Parachutes

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

Nexster

Parachutes

Post by Nexster »

I am considering getting into flying, but I am somewhat afraid of the engine failing and falling out of the sky, so I was wondering if people who fly cessnas's or other one prop planes have parachutes or if it would be possible to have them, just incase. Thanks
mrpibb

Post by mrpibb »

Hi, single engine airplanes very rarely " Fall" out of the sky. The loss of a engine dose not mean disaster, just a controllable descent to a field, road to where a level head and training will produce a very survivable outcome. As to parachutes it is not the norm to wear or carry them on a small "Cessna" type aircraft unless you plan on performing aerobatics in which regs require the wearing of parachutes, personally I would not fit in my 170 with a parachute on, I would have to modify the seats in order to do so. Even if I could I would not because there is no need to do so, my sugestion is to take a demo flight and if the falling thing really freaks you out then flying may not be for you.
Vic
N2609V
48 Ragwing
A Lanber 2097 12 gauge O/U Sporting
A happy go lucky Ruger Red label 20 ga
12N Aeroflex
Andover NJ
http://www.sandhillaviation.com

" Air is free untill you have to move it" BB.
Mike Smith

Post by Mike Smith »

I would suggest that you get some more time in small general aviation airplanes before buying one if you really feel this way. I agree with the above post that these airplanes don't just fall out of the sky. The wing is a great thing, and if you maintain the proper airspeed (lower the nose in the event of an engine failure) your chances of survival are generally very good. Flown properly, you really wouldn't have to touchdown much faster than 50 mph, less if you really flare and have full flaps.

The other issue sounds like a lack of confidence in the engines. A properly maintained engine should give warning signs of approaching problems if you do oil analysis, cut open your oil filter to check for metal and generally listen to get to know your engine. A slight drop in power or a rough mag check are the types of things that may indicate a problem.

Go fly with some local pilots who own their aircraft and get them talking about the issues you have discussed here. See what you can learn from them.

Good Luck,
Mike Smith
1950 C-170A
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Let me see,...which would I prefer... Falling to earth at 1000 feet per minute beneath a piece of fabric I've never before tried, with my bare body against the trees, fences, and electric power lines??
...Or gliding to earth in a completely controllable airplane, protectd by lots of structure and seat belts, descending at only 500 fpm, and capable of landing in any pasture or road at 45 mph?
Boy...that's a hard one! :wink:

Nexter, we have a saying: Why would anyone jump out of a good airplane?
I have another one. Why would anyone throw themselves out of an airplane designed to land safely without power, ... instead trusting themselves to a last-ditch device last packed and inspected by a total stranger and without possibility of having been tested since?

Airplanes do not "fall" just because of an engine difficulty.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
Joe Moilanen

Post by Joe Moilanen »

The thing that sold me on 170's happened before I even started flying. The first hundred times or so that I flew in a 170, I never got to land in it. I started sky diving in '76 out of a "ragged" rag wing. Even on the hottest summer days, four jumpers and a pilot (no matter how much the jumpers and their gear weighed), it would faithfully take us to 7,200' running on fumes. What a plane. It was totally gutted, and everybody leaned forward for takeoff to keep from aft loading. It would fly along on jump run at minimum airspeed with a jumper sitting on the main wheel, one hanging off the strut and one sitting in the doorway. It's just like the girl that could'nt say no...

Joe
4518C
t7275tr

parachutes

Post by t7275tr »

Like Joe, I was a skydive junkie in the 70's and 80's. I had the luxury of flying the jump plane when not jumping and we had a parachute in the pilots seat. It was not for fear of structural failure( if you are afraid of that, you are not cut out to be a pilot) it was in case a ripcord got pulled on exit and a canopy caught the tail. In that case,you had better get out. We had 180's for jump planes and have always lusted for a 180 but waited too long and they got too pricey. For those of you who have experienced freefall, I highly recommend doing a tandem jump. It will be the biggest thrill you will ever have with your pants on. Ask George Bush, he is going to make his 4th jump on Saturday for his 80th birthday. You are never too old to try. SKYDIVE?----You Bet!
n3833v

Post by n3833v »

:lol: Go to AOPA site and check out the new [FlightTraining.aopa.org] site. I think this might help anyone thinking about flying.
John
John Hess
Past President 2018-2021
President 2016-2018, TIC170A
Vice President 2014-2016, TIC170A
Director 2005-2014, TIC170A
N3833V Flying for Fun
'67 XLH 900 Harley Sportster
EAA Chapter 390 Pres since 2006
K3KNT