ASOS Online & State Registration Fees

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

doug8082a

ASOS Online & State Registration Fees

Post by doug8082a »

A while back I was compiling a list of links for my EAA chapter's website. One of the ones I came across was for ASOS information online. Don't know if anyone is aware of it or not, but I found it useful so I thought I'd pass it along:

http://www.faa.gov/asos/map/map.htm

This page gives you a map of the U.S. Click on the desired State and you get a listing of the ASOS installations for that state by Airport ID along with their frequencies and phone numbers. Click on the desired Airport ID and you get directed to a NOAA site with periodic (hourly I think, but not sure) info from the selected ASOS station.

It's great for checking in on the weather situation from work when you are trying to decide if you are going to bail out early and go flying. :D Gee, I'm doing that right now :D
Doug
Larry Holtz

Post by Larry Holtz »

Doug
This information is also available by toll free phone.
1-877-ANY-AWOS (1-877-269-2967)
Larry
doug8082a

Post by doug8082a »

Thanks Larry. Just passing along the web link for folks who may not know about it.
Doug
zero.one.victor

Post by zero.one.victor »

For those of you in Washington,WS-DOT Aviation Division is in the process of installing a network of "airport cams" which are accessable on-line ( http://www.wsdot.wa.gov/aviation/ ).
So far,they have them at Skykomish,Blaine, and 4 or 5 other airports,with others coming soon including one at Port Townsend. I think they update the online photo every 5 minutes. They generally have the camera pointed at the skyline at one end of the runway- for example,the one at Skykomish is on a pole at midfield pointed east toward Steven's Pass. At least it can give you some kinda idea whether the Pass is socked in or not.

Eric
doug8082a

Post by doug8082a »

Cool stuff. Wish they had those in New England.
Doug
zero.one.victor

Oh,we're paying for it. These airport cams are one of the reasons WS-DOT Aviation sez they're broke and need more money. They've increased our annual airplane registration fees,and darn near doubled our annual pilot registration fees. IMHO,these camera's are kind of a solution in search of a problem. By the time you look at the airport cam online,go to the airport,fire up the airplane,and fly to where the camera is,the weather's changed (this is Washington,remember?). Just more money spent for that warm fuzzy feeling,and another item on the list of "accomplishments". Phooey!

Eric
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Hey, Eric! Tell us about Wa. state's "annual pilot registration" fees. I'm not familiar with it. Is this a type of "profession" fee for commercial operatiors? How much is it, and the aircraft registration fees?
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
zero.one.victor

State airplane registration fees: $65 a year for a single engine ($25 for experimentals?),up from $58 last year and $54 6 years ago. You must register the airplane with the state,however you can't register it until you have proven that you have paid "use" (sales) tax on it either in Washington or some other state. Current sales/use tax rate in my county is 8.2%. Think about that on the typical 170 purchase price of $30-40K.
Pilot registration: Any holder/active user of an FAA certificate (not just pilot either,also A&P,etc) must register with the state. Current fee for pilot registration: $15 a year,up from $8 last year.
When you think about it,the state has a hell of a lot of money coming in from the flying community. Unfortunately,they blow a lot of the money on things like these airport cams,& "improvement grants" to Washington airports which a lot of the time are spent on fluff. Like a $30K grant to my airport a few years ago for a "super-unicom",which is a poor man's AWOS. But of limited utility as it is not on a discreet frequency,but a very busy CTAF frequency that serves 4 popular area airports.
They've also funded several hundred thousand dollars in "improvements" for Quillayute Airport,which sees an average of maybe one operation a day. It's located near Forks and the famed Hoh Rain Forest,where it rains 120" plus a year,& has been documented as one of the lousiest flying weather area's in the country. A colossal waste of money,that unfortunately seems to be typical of state government.

Eric
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

I'm trying to figure out how a state can charge a fee for a license that was issued by another gov't entity. Has anyone taken this to AOPA? Or (dare I suggest it?) ACLU? :roll:
What about if your airplane was registered somewhere else? What if your mailing address or official residence was out-of-state? How would they collect it? And what could they do about it? (One of the criticisms of a certain former president was that he actually lived in Connecticut but didn't pay personal state taxes there because he claimed Texas as his residence. He got away with it. Why not pilots in Washington?) Has anyone you know beaten the system?
I can see why you'd be pretty ticked off over this.
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
N170BP

Post by N170BP »

Some states (like ours, Washington) are getting downright
nasty when it comes to collecting revenue.

State law says if the aircraft is in Washington for 90 days
or more, you owe the tax. So you could have your bird
registered to your brother in Montana, or to an LLC
in Deleware, but if it sits in WA for at least 90 days, they
figure you owe the tax.

Most county run airports won't rent you a hangar or tie-down
spot unless you prove the aircraft is properly registered with
the state. Can't register the aircraft with the state until you
pay the use tax to the state dept. of revenue. Nice little
racket they have going....

About the only way you can get away with not paying the use
tax is if you keep the aircraft on a private airport (where
state patrol or sherrif squad cars can't get access to) and just
ignore their "nasty-gram" letters saying you owe the tax.

I know of one owner who called them and said "I ain't paying
no use tax, deal with it" 8O

There was legislation passed last year allowing them to levy
civil penalties now if you don't register the aircraft.

All this from a state that hasn't built a new freeway in the 34
years I've lived here, and they certainly haven't built any
new public use airports (indeed, a number of them have
disappeared over the years). Yet, they've collected taxes
from us all those 34 years. Makes you wonder where and
how the money was spent, doesn't it?

Compare it to where I am right now on vacation (in Florida).

Everytime I come down here, I run into a new expressway/
highway. Sure it costs a couple bucks to drive on it, but
I can go 85mph (my sister pays a yearly pass of $50 I think
for her local toll fees).

Anyway, don't get me going about Washington State (and
especially the use tax....)

Bela P. Havasreti
'54 C-170B N170BP
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

I guess a flight out of Wa. and back doesn't qualify as not being in the state for 90 days? (And that it'd be illegal to file a flight plan to Oregon for an overnight, then file another returning a day or so later, and using that to bolster the argument?) :twisted:
I think a lawsuit against the county might be interesting for their failure to provide services equally to you (a Wa. resident) and me a non-resident and exempt from the state's taxes. Sounds pretty unfair and illegal to me.
(Not to mention the pre-emptive power and authority of the federal gov't to issue the pilot's license. I can't imagine how a "pilot registration fee" could be enforced. Anyone know if it's been challenged in court?)
4-Shipp

Post by 4-Shipp »

Illinois has a similar requirement. You must register your aircraft and your pilot certificate. The cost is $20 each and good for two years. This has been a requirement since before I got my license in '79. For your money, you get a registration card for your wallet (covers your certificate registration) and a sticker for your aircraft window. You also get an Illinois state sectional and a very nice airport directory with photos of every registered public use airport in the state. You are required to register if you: A) are an Illinois resident and B) excercise the privelages of your certificate or operate your aircraft within the state (overflight with no landings doesn't count). For many years prior to aircraft ownership, I didn't register because I didn't fly in Illinois. I re-registered because we took the 170 home to see family often.

I was born and raised in Illinois and have always had a great deal of pride in the "Land of Lincoln". When I went on active duty 18 years ago, we chose to maintain our Illinois residency for convineince and tax advantages. Illinois doesn't require state income tax if I reside out of state. When we purchased N49CP we were stationed in Canada and I registered the plane using an Illinois address.

Shortly after Mayor Daley trashed Meiggs, I went on line and filed a change of address form officially moving 9CP to Texas. When I added a CFI rating I also changed my address to Texas. If Illinois continues towards certain proposed firearm laws, I will chagne me residency to Texas as well. Will they miss my $20 a year? Doubtfull, but some things are just the right thing to do.

As for the legality issue, I doubt it has ever been challenged. Pretty small potatos in Illinois, especially considering there is no tax liability with aircraft ownership.

Bruce
Bruce Shipp
former owners of N49CP, '53 C170B
zero.one.victor

For the last few years,Washington has been targeting RV owners who register in Oregon but reside in Washington. Lots & lots of tax revenue getting away from them,RV's are even more expensive than airplanes!
Re: state pilot registration, under my name,etc the front of my card sez :
"the above named person is a registered pilot within the state of Washiugton as described by the law until the expiration date. The registration fee is used for Air search & rescue,safety,and education."
The back sez "in accordance with RCWs 47.468.233 and 47.68.234,resident pilots and airmen are required to register annually with the Aviation Division .. (address follows)....registered pilots are required to carry their registration at all times while exercising the privileges of an airman's certificate issued buy ther FAA,and shall present such registration when requested......."
I don't think it's cost effective to "fight city hall" over a 15 dollar fee.

Eric
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Airline pilots too? And what about military? I can't help but feel a lawsuit is in order. (But, pay the fee until it's repealed.) :evil:
Larry Holtz

Post by Larry Holtz »

Due to a computer glitch at the Washington State Department of Transportation, I got a letter saying that I had not paid my $15. ( I had and got that cleared up with a phone call.) The letter explains who is exempt from registration.
1. A pilot who operates an aircraft exclusively in the service of any government or any political subdivision thereof.

2. A pilot registered under the laws of a Foreign Country.

3. A pilot engaged exclusively in commercial flying constituting an act of interstate or foriegn commerce.(ex. airline,charter or cargo flying.)

4. A person piloting an aircraft equipped with fully functioning dual controls when a licensed intructor is in full charge of one set of the controls and the flight is solely for instruction(ex. student pilot who has not soloed yet.) or for the demonstration of the aircraft to a bona fide prospective purchaser.

5. Pilots who are not actively flying in the state of Washington.

Larry