Puget Sound Area

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

LouLaSalle

Cyclinders and Engines

Post by LouLaSalle »

Why is it that only with airplanes is the owner left holding the bag?
Can you imagine GM say that they found a defect in there VorTec V6. Please bring it in and pay to have it repaired!!!

On another note! I see that you live/fly in the Puget Sound area. I have done a few flights out there in rented AC, while visiting my wife who was on a consulting assignment in Seattle for 18 months. I flew out out Boeing Field to Friday Harbor, low ceiling, but a nice flight.

I really like the area, and as I will be retiring in a few years, it is high on my list of places to live. Is the weather as bad as I hear? Do you get a decent amount of flying in? The area is stunning, about as different from NJ as you can get. Please let me know.
Thanks

Lou La Salle
Lou La Salle
N2485D
Elephant Path, Pa. (PS03)
zero.one.victor

Post by zero.one.victor »

It all depends. Some area,like Sequim in the banana belt,get about as much rain as Los Angeles. Others,like Forks out on the "wet end",get over 120" of rain in a year. Even the drier areas spend a good part of every winter grey & overcast. But there's still plenty of flyable weather. Quite often,though,it's impossible to get over the mountains to eastern Washington or down thru the Chehalis gap to Portland if you're a VFR pilot. That actually is true even during our summers!

Eric
LouLaSalle

Post by LouLaSalle »

Funny,

I have been out there 5 or 6 times, and it is always nice weather. It sure is tempting. I am IFR rated, but our B is not. So i must resign myself to VFR flying.

:Lou
Lou La Salle
N2485D
Dave Clark

Post by Dave Clark »

Lou

Don't let them kid you. Puget Sound is the finest place to spend the Summers but many people get suckered in by the Summers. Seven or eight other months is overcast, drizzle, or just constant light rain. I need the sun and blue sky.
Dave
N92CP ("Clark's Plane")
1953 C-180
LouLaSalle

Post by LouLaSalle »

Dave,

Lets hope that I can do something like that. I think that Washington State is just beautiful. But, Arizona may be too hot, and to high for me.

Lou
Lou La Salle
N2485D
mrpibb

Post by mrpibb »

Don't let them kid you. Puget Sound is the finest place to spend the Summers but many people get suckered in by the Summers. Seven or eight other months is overcast, drizzle, or just constant light rain. I need the sun and blue sky.
Sounds like Jersey lately, been trying to get my tailwheel endorsment for my 170 since Jan. :cry:
Vic
N2609V
48 Ragwing
A Lanber 2097 12 gauge O/U Sporting
A happy go lucky Ruger Red label 20 ga
12N Aeroflex
Andover NJ
http://www.sandhillaviation.com

" Air is free untill you have to move it" BB.
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Dang it, Vic! I just spent 4 days in Secaucus, NJ sitting in a hotel room over the weekend with nothing to do and could have been flying with you and signing you off. :?
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
Tom Downey

Post by Tom Downey »

Puget Sound it rains all the time.

We must have sunlight pumped to us.

I wish you would come back more often, those were the only nice days we have had in a year.

9 out of 10 people you meet are transported californians, that want all the trees cut so they can have a view. the tenth is a tree hugger.

The sun has been out 2 days in a row, and allready my gills are disappearing, the web between my toes are going away, and the 2 slugs that live on the side of my house got sunburned, what a mess.

Summer,,, I guess I'll just have to suffer thru both days of it.
Tom Downey A&P-IA
ohanley

Post by ohanley »

My son got his Private Pilots Certificate last year and flew year around.

While we do have a lot of overcast the ceiling are high enough for VFR flight, most of the time.

The Puget Sound is the only place I've lived where people start getting depressed and worried if they have 3 days of sunshine in a row. :lol: :lol:
ohanley
N5756C
LouLaSalle

Post by LouLaSalle »

George,

The next time you wind up in Secaucus, call me and I will take you through the Hudson River VFR corridor. A very memorable flight!

Lou La Salle
Lou La Salle
N2485D
mrpibb

Post by mrpibb »

George, I'm 5 mins from secaucus, And work in newark. could of given you a tour of Continental's mx facility. Mabee next time, what brought ya to NJ?
The next time you wind up in Secaucus, call me and I will take you through the Hudson River VFR corridor. A very memorable flight!
Lou, have you been down the corridor lately? whats up with all them hellicopters? it's tough to shake em when they get on your tail!! they seem to fixate on fixed wing aircraft for some reason, like you got a magnet or something. :wink:
Vic
N2609V
48 Ragwing
12N Aeroflex
Andover NJ

Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

Vic
I am a former pilot of one of those helicopters your talking about. I have over 1000 hours in the corridor dodging fixed wing that just seem to want to kill you.

I can say with some authority that they have you in their sites. They are deciding whether to go to guns or rockets before pulling that imaginary trigger. :D :D :D

Seriously, the helicopter pilots are very comfortable flying in close proximity to other aircraft in the close quarters of the corridor. It's their job. Most fixed wing pilots in the passing throught the corridor are not comfortable and sometimes act like a fish out of water. The majority of the helicopter traffic is for a tour around the lady. A very specific route is flown. You probably have just gotten in front of them and are going the same place. All of the helicopters are faster than a 170, even Joe's 170, so your not going to lose them.

Besides if you have to be there you are just where they want you. In front of them where they can keep an eye on you (darn fixed wing driver.:wink:)
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
mrpibb

Post by mrpibb »

I was just thinking back about 20 years ago when my buddy got his private, we both worked for the flight school at teteboro airport. The owners would give us each week 1/2 hour each in a 150 for the cost of fuel, being i didnt fly at the time we would pool it together for a hour flight. This was enough to go to the ground round at Caldwell airport at night, then after on the return trip back we would take a jaunt down the hudson river, around the the old gal and then back to the airport where the 150 would take 3 gallons for a one hour flight ( remember we were the line boys at the time so we controlled the fuel log :wink: ) Hardly any rotorcaft back then as compared to now.

When I get my endorsment I plan on taking my buddy as he took me on a trip down the Hudson although not at night, and then to caldwell to the 94th Bomber group because the Ground round is not there anymore ( missed the peanuts on the floor and the endless cartoons ).
Vic
N2609V
48 Ragwing
12N Aeroflex
Andover NJ

LouLaSalle

Teterboro

Post by LouLaSalle »

Vic,

Was that out out Teterboro Flight Academy by any chance? That was where I learned to Fly. Just a hop, skip and a jump to the River! Maybe you knew Billy Barhydt, he took me on my first ride on the River, at night.
Now even though Alexandria Field where my B is based is Sixty miles from the Hudson, I still take first time flyer there, it is something they will
talk about for years.

Lou La Salle

Soloed in 757EF in 83'
Lou La Salle
N2485D
mrpibb

Post by mrpibb »

Lou, That would be it!!
I work for the Habermans ( colorfull people ) as a line boy and then as my first a&p job when I got out of school. Who was your instructor? I probably knew him/her. You mentioned you flew Choppers, you didnt by chance fly out of waterfront airways with an A star or was it the bell 47? As for Bill he was a good friend of mine, we used to hang out a lot, he had a unique view of things. Hey mabey when I get this endorsment I'll hop on down from andover to pay you a visit, will talk about the heyday of TFA.
Vic
N2609V
48 Ragwing
12N Aeroflex
Andover NJ