CA Sep 29-Oct 1 North/South Fly-In Columbia Airport (O22)

Upcoming aviation events and reports.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

darhymes

CA Sep 29-Oct 1 North/South Fly-In Columbia Airport (O22)

Post by darhymes »

It’s time for another North/South Fly-In at Columbia Airport! Bring your families and friends (and 170s, of course) and enjoy the excellent campground with restrooms, showers and electrical outlets. If camping is not your thing, there are also hotels nearby. We will have a group dinner in town at El Jardin Restaurant on Saturday at 5:30pm. Evening campfire afterwards.

Even though it will be off season, there are plenty of things to do in town. The Columbia State Historic Park/Downtown is a great place for adults and children alike. It is a one mile walk from the campground with an ice cream shop along the way.

This will be a wonderful opportunity for all the California members to get together, meet with old friends and make new ones. Most 170s representing their half of the state will receive recognition and bragging rights until the next N/S Fly-In. If you don’t have a 170, fly in anyway! Airplanes and pilots of all types are welcome (and encouraged) to join in the fun.

Attractions at Columbia State Historic Park:
Town tour Saturday and Sunday at 11am
Museum open 10-4
“Stories In Stone” cemetery tour Sep 29 & 30
Fallon Theater showing “The Graduate”
Matelot Gulch gold panning (great for kids)

Accommodations:
Columbia Airport Campground https://www.tuolumnecounty.ca.gov/705/C ... Campground
Columbia Inn Motel (closest to airport) 209-533-0446
Fallon Hotel and City Hotel usually have very limited availability. Reservations at http://www.reservecalifornia.com
Dustin Rhymes
'55 170B N4410B S/N 26754
'06 G550 “The Silver Bullet”
cessna170bdriver

Re: CA Sep 29-Oct 1 North/South Fly-In Columbia Airport (O22

Post by cessna170bdriver »

Columbia was one of mine and Karen’s favorite destinations when we lived out that way.
Miles

“I envy no man that knows more than myself, but pity them that know less.”
— Thomas Browne
darhymes

Post by darhymes »

The North/South Fly-In is less than one week away! The long-term forecasts are showing good weather and comfortable temps. I'm planning on getting to the campground late Friday afternoon. Departing late Sunday morning. I hope to see many of you there!
Dustin Rhymes
darhymes

CA Sep 29-Oct 1 N/S Fly-In Columbia Airport (O22) CANCELLED

Post by darhymes »

Well...it looks like the weather isn't going to cooperate after all. There is now a forecast for rain and low clouds through Saturday and into Sunday. Since many of us would be traveling a greater distance along routes with mountains, I am going to make an early decision and cancel the Columbia Fly-In at this time. I have already rescheduled for next year (Sep 20-22) and also plan on doing some local fly-ins in SoCal and NorCal before then. Hope to see y'all soon!
Dustin Rhymes
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Well… there might be another event of interest in your state this weekiend……over at Huntington Beach: http://www.seecalifornia.com/festivals/ ... rshow.html

…and…there are a number of Octoberfestivities going on this weekend and thru the month: http://www.seecalifornia.com/festivals/ ... rfest.html
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
darhymes

Re: CA Sep 29-Oct 1 North/South Fly-In Columbia Airport (O22)

Post by darhymes »

Thank you to everyone that planned to attend the N/S Fly-In. Many of you backed up my decision to cancel with weather reports from the local area and I truly appreciated it. I am already making plans for next year. It should be a fun one!
Dustin Rhymes