New Book out

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

mit

New Book out

Post by mit »

I just got a copy of a new book the Title is, Wings Over Wilderness, adventures of Alaska bush pilot Paul Shanahan. For those of you that like the Alaskana books this is a must read the author is a pilot and friend so I'm probably biassed. But it sure seems like a good book! I also know Paul and there are even more stories then are in the book that you would not believe. Well any way look for it or check it out at the libary ISBN is 0-9747722-08.
Tim
zero.one.victor

Post by zero.one.victor »

I enjoy reading those types of books. I've read several of Bud Helmerick's books,also a good one by a Canadian trapper/guide/pilot named Dick Turner entitled "Wings of the North".

Eric
AR Dave

Post by AR Dave »

Eric,
I just talked to Jeff Helmerick yesterday. The fellar that is putting the ARTIC TERN back together in Fairbanks is sorta REAL SLOW. Jeff told me that he's going to push it now though. Jeff likes original, so he'll be putting it back with wheel pants even. Problem is, he has 13 planes like this now.
We came close to having him at Petit Jean 170. That's cause he bought a wooden Mooney (is that what he told me) and has it hangered in Indiana. He's building a hanger for a plane and motorhome in Arizona shortly. This is for Bud and his wife! How about Bud being our guest speaker next year? :wink:
zero.one.victor

Which Arctic Tern is being rebuilt? I think ALL of Bud Helmerick's airplanes were named the Arctic Tern- a 140,then a 170,then later still a 180.
Anyone out there who hasn't read his books,you should check one out. your local library probably either has them or can get on on an inter-library deal. "Flight of the Arctic tern", "Last of the Bush Pilots", and several others. They'll be listed under Harmon Helmericks, also at least one of the books was written by his wife but I can't recall her name.

Eric
rudymantel

Post by rudymantel »

The "wooden Mooney" is possibly an M-18 "Mite", a little single-seater with manually retractable gear.
The M-18L had a Lycoming 65 hp engine and the M-18C a Continental.
Fun airplanes !
Rudy
AR Dave

Post by AR Dave »

Yes I got confused on the Artic Tern last time. I've never read the books myself, Jeff did tell me where to go get one. I was asking him where the 140 was, the Artic Tern. He explained "Oh, the Artic Tern is the 170". Guess I better get the book and straighten him out! :lol:
dacker

Post by dacker »

Hey, I think it would be great if we could get Bud Helmericks to speak. I have read "The Last Bush Pilot" twice now. Great read! I have not seen the other books yet, but I will try to add them to my collection.
David
zero.one.victor

The one Helmericks book in my bookcase is "the Last of the Bush Pilots",but I've also read "the flight of the Arctic Tern", as well as a couple others. There's a chapter on Helmericks in "Heroes of the Horizon",a book about old-time Alaska pilots written by Gerry Bruder. He's written some other stuff too,as well as flying floatplanes for a living for Kenmore Air here in Puget Sound.

Eric
flyguy

WOODEN MOONEYS

Post by flyguy »

THIS FIRST OF THE 4-PLACE MOONEYS, THE M-20, HAD WOOD WINGS COVERED WITH JUST PAINT AND A WOODEN TAIL. (THERE WERE SO MANY PROBLEMS WITH THE TAIL THAT MOST HAVE BEEN CONVERTED TO META)L. A COUPLE OF THE SUBSEQUENT MOONEYS HAD THE PLYWOOD WINGS COVERED WITH FABRIC BUT METAL THROUGOUT THE REST OF THE STRUCTURE.
OLE GAR SEZ - 4 Boats, 4 Planes, 4 houses. I've got to quit collecting!
zero.one.victor

I think Mooney M20's had wood wings thru 1960.
AR Dave

Post by AR Dave »

It is a M18C-55, All Wood, 1 seater, Continental 65 hp, made in 1955. Only metal is a tubing cage around the fuselage where pilot sits. Everything behind the pilot and wings are wood. He said it is a fun little plane to fly!
AR Dave

The Helmerick Report

Post by AR Dave »

My Typical Alaskan Tuesday: Had a 10 hr layover in Anchorage, so just had to check on everyone in Palmer and pickup the mail. Caught up with Jeff Helmerick, he said that he’s just finished building a hanger in Arizona and having a home built now for Bud (Alaska Bush Pilot – Artic Tern). The airport is 1AZ2 or 2AZ1, but I couldn’t find it in my Flight Guide. Eventually the 170 Artic Tern will be sent down, if the metal man will ever finish it. I finally figured out (like you said Eric) that the 140 was the first Artic Tern, then the 170, & 180. Then he showed me his newer additions to the plane collection. Biplanes and the Moony Mighty Mite?
I was looking for Brian with the FAA to sign me a field approval for the Bartone Exhaust Mod, I so desperately need. But Brian went down in a plane crash last year. I described my exhaust muffler leak at the exhaust risers. They gave me a bottle of Taber’s Flo-Ex, Hot Exhaust System Sealer, $2 per 2oz bottle. Said that it was like liquid glass or something and would do the trick.
Then I went up to hang around the FSS and visit with Jenny. Made me remember how much we depend on the FSS in Alaska. She was bringing the flock home one by one before dark. Mike had flown to Seldovia the day before and didn’t make it, so that “pilot down feeling” was in the air. Reminded me of how I learned to fly one winter searching for a plane that was found between Eklutna Lake and Pioneer Peak.
A 46 T-Craft called in, at 4:30 and asked what time dark was and could he make it to Gulkana, since he didn’t have lights. Sunset was 4:01 and dark was not long after, so he said he’d put her down and go visit a friend. Never saw him, just heard him on the radio. I visited a bit longer and then as I was leaving, I found the T-craft in front of a hanger, the owner seemed lost. Went to help, he was looking for Brian, told him Brian had crashed, he said oh’ and we found him a tie down at Jeff’s. Then he just had to show me his plane that he’d flew up from Montana. He informed me how he’d went down to Ace hardware and rigged the 2, 5 gal plastic barrel fuel tanks that sat on the back of his seat and could also be used for a headrest, vented and everything. Hoses and valves running down the front right side of the seat back. He should be the new plane at Fairbanks by now. I gave him a ride to the Valley Hotel and passed on a drink because I was running out of time.
Drove to some friends and had forgotten how slick the ice roads are. For a moment, the back got in front and I got that helpless feeling before turning into the slide and stopping a ground loop.
Then it was time to go and as I headed to the Airport, that somber feeling of leaving home came over me and I felt so blessed to have lived two decades in the Last Frontier and still be living.
Last edited by AR Dave on Sun Dec 19, 2004 8:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
mvivion

Post by mvivion »

Bud Helmericks is one of eight pilots being honored on the 30th in Fairbanks for having learned to fly more than 50 years ago.

Others being honored are: Randy Acord, George Clayton, Richard Wien, Merril Wien, Jim Drew, Sid Stealey, and Dick McIntyre.

For perspective, and as an example, Dick McIntyre flew the B-29 which searched for, and found, the B-29 crew that had gone down on the Greenland icecap in the late 40's/early 50's. This was the B-29 that Daryl Greenamyer tried to salvage a few years ago, and burned up in the process. Dick flew the rescue out of Fairbanks, by the way, and the accident B-29 was Fairbanks based as well. Just one of the many stories these guys were involved in.

Bud is a real character, and a lot of fun, and he's done a lot of stuff as well.

Tickets to the banquet are available at Tamarack Air. Come join us in honoring these guys.

Mike Vivion
AR Dave

Post by AR Dave »

Saw a Letter-to-the-Editor in the ADN yesterday. Mike was thanking everyone for their part in the search and rescue that brought him home safely. Good to hear another happy ending!
Just wondering what the 2004 accident count is so far, in Alaska! I know the FAA had an ambitious target of 125 plane wrecks set for 2004.
mvivion

Post by mvivion »

Less than 100. A record in recent years.

And thank you one and all, Alaskan aviators, no matter where you call home!

Mike Vivion