Looking for replacement 8.00x6 tires

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

ronnielombard

Looking for replacement 8.00x6 tires

Post by ronnielombard »

Hi, I'm looking for a brand new replacement for Goodyear Flight Special II 8.00x6 tyres, but I don't know which brand to choose. Does anyone have experience recommending a quality firm? Thank
c170b53

Re: Looking for replacement 8.00x6 tires

Post by c170b53 »

Welcome aboard Ronnie, nice first post..don’t have a recommendation but like you I’d like to know the same
Jim McIntosh..
1953 C170B S/N 25656
02 K1200RS
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

I’ve used Desser Tire almost exclusively for the last 30 years. Their re-treads are on our Skyhawk and are holding up well beyond expectations. You didn’t mention Ply rating desired.

Specialty Tire of America (formerly McCreary) Aero Classics is on my 170 (in standard 6:00-6) that have held up very well….also their tubes.

Not likely to be a problem for you perhaps, but on other aircraft I’ve had disappointing results with Condor and Michelin fitting inside wheel-wells (outside size not as compact as Goodyear despite specifications) and expect Goodyear to be one of the best. Why do you want to go to another brand.. price perhaps?

https://shop.desser.com/collections/tires-and-tubes/
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
strangebird

Post by strangebird »

I got the Condor 8.00x6 new tires from Desser no sales tax free shipping, tubes I got GY off ebay, some guy had hundreds of new tubes for a great price, they were in a sealed package, date was 2018, so far one year later no issue I think they are sold out now

Compare with ACS prices, for tubes and tires, ACS had free shipping but charged sales tax

At the time. late 2022, Desser did not have any retreads, no GY 8.00x6 tires in stock so i went with the Condors you need to call them as the website seems not to be updated as to stock some times
ghostflyer

Post by ghostflyer »

I have been using Michelin tires and tubes.I run 8,s also . When fitting a new tire I always fit a new tube . I can’t remember the ply rating of the michelins but I land on all sorts of bush strips and beaches. My main wheel pressure is 26 psi. My tail wheel tire is a genuine Harbour Freight tire and the tube is filled with a polyerurthane foam. I have found the Michelin tires tread thicker and tougher because we have a thorn [called a 3 corner jack] that grows prolifically in the bush and yet to have a flat tire because of them . Initially my aircraft had one michelin tire and a uniroyal tire. The uniroyal tire /tube was patched a number of times until one day the side wall bulged out after landing . I fitted a Condor tire [it was cheap] for replacement but it too kept getting punctures. I was then offered 2 brand new Michelin tires and tubes 8 * 6 . So far no issues .