Tring to figure out what this item is on back middle of Piano Key

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

RCoulter

Tring to figure out what this item is on back middle of Piano Key

Post by RCoulter »

I have a 1950 170A and am in the process of completing a new circuit breaker setup and replaced all switches and grommets in the keys. There is a black unit on the back middle of the piano keys that I am trying to figure out what it is for (See Pic Attached). Power was wired to it through the landing light switch, as well as the wires that go out to my landing/taxi light. I am putting the landing and taxi lights on their own switch. Just curious if anyone knows what this unit is and what is wired to it. I have looked through the manuals and such and cannot identify it. I will do some continuity testing on it this weekend when I am back up at the plane.
IMG_4640.jpg
1950 C170A - N9793A
voorheesh

Re: Tring to figure out what this item is on back middle of Piano Key

Post by voorheesh »

I had a 1950 Cessna 170A a few years back and it had the same device on the piano keys and wired to the landing light
If I recall correctly, it was a double pole double throw switch that controlled the landing light circuit. I could be mistaken. Others more knowledgeable than me can help you with your question. But this is an early take.
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Have you looked at the Illustrated Parts Catalog for your serial number airframe..? (Self resetting circuit breaker 2A, for the T&B and/or stall warning)
IMG_2504.jpeg
IMG_2505.jpeg
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

I'll confirm George is correct. It is a self reseting circuit breaker for the T&B and stall warning.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Are you certain power to it is THRU the landing light switch..? It should have it’s power supplied continuously…. not only when the land/light switch is activated. Perhaps it’s wired/sourced on the “hot” buss side of that switch?
IMG_2513.jpeg
IMG_2514.jpeg
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
RCoulter

Post by RCoulter »

Yeah power is being pulled rom the load on the landing light switch. So not the line from the switch. Very thankful for your input. Would it be better just on a standard 2A breaker by itself? Looks a tad rusty inside. I checked my IPC but was a bit confused. Yours actually shows the breaker…mine doesn’t. Quite interesting.

I don’t have a turn and bank indicator anymore so it’s just powering the Stall Horn….which I recently rebuilt and got working! Have an AV30 for turn and bank.

You all rock!
1950 C170A - N9793A
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

If the auto-reset breaker still works…I’d keep it. You certainly can replace it with a common breaker OR fuse…just log it, IMO.

Auto-reset C.B.s are not expensive.
RCoulter

Post by RCoulter »

I just bought a new one. This one had cracks in the housing and looked like it had been glued.

I’ll roll with what they said to roll with. Excited to get this bird all redone.

Thanks so much for your knowledge.
1950 C170A - N9793A