170B doing what it was built for (N2765D)

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

funseventy

170B doing what it was built for (N2765D)

Post by funseventy »

I saw a 1952ish 170B at the Auburn, WA airport. It was loaded with what looked to be a young man his wife and two kids with a load of gear and they were headed out. Out where, I do not know but the 170 was gettin' them there. It was polished and red trim and going strong.

I was on a business trip in the company 182. It is a really nice wide body airplane (4" wider than the 170) and loaded with avionics and it does the job as good as any thing else could. But when I step out of it I am not proud to be in it. It is just like a moped, It's a whole lot of fun until someone sees you!

When I saw the young family out in the 170 I felt bad for leaving 84C at home. I think I'll make it up to her by taking her to Oshkosh this year, 1200 miles one way. That should show her that I believe in her.

signed, Guilty
rudymantel

Post by rudymantel »

I know how you feel- a 170 does make you feel a little special.
I sometimes find that ATC and control towers treat you with a little more courtesy. Maybe it's my imagination-
Rudy
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Yep. There's few airplanes that have the allure and quality of a genuine Cessna 170! (As nice as it looks, even a C-190/195 has a dark side,...but not the 170! She's a charmer, thru and thru!)
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
jmbrwn

Post by jmbrwn »

In the short time I've had my C170, I've gotten nothing but oooohhhhsss and aaaahhhhsss out of folks. I absolutely love flying her. Just got back from a perfect sunset flight with my 6 yr old son and a good friend. Topped it off with a squeaker wheel landing.....great!!! :D
Jim Brown
N9753A
'49 C170A
4-Shipp

Post by 4-Shipp »

9CP's paint looks almost brand new, thanks to the previous owner. Before I tell them about the plane, I always ask young eagles (and their parents) which they think is older, the airplane or their dad? Always the same response and always wrong, even from the (uninitiated) parents. Its great to see young kids from this electronic, digital generation get exited about something so old and anolog, even if they aren't aware of its signifigance.

We enjoyed one family trip in the 170 from Winnipeg to Illinois several years ago. Unfortunately, those days are about over, as I am no longer the tallest in the family. Both boys are 6' and 150 lbs+ ( and they are only 14 and 15...ugh!). The good news is that they are ready for the left seat. A new generation started right...

Bruce
Bruce Shipp
former owners of N49CP, '53 C170B