1948 Trim tab cable adjustment

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

marktoula1

1948 Trim tab cable adjustment

Post by marktoula1 »

Hello All,

I am continuing on with my refurbishing of a 1948 170 I got in North Carolina last year. I have to admit everything I have moved has brought on a challenge and there were moments I really felt like I had bought some really big yard art. However it seems I am moving forward at a good pace and have a new question. I am replacing all of my cables. I am very soon ready to reinstall the horizontal tail and haven't found anything that tells how to adjust the trim tab cable. Anywhere I can find this information? I would really appreciate it.

Arthur
marktoula1

Re: 1948 Trim tab cable adjustment

Post by marktoula1 »

I don’t think I explained my question totally. I’m referring to the the three stop blocks on cable. Where are they correctly placed and spaced. Mine where laying loose in the bottom of the fuselage.
Arthur
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

There are likely folks here who can give you a better description than I… but the three blocks are installed on the trim-cables at the midpoint of the fuselage behind the baggage compartment. See Item 7, Fig 44, pg 82 of the IPC.

One (center block) is clamped on one cable (example the UP cable) , …then the other two are clamped onto the other cable (DN cable)….

The one on the UP cable will run into the others which limits the angle of the trim tab.

The Elevator Trim Tab should be adjusted to its’ max UP limit….and the UP limit-block slid along the cable to contact/limit, and tightened/clamped to limit further movement of the center-block.

The Trim tab should be moved to the max DN limit …and the DN limit block slid to contact the center block….then tightened/clamped.

The Trim Tab UP/DN limit angles are published in the Owners Manual and “The C-170 Rigging instructions” found in our Mx Library Section of these Forums (which requires Membership in The Int’l Cessna 170 Assoc’n” to access full privileges in these Forums. (I see you are a Member, Arthur….this last info posted for visitors to these Forums.)

Hope this help.
Attachments
CLICK TO ENLARGE FIG 44 PG 82 C170 IPC
CLICK TO ENLARGE FIG 44 PG 82 C170 IPC
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
marktoula1

Post by marktoula1 »

Yes it helps thank you