Puget Sound Area

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

N1478D

Post by N1478D »

Have you guys ever flown the Red River or the Brazos? Don't know about the Hudson, but river flying is a blast - as long as you go below or above the wires. :lol:

Just trying to be funny, flying the Hudson sounds incredible! The Brazos is a lot of fun though.
Joe
51 C170A
Grand Prairie, TX
LouLaSalle

Post by LouLaSalle »

Joe,

Prior to 9/11, going up the Hudson, you would be below the top Floor of the Trade Center, and it would be maybe 500' from the tip of your wing.
You could fly the length of Manhattan (12NM), as long as you stay below 1100'. If you are lucky, you can catch a glimpse of an NY Yankees game in progress. Then you could keep right on going up the Hudson, which I'm told looks like the Rhine, below Albany, and fly past West Point and all of the historic NY State sites. You still can do the same flight, but it just doesn't look the same without the WTC. Though, the NJ side is getting some new skyscrapers, almost as tall, but not as imposing as theWTC.

I live on the westen side of NJ, and enjoy flying the Delaware River up from Washington's Crossing up thru the Delaware Water Gap. It's narrower and a lot more twisty, but fun for sightseeing.

This is why God invented airplanes.
Lou La Salle
N2485D
Elephant Path, Pa. (PS03)
LouLaSalle

Post by LouLaSalle »

Vic,

That sounds like a great idea. But, it wasn't me that flew Choppers!
Nancy Novias was my instructress, I was her second Private Pilot, Barhydt was her first. She is a Captain for Continental now. I saw Angela a few years ago, when my wife spoke at a 99's function at Teterboro.

If I remember correctly, you gave me a Beechcraft ballcap, that I wore for years. It's still a small world. Get your endorsement, and come on down to Alexandria. My 170B is due back soon. The shop on LI has had it since Feb.1st. Says it will be a new airplane that I get back. I guess it will, he's doing the body work and paint, and I had Mattituck do the Continental,two years ago. Should be good for another 52 years.

Andover was the 1st airport other than TEB that I landed at as a student.
The runway was a lot different from TEB's 7000'.

Lou
Lou La Salle
N2485D
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

mrpibb wrote:George, I'm 5 mins from secaucus, And work in newark. could of given you a tour of Continental's mx facility. Mabee next time, what brought ya to NJ?
The next time you wind up in Secaucus, call me and I will take you through the Hudson River VFR corridor. A very memorable flight!
Lou, have you been down the corridor lately? whats up with all them hellicopters? it's tough to shake em when they get on your tail!! they seem to fixate on fixed wing aircraft for some reason, like you got a magnet or something. :wink:
Lou and Vic, ...I expect to be back for a few days in a month. (One of my regular clients has a flight scheduled to have lunch with my former pax, the CofC) :wink: We'll be on to TEB for a few days. I'll call/email you both and try to get together!
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
mrpibb

Post by mrpibb »

Lou,
I run into Nancy from time to time at work, she's married so i forget her last name, looks the same though. I saw Angela a few months back when I stopped at teb to pick up some charts, Do remember that car she used to drive, a Maverick with a astro turf rear deck with plastic flowers?
I like to fly the deleware also, I usually fly up to Wurtsboro then head over to Randall and back to Andover.Speaking of the mid huson ever been to old Rhinebeck aerodrome?

George, we'll keep an eye out for ya.
Vic
N2609V
48 Ragwing
A Lanber 2097 12 gauge O/U Sporting
A happy go lucky Ruger Red label 20 ga
12N Aeroflex
Andover NJ
http://www.sandhillaviation.com

" Air is free untill you have to move it" BB.
LouLaSalle

Post by LouLaSalle »

Vic,

I haven't been to Rhinebeck yet. Can We land there or do we have to behave like the common folk? While our 170's don't date back to WW 1, they are antiques.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that my B comes home this coming weekend. It's tough being without our Baby, especially with these 80 degree days. Their great, and my heater works really well in this weather.

Say hello to Nancy and Angela for me. As I said it's been a few years since I saw either.

Lou

ps
Will you be going to the EAA Antique Fly-In at Warwick on the 16th of May.
Lou La Salle
N2485D
LouLaSalle

Post by LouLaSalle »

George,

That would be great. It would be nice to meet the faces, that go along with the names.

As I mentioned to Vic, my 170b is due home from the Paint Shop, on the 24th. So, I can stop renting those nose draggers and get back to a real airplane.

Lou
Lou La Salle
N2485D
mrpibb

Post by mrpibb »

Hi Lou,
hoping to finish my endorsment so I can fly to the Warwick flyin. The way the weather has been it may be close, It's either raining or nice and windy at andover, and as my instructor puts it, my airplane dosn't have enough "snott" to get out of trouble ( thanks to my 76em53 ) for those northwest wind we get sometimes at andover. However I trying to borrow a 76em51 for tomorrows lesson ( if the weathers good ) to see if "Miss Snotty" climbs better. :wink:

As for Rhinebeck you need permission and as for the political turmoil that the organisation when through I doubt you will ever be allowed to. However there is a airport real close by that they would have a shuttle bus take to and from the aerodrome, it was either skyhook or kingston, don't quite remember. :?

If I run into Nancy I'll say Hi for you, But I may be awhile cause I work at the hanger now and rarely get to the terminal. :cry:
Vic
N2609V
48 Ragwing
12N Aeroflex
Andover NJ

Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

Lou and Vic

If I can get my engine reinstalled I'll have my plane at Warwick also. If not I'll most likely be there in a friends A model.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
mrpibb

Post by mrpibb »

Wouldn't be cool if all three models could be at Warwick. I hope I get my check out done by then.
Vic
N2609V
48 Ragwing
12N Aeroflex
Andover NJ

LouLaSalle

Post by LouLaSalle »

VIC,s That would be Great. I'm not sure if mine will make it home this weekend, but it will definitly will be back for Warwick.

Are you doing your checkout entirely in a 170? I did a few hours in a Cub, which was built before I was born(and I'm old). It's a lot harder to handle than the 170. Just be mindful of those rudders.

Lou
Lou La Salle
N2485D
mrpibb

Post by mrpibb »

Yea I am, I have scheduled a lot of lessons but the weather has been stubborn, Supposed to fly today again hoping the winds stay at bay or at least not blow from the west. I got my lic in a 172 last summer so basically im working on getting a tail wheel endorsement, what I have to do next is engine out and wheel landings and some more crosswind work before I finish. I have done three points, wheel take offs, bounce recovery, soft field, short field ( is there really such a thing in a 170? ) slips to landing and the such. I'm having a good time even though it's been slow going due to the weather, I'm picking up some neat tricks as I go along, remember Andover is primarily a tail wheel school. So when it happens it will.

Oh I borrowed a 51 pitch prop to try out, will post later as to my findings
Vic
N2609V
48 Ragwing
12N Aeroflex
Andover NJ

zero.one.victor

Post by zero.one.victor »

Vic: I think you'll be happier with the 51 pitch. I have a DM7651 & I think it's probably the best compromise for my kind of flying. I've flown a friend's A model with a 53 pitch (too much) and borrowed & ran another friend's 48 pitch prop ( not enough).
Bruce: Re: A models,the pic of 49A in your posts looks almost like it has dihedral-- is that an optical illusion,or what? I seem to recall someone on this board who said they had an A model with B wings & struts.......

Eric
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

The picture of my plane is unretouched and there is no optical illusion.

Yes Eric you are correct in that my plane does have dihedral and does have "B model type" wings installed on what is "officially" a '50 A model fuselage. At least the data plate is a '50 A model and therefor the rest of the plane must be a '50 A model. :wink:

Funny after I typed that post I wondered if anyone would pick up on that detail in the photo.

BTW the prop is spinning in the photo contrary to popular belief around my home airport the aircraft is not jet powered. 8O
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

And now, ...the REST of the story! :wink:
I heard the airplane was modified with B-wings in an attempt to validate Joe's "A-models are faster" theory. Apparently it worked. :lol:
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)