185 gearlegs on a 170B

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

Flyinghaydens

185 gearlegs on a 170B

Post by Flyinghaydens »

I have a 1952 170B with the Avcon conversion. It has gearlegs with the p/n 808763 on the :? right and 808811 on the left. We think it might have 185 gearlegs instead of 180 as is stated in the parts manual. Does anybody know if this is legal, or do we have to go hunting for 180 gearlegs?
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

What basis of approval were the present gearlegs installed? If they are mentioned by partnumber as having been installed on a form 337 and block 3 is approved by the FAA,...or if the "Avcon conversion" regards the landing gear (and not just the engine, or a rotating beacon, or some entirely different mod) and applies to those part numbers then you're good to go.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
zero.one.victor

Re: 185 gearlegs on a 170B

Post by zero.one.victor »

Flyinghaydens wrote:.........We think it might have 185 gearlegs instead of 180 as is stated in the parts manual. Does anybody know if this is legal, or do we have to go hunting for 180 gearlegs?
I don't know what you mean by "stated in the parts manual". The stock 170 legs are in the 170 Illustrated Parts catalog (IPC). Anything else is a mod that requires an STC/337 or a field approval/337. It's legal if it's approved either by STC or by FAA sign-off. If the legs were bootlegged on,with no paperwork, I'd just try for a field approval as-is,instead of installing 180 legs & then having to get them approved. That's assuming the gear legs you have seem to be a good match for the airplane.
By the way, Hayden,you've got two topics going on what seems to be the same issue. Kinda confusing. Maybe George could "merge" them togethjer if you asked him nice :wink:
Like I posted on the other topic,those part numbers you list don't seem to be correct for either 170 180 or 185 gear legs. ???

Eric
Flyinghaydens

185 gearlegs

Post by Flyinghaydens »

I think the numbers are wrong. According to several people, the numbers never went over 0741, so we have some work to do. Thanks all
Dave Clark

Post by Dave Clark »

Are they .680 or .750" thick? If they're .680 they are from a 180. Were the numbers you found rubber stamped on the legs or just on the paperwork? A common problem is that the rubber stamped number is lost at the first paint job.
Dave
N92CP ("Clark's Plane")
1953 C-180
Flyinghaydens

Post by Flyinghaydens »

They meausure in the .074 I think, but they have alot of really thick paint, and we will not know anything until we knock the paint off and clean it up a bit. So that is where we are at.
zero.one.victor

I can't find the topic now,but just recently someone asked if there was an STC for 180 gear leg installation.
From the March 2004 Flypaper:
"STC- eric Leclercq #7382 Quebec is the holder of the stc in Canada & USA to install C180 gear legs,p/n 0741001 through -8 or p/n 054118-2 thru -3 (lady legs) on all 170,170A,& 170B models. Contact him at 450-452-2567,ericc170@sympatico.ca"

Eric (the other eric)
JTS

Post by JTS »

First, I would like to say Hi to everyone as I've just actively joined the forums, and am proud to say that I'm an association member.

As for the "180 leg" STC(SAO3-55) that Eric Leclercq holds, I bought a copy from him for $300 CDN and am happy with the results. I installed early 180 legs on my 170. The STC is full of good illustrations(Pictures are important) :? and instructions along with some cautionary notes. Also, he posted it out at the same time that I sent my payment to speed things up.

Jody
Last edited by JTS on Sat May 29, 2004 1:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
'52 170B CF-FDH Ser# 20841
blueldr

Post by blueldr »

Why is it that we suddenly must pay $300 Cdn. to install gear legs that we've been doing for forty years?
BL
zero.one.victor

You don't have to buy the STC, just install them & go for a field approval like you been doing. Maybe they'll OK it,maybe not,maybe they'll want you to develop an approved STC of your own,or get one from someone else.
Eric Leclercq coresponded with me quite a bit while he was jumping thru all the hoops required by Transport Canada (their version of the FAA) to obtain a multiple-use STC. I guess he did it all again (or concurrently) with the FAA also. I took quite a few measurements off my ragwing,which he needed to get that STC. $300 CDN (probably around $225 US at the current exchange rate) seems like a lot,doesn't it? Stop and think about all the work that went into getting the STC. If he sells a thousand,he'll be rolling in dough. What if he only sells 2? Not much of a payback.
I think that buying Eric L's STC may be a pretty good bargain if you get out of going thru all the field approval BS with your local FSDO. They might ask for engineering data,flight/taxi testing,etc.-- a simple "we've been doing it for years" may not cut it with them. And if yours is one of those "we don't do field approvals" FSDO's, it may be the deal of the century!

Eric
Dave Clark

Post by Dave Clark »

Before you do any work call the local FSDO and talk about their feelings on doing a field approval. I'll guarantee they'll be more cooperative BEFORE you do the work. Just don't tell them there 's an stc available.
Dave
N92CP ("Clark's Plane")
1953 C-180
blueldr

Post by blueldr »

Eric, I'm not quibbling about how much effort Mr. LeClerc put into getting the STC, or how much it's worth. My question is, "Why in hell do we even need one?" after all these years and literally hundreds of previous installations.
BL
Flyinghaydens

Post by Flyinghaydens »

They measure .750 in thickness, which means they are 185 gearlegs. What I would like to find out is if there is someone out there that has got a field approval for 185 gearlegs on a 170B. Keep me posted. :?
zero.one.victor

blueldr wrote:Eric, I'm not quibbling about how much effort Mr. LeClerc put into getting the STC, or how much it's worth. My question is, "Why in hell do we even need one?" after all these years and literally hundreds of previous installations.
You've got a point,Dick,it should be a no-brainer for a field approval. Should be. But apparently it isn't,at least in some parts of the country.
There should be such a thing as a "common sense STC" for things like this,which have been done hundreds of times before. Why do we have to pay $145 for a cargas STC for our 170's to make cargas use legal? The airplane doesn't know if I have the paperwork or not. Same kind of deal.
If a person can get the 180 legs OK'd on a field approval,more power to him. If they can't, then get the STC from Leclercq.

Eric
spiro

Post by spiro »

Flyinghaydens wrote:They measure .750 in thickness, which means they are 185 gearlegs.
starting in mid-'68 all 180's came with the same .750 gear as 185's.