170 down!

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

zero.one.victor

170 down!

Post by zero.one.victor »

Another 170 went down last night,Sunday 5/16/04 around 2030 local,in a mid-air near Tenino Washington (south of Olympia). It was N3510D,a 1955 B model. I mentioned this airplane on another topic recently,it's the one that looks quite a bit like Dan Linn's. Don't know what the other airplane was.
The 170 pilot survived the crash, but his name hasn't been released. I suspect it is one of the 2 sons of the owner of the airplane,Gary Loveness,who was killed in an airplane wreck last summer. Both his sons were onboard but survived. Now this. Really a bummer.

Eric
flyguy

ANOTHER HEARTBREAKER

Post by flyguy »

N-number : N3510D
Aircraft Serial Number : 27053
Aircraft Manufacturer : CESSNA
Model : 170B
Engine Manufacturer : CONT MOTOR
Model : 0-300 SER
Aircraft Year : 1955
Owner Name : SALE REPORTED
Owner Address : WAX ORCHARD AIRSTRIP
VASHON ISLAND, WA, 98070
Type of Owner : Individual
Registration Date : Not Specified

THIS IS THE MOST RECENT I COULD FIND. OLE GAR
OLE GAR SEZ - 4 Boats, 4 Planes, 4 houses. I've got to quit collecting!
JJH55

Post by JJH55 »

170 Pilot survived, 210 pilot deceased.
Go to the link for the story and a picture of the 170. :(

http://www.theolympian.com/home/news/ne ... ory3.shtml
zero.one.victor

Post by zero.one.victor »

I checked out the above link. Just what I suspected,Gary's son Gahryn was flying the 170. Sounds like he musta been hit by the 210 while it was overtaking him,as they were both northbound.
Gahryn was in the front seat of the turbine Bonanza with his dad when Gary was killed last year,and has the scars to prove it. Now this. Tough show for that young man. Hope he keeps on flying. But after two serious wrecks, even someone who really loves flying might have second thoughts.

Eric
N170BP

Post by N170BP »

That is one lucky 170 driver (somebody is looking out for him
upstairs....). How many people survive a mid-air collision
that happened at altitude?

The 170 engine, mount & cowling departed the aicraft in flight
(engine landed a good 1000+ feet from where the airplane came
down). We're still trying to figure out how he glided the 170
to the forced landing attempt in a field with no engine up front.
If he wouldn't have snagged the powerlines on the south side
of the attempted field, he might have walked away with
bumps and bruises. As it is, he was released from the
hospital the morning after the crash.

The 210 in question lost this "argument" big time (kinda weird....).
It came all the way apart in the air and the pieces were scattered
around a 1/4 mile circle. We never did find the belly section (where
the main gear is) or most of the cowling (I'm sure they'll turn up some day).

I'm kinda new to this accident aircraft recovery thing, and this
was my 1st fatal one. I sure don't envy the folks who do this kind
of thing for a living every day....
Bela P. Havasreti
'54 C-180
Harold Holiman

Post by Harold Holiman »

In another article in the same newspaper, go to South Sound area of web page, says a woman witness said the 210 was doing stunts which is hard to beleave. She doesn't sound like a very creditable witness or apparantly knows very little about flying. IMHO. Everything else sounds like the 210 just ran over the 170.

Harold H
N170BP

Post by N170BP »

Your most likely right (she's not credible). One guy saw
the two airplanes collide in the air (a portion of the 210
fell on his property). He didn't say anything about
stunting....
Bela P. Havasreti
'54 C-180
johneeb

Post by johneeb »

Please remember I am only the messanger. I gleaned the following information from the daily Flight Safety Information Service.
Johneb

Flight Safety Information (19MAY04-203)

Witness says plane was doing stunts before fatal crash in sky

Pilot who died was swiftly nosediving, climbing, woman says

Police tape surrounds a Cessna 170 on Monday after it collided with another Cessna on Sunday night. Ghryn E. Loveness, 20, who was flying the Cessna 170, survived the crash while the pilot of the other plane, Scott Christopher Devlin, 33, was killed.

TENINO -- Authorities have identified two pilots whose airplanes collided Sunday night above a rural area in southern Thurston County, killing one of them and injuring the other. The pilot who died, Scott Christopher Devlin, 33, was on his way to Renton from his hometown of Camas when his Cessna 210 crashed into another northbound aircraft, county and federal officials said Monday.

Ghryn E. Loveness, 20, was flying the other airplane. He was headed home to Vashon Island in a Cessna 170 after departing from Portland, county and federal officials said.

Thurston County Sheriff's deputies responded to a call at 8:39 p.m. Sunday at the 7600 block of Skookumchuck Road, where they found two crash sites about one-quarter mile apart. The planes collided about 800 feet above ground.

A witness who called 9-1-1 saw Devlin's plane doing stunts in the air, including sharp nosedives followed by swift ascents, shortly before the collision. Kathy Grayless had been watching Devlin's airplane from her kitchen window as it completed several flying stunts, she said Monday.

Then she heard a crash and spotted pieces of the plane falling from the sky. A lone wing twirling down from above was the last part of Devlin's plane that Grayless saw. "You couldn't even tell that it was a plane," she said of the wreckage. "It was a big, mangled mess. It was horrible to watch because you knew that (a
crash) is what had happened."

Loveness told witnesses that he didn't see the other plane coming. There were no passengers in either airplane.

The Thurston County Coroner's Office notified Devlin's wife of the crash Monday and will conduct an autopsy today. Loveness, who was conscious and talking when authorities arrived, was taken to Providence St. Peter Hospital on Sunday night. He has since been released from the Olympia hospital.

The National Transportation Safety Board took over the investigation Monday morning. Efforts to reach investigators Monday were unsuccessful. The Federal Aviation Administration also is conducting its own investigation. The results of the FAA's investigation will be turned over to the National Transportation Safety Board.

"We're looking for any anomalies in the normal flight plan," said Mike Fergus, an FAA spokesman. "We're trying to make sure everything was the way that it should be." Both planes were flying under a set of flight rules that do not require the pilots to file their plans with the FAA or any other government agency.

"That means they could merely take off and go to their destination," Fergus said. Such airborne collisions are unusual in Thurston County.

In the past decade, there have been 13 airplane accidents in cities throughout Thurston County, according to a National Transportation Safety Board database. Those figures might not include accidents in unincorporated areas of the county.

Most of the accidents involved mechanical failures. Two were fatal.

"Ones like this where one plane strikes another one is extremely rare," said Capt. Dan Kimball, of the Sheriff's Office. "This is like an example of the worst luck somebody could have." http://www.theolympian.com/home/news/20 ... 2580.shtml
N170BP

Post by N170BP »

Guess we will have to wait for the NTSB report to
come out. They will (no doubt) go through the
trouble of pulling ATC tapes and tracing the raw
returns to try and determine if there were any
significant changes in altitude of either aircraft
prior to the crash.

I might add (and I don't know how to put this without
sounding like a complete jerk) but the "local" folks
that live near the crash site (very rural area) didn't
seem to be very "aviation savvy" to me....

Bottom line, let's try to learn from this one (lift either wing
and scan the horizon often whenever you fly) and wait
for the NTSB report to come out.
Bela P. Havasreti
'54 C-180
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

I once had to explain (merely over the phone) to an FAA inspector why I'd been reported as performing "airbatics" in a Cessna 150. Someone had called in and reported a "Piper Cub" doing "stunts" and "airbatics" by "nosediving" and "zooming".
I explained to the inspector that I was the CFI on the instructional flight conducted under FAR's 91 and 61, and my student pilot was practicing stall recoveries over an unpopulated area above 3,000 feet, under my supervision.
The matter was immediately dropped.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)