FAA CARES - Online Registration (& Records) Services

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

dstates

FAA CARES - Online Registration (& Records) Services

Post by dstates »

I spoke to the aircraft registration representative at the FAA hangar at Oshkosh and she told me about a new site the FAA has created. Instead of requesting a CD with all of the aircraft registry and airworthiness info (for $10 and then wait for it in the mail), you can now get all of that online, for free, for any airplane, any time.

How to do it....
Go to cares.faa.gov. You will need to create an account and download a verification app like Ockta or Google Authenticator. Once you have done that you can look up registry and airworthiness documents for any tail number. I tried it and it works well. I looked at my tail number as well as others. This will be valuable when looking to purchase an airplane, to make sure the FAA received your last 337, and many other reasons.

She said only a portion of this site is completed (one portion is the aircraft records), so they are not advertising it and don't have a link from their main page. But it is definitely up and running and she told me to go try it out.
Snap4.jpg
Snap5.jpg
Snap7.jpg
Snap8.jpg
Snap9.jpg
N1235D - 1951 170A - SN: 20118
n2582d

Re: FAA CARES - Online Registration Services

Post by n2582d »

Doug,
Thanks for posting this! It needs to placed as a “sticky note” in the Mx Library. It answers my question to Harlow in the recent discussion regarding removing fuel pumps on 1948 C-170s. STCs prior to October 1, 1955 are considered approved data rather than just acceptable data. So, if one can find a field approval prior to this date, any matching alteration using this data is approved just as if you had an STC to do the alteration. The hard part, of course, is finding that needle in a haystack 337 form you’re trying to match.
Gary
dstates

Re: FAA CARES - Online Registration Services

Post by dstates »

n2582d wrote:Doug,
Thanks for posting this! It needs to placed as a “sticky note” in the Mx Library. It answers my question to Harlow in the recent discussion regarding removing fuel pumps on 1948 C-170s. STCs prior to October 1, 1955 are considered approved data rather than just acceptable data. So, if one can find a field approval prior to this date, any matching alteration using this data is approved just as if you had an STC to do the alteration. The hard part, of course, is finding that needle in a haystack 337 form you’re trying to match.
That thread is why I posted this. I was able to find the 337 you were looking for by getting the tail number from the picture in the newsletter article and then just pulling up the info. That 337 was the last entry in the airworthiness section.
N1235D - 1951 170A - SN: 20118