get away with it!! :lol:
(And surely no one's TV will ever broadcast on 406.) :wink:
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
doug8082a

Post by doug8082a »

Stick it in your panel! Talk about an MFD! :P
Doug
FredM

Post by FredM »

mvivion,
It does not take as significant of an impact as most people think. The required G switch test says you should be able to activate the ELT by holding it in your hand and shaking it for and aft in the direction of the Orange arrow painted on the unit. That seldom works and we often resort to smacking them on a rubber matt on the floor. many of them still won't activate.
Many of the baggage cart hits I referred to were in the correct direction and in the exact spot on the tail cone where the ELT is mounted. We get plenty of ramp strikes.
Hopefully all ELTs are not all as bad as the ones I have experience on.
I work for Pinnacle Airlines by the way. We just crashed one of our CRJs on Thursday in Jefferson City MO. I have been trying to find out if the ELT activated normally but haven't been able to confirm one way or the other yet.
Fred L. Mahan
51 C170A N1289D
KAP54

New ELT Requirements

Post by KAP54 »

I find your discussion of the whys and wherefores of these regulations interesting, but what exactly are the new requirements for ELT's that are going into effect on Jan. 1 ?