Beringer Brakes?

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

rschreiber

Beringer Brakes?

Post by rschreiber »

Has anyone done a field approval for the Beringer brake system? I know they're a little overkill for a 170, but we have them in another plane and love them. They currently have an STC for the 180/185 series and I think the wheel bolt pattern matches the 170B gear legs. Any thoughts?
Ryan
WJRem

Re: Beringer Brakes?

Post by WJRem »

I've wondered the same. Looking forward to the collective wisdom in the replies.
Bill Remington
'52 170B, N118F, s/n: 25329
C-145-2, Electroair Electronic ignition
Decorah, IA
Email: theremingtons at me.com
redacted

Post by redacted »

I went down this rabbit hole last year. Bottom line, don't bother trying. Just get double pucks, STC from airframes alaska available.

I love Beringer, bought a set for my Lancair and it's a great product. I would love a set of red wheels for the 170, and the weight reduction, and the amazing pedal feel and braking capability. Support in the USA is just the couple folks in SC and they do a good job. But being a French company it can be hard and expensive to get some parts. As far as field approval goes, go read US DOT FAA Order 8300.16A and AC 43-210A and that will give you an idea of what you're going to have to go through. Also you're gonna spend many thousands of dollars for a set, I was into the Lancair for near $6k. In this case the Juice ain't worth the squeeze. Also I spoke with them at OSH this year and they couldn't comment if an STC was forthcoming for the 170 fleet so....if there is an STC in the works the feds will never approve a 337. you'll have to wait for the STC.
Nathaniel Perlman
1952 170B
N2282D S/N 20434
cfzxo

Post by cfzxo »

I traded a set of heavy 185 gear legs with no hours on them as the owner put his 185 on anfibs when he purchased it new. Clair at Beringer was looking for a set for testing. She sent me a complete wheel gear setup for the super cub we were bringing back to life. At that time she said they had nothing that would fit my 170. Beautiful gear they make , I had the gear laying around in my hangar,as it was too heavy for the 170, I tried to trade them for lighter 180 gear but because they where new old stock I was looking for nice set. No luck there,so the trade with Beringer was excellent.nice to hear that the gear I sent her may have resulted in them producing Cessna wheels and brakes. Nice people to deal with.
rschreiber

Post by rschreiber »

Thanks for the insight, all. My dad also has the Beringers on his Lancair and really loves them. I just sent a message to Beringer and this was their reply:

“There is progress on the Cessna 170 and it is in the EASA certification process now.

Hope to have Q1 next year.”
Ryan