Gross Weight

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

IP076

Gross Weight

Post by IP076 »

There’s a 170 listed on Anchorage Craigslist claiming to have a 2500 pound gross weight limit. Anyone know of an STC that does such an increase?

For reference, here’s the post: https://anchorage.craigslist.org/avo/d/ ... 26221.html

I’m just curious about the gross weight claim, do what you wish with the rest.
ghostflyer

Re: Gross Weight

Post by ghostflyer »

The weight increase for any 170 model has been researched by many and that’s including me . I approached the FAA and put up many arguments why an increase in all up max weight could be done . The basic answer was a new type certification process would have to be done . The new certification process would have to be done for 2 aircraft of 170 heritage . No.1 it would have be done with a Continental engined aircraft and the other no.2 for the Lycoming powered aircraft . Firstly It wasn’t about whether the aircraft design could take the increase but all the legal mango gumbo. [due to different models of 170,s] Then it was all the testing that had to be done . For some reasoning the FAA wasn’t interested in helping . Their response or advice was “ Buying a new Cessna 172 would be be cheaper or go experimental.”
Ryan Smith

Post by Ryan Smith »

Probably the same math that says that’s a $100K+ panel.
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

I don't recall ever hearing of any gross weight increase STC or otherwise.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
falco

Post by falco »

2500# GW? ...rumors and fairy tales about an imminent pending gross weight increase for the 170 have been around for a long time...

BTW, I'm selling a very nice little bridge...
ghostflyer

Post by ghostflyer »

That bridge ? is it the Golden Gate ?? Is it very well used ?
n2582d

Post by n2582d »

Tom Anderson has the same plane for sale on Barnstormers. No mention of gross weight increase on that advertisement though.
Gary
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

It’s that bridge to Hawaii…. just as soon as someone understands their wife…
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
cessnut

Post by cessnut »

It says it is scheduled for a 2500 gross weight. Not sure what that means. I believe this airplane has been advertised for sale by Thomas Anderson of XP Mods/TLGW. Perhaps he is developing an STC? My airplanes are scheduled for lots of awesome mods in my mind. Not sure if they will ever happen:)
voorheesh

Post by voorheesh »

Is it possible this airplane might have an FAA authorization or STC limited to operations in the state of Alaska?
Bruce Fenstermacher

voorheesh wrote:Is it possible this airplane might have an FAA authorization or STC limited to operations in the state of Alaska?
Have you ever seen a Standard Category aircraft who's area of operation was restricted? I don't think the FAA has a method ie regulation to do that. Experimental Category yes.

cessnut

Post by cessnut »

Bruce, I believe Voorheesh is referencing 91.323.
voorheesh

Post by voorheesh »

cessnut wrote:Bruce, I believe Voorheesh is referencing 91.323.
That regulation (involving air carrier and official/government ops) and a few STCs or 337s I ran into that specifically limited operations to within the state of AK. Those involved external load mechanisms installed on fixed wing aircraft, as I recall.
Bruce Fenstermacher

cessnut wrote:Bruce, I believe Voorheesh is referencing 91.323.
Interesting but 91.323 could not be used with a 170 because it was certified under CAR 3.
  • § 91.323 Increased maximum certificated weights for certain airplanes operated in Alaska.

(a) Notwithstanding any other provision of the Federal Aviation Regulations, the Administrator will approve, as provided in this section, an increase in the maximum certificated weight of an airplane type certificated under Aeronautics Bulletin No. 7–A of the U.S. Department of Commerce dated January 1, 1931, as amended, or under the normal category of part 4a of the former Civil Air Regulations (14 CFR part 4a, 1964 ed.) if that airplane is operated in the State of Alaska by—

IA DPE

Post by IA DPE »

Perhaps the seller means that he has routinely loaded the aircraft at 2,500 lbs. 8O :lol:
1955 C170B N2993D s/n 26936
1986 DG-400 N9966C