Sun-n-Fun Fly-in

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

russfarris

Sun-n-Fun Fly-in

Post by russfarris »

It's that time of year again...did everyone finish paying Uncle Sam?

I'll be arriving at Lakeland on the 12th, weather permitting, and camping with N8143A ( the one with the DC-3 inflicted dent in the left wing!) and my son Matthew.

It's polished aluminum with red trim in the factory scheme. Stop by and visit, the beer's on the house! We'll be in the Antique/Classic/Vintage parking area. Hope to meet some more of you guys...Russ Farris

P.S. Rudy, are you coming again this year?
All glory is fleeting...
rudymantel

Post by rudymantel »

Russ, I'm planning to be there just for one day on Saturday the 17th.
Will you still be there ? I'll also park in the classics area. Would be good to see you.
Rudy
Curtis Brown

Post by Curtis Brown »

I should get there Thursday AM. I hope to get a spot in the vintage aircraft parking. Sometimes I tail into a saved spot with the 195's. N1256D is deep red on white and I will be with my 15 yr old son Elliott. All are invited to stop by and visit. However, we are a pretty crazy group with lots of beverages.
Curtis
N170BP

Post by N170BP »

I'm down here (St. Pete) right now, but we're not heading
out to Lakeland until Thursday & Friday.

I'll try and find y'all in the crowds.

Bela P. Havasreti
'54 C-170BP N170BP
dacker

Post by dacker »

I will be meeting up with a couple of old Navy buddies in Orlando and will be there Wednesday. I will look for the 170s, I would like to meet some more 170 Bubbas.
David
rudymantel

Post by rudymantel »

Flew old 4490B up to Sun 'n Fun yesterday (Saturday). Beautiful weather both ways. Landings at Lakeland were from the West after following the usual Lake Parker approach. As I was turning final (to land on Runway 09 L which was a taxiway) I was following a Stearman even slower than I. The controller was calling Keep flying!- land further to the end ! I was real slow with full flaps, trying not to run into the Stearman's rear. Anyway it resulted in the worst wheel landing of my life- very humbling ! Fuel in the Javelin tank and a rear seat pax didn't help.
Great air show ! The best of many excellent acts was a guy in a stock 220 Stearman who did unbelievable things with it. A true master.
It's not so difficult to put on a good show in an overpowered aerobatic airplane, but in a simple trainer like a stock Stearman or a Citabria it takes real skill !
It was a really nice day, flight to and from Lakeland, in beautiful sunny 80 degree weather ! THESE are the good old days !
Rudy
N170BP

Post by N170BP »

Guess I should fess up....

I've been bed-ridden in my sister's condo in St. Pete
since last Wednesday. With.... Chickenpox for crying
out loud! I know exactly who/where I caught it (a good
friend's daughter had it last week) but I thought I had
already had this miserable condition as a kid. Wrong.....

What a fantastic way to torture a human being (Chickenpox).
If you ever need information from someone, infect them
with Chickenpox and keep the calimine lotion and benedryl
just out of reach. You'll get the information you seek.

Anyway, sorry I missed everyone. I've been quarantined with
beautiful weather outside (what a pain....).

Did anyone see the T-6 ground-loop? I know the
winds were howling out of the north earlier in the
week....

Bela P. Havasreti
'54 C-170B N170BP
dacker

Post by dacker »

I made it Wednesday, this was my first time. Had a good time, but I didn't get a chance to look for any 170s.
My high point was seeing the Bush Hawk on amphibs. It may sound geeky but I carry a picture of one in my brief case. Ah, someday!
Bela, my Brother in law in Eugene caught chickenpox a couple of years ago, same deal, he was miserable. I caught mono when I was 39, didn't know what I had until I was over it, thought I was just getting prematurely run down from job stress at the time. Like you I thought we were supposed to catch these things when we were kids and could bounce right back.
Hope you feel better.
David
russfarris

Post by russfarris »

Got back from Sun-N-Fun Friday, what a trip...

I left earlier than planned, on Easter Sunday, in order to beat some really nasty weather heading to the Southeast. First stop Wilmington, NC to pick-up Matthew, my 15 year old son from Grandma's house.

It was good VFR down the Atlantic Coast, until around Savannah, when I saw some low lying stratus/sea fog moving in under us. I was already getting VFR flight following from JAX Center, so it was a simple matter to request an IFR clearance to St. Simons Island/Brunswick GA. The only approach I could legally do was the VOR to Runway 4 - there's no ILS (gasp!) and my Apollo GX-55 isn't approach certified and I don't have an ADF. Now, the last 10 years of my day job has been in airplanes like the Boeing 757/767 and now the Airbus A-320, where pretty much the procedure is to punch a few numbers into the FMC and let one of the autopilots (the 757/767 has three!) drive you on in.

SSI was reporting 700 overcast and two miles on the AWOS, well above the minimums of 500/ 1 mile. At least at the 170s speed, I had lots of time to review things like the four T's - Time, Turn, Tune, Throttle...or was it five? It was a little ragged, but safe, and the moving map GPS is a huge help for situational awareness. I don't think I have done a VOR approach in a light airplane in 20 years, at least.

After having to do the procedure turn nonsense and all that, we were behind a already tight schedule to beat the 1930 curfew on the Sun-n-Fun side of Lakeland Airport, so we overnighted at SSI. Just as well, as a line of really nasty weather hit LAL about the time we would have arrived anyway.

Arriving at Lakeland about noon, it was non-stop action as the controller didn't stop talking long enought to take a breath - she was great, calling everyone honey and sweetie ("silver and red Cessna taildragger, turn your base now sweetie, that's great, keep it coming, the wind is 180 at 15, gusting to 20...) Yikes!!! I knew it was windy, but that was right at my limits (and I think the airplanes as well) Flaps 20, drive it on for a wheel landing...I was really paying attention. Some of my worst landings in airplanes big and small, have been on dead calm mornings when I guess I was a little too relaxed. For those of you that have never been, you land on the 75 foot wide east/west taxiway during Sun-n-Fun. We are here!!!

The wind was howling as we set up camp, and I noticed the Vintage/Classic parking area was the emptiest I had ever seen it, no doubt due to the weather.

At about 530 AM the next morning, the wind woke me up; actually it was the wall of the tent in my face that did it. It was REALLY blowing out there! Suddenly, the tent blew down on us. We crawled out from under the wreckage, and I made the decision to get into the airplane, which was really rocking and rolling by this point. Both of us put on our seat belts in case we blew over, and I took the control wheel and postioned it to provide maximum force to keep us in place (I hoped) It was a left rear quartering tailwind, so I held full right aileron and full down elevator. In the dim pre-dawn light I saw other tents down, and people in their aircraft
just like we were. I found out later that the FAA recorded gusts up to 60 MPH. I should be getting combat pay for this!

After surving the morning, I bought a tiedown kit from a vendor called "The Claw", a clever articulated tie down rated at 1,800 pounds. They sold quite a few after that morning...

I met some really nice 170 people from all over the country, and in general it was a great event. We stayed another day, because Thursday was the first really nice day we had. I even got a few leads on 180s for sale I'm checking into.

Well, this is starting to look like one of George Horn's missives :lol: ...I just wanted to share our little adventure. See you next year! Russ Farris
All glory is fleeting...
rudymantel

Post by rudymantel »

Someone told me there was a fatal landing accident at Sun 'n Fun this morning (Sunday)- Has anyone heard what happened ?
Rudy
rudymantel

Post by rudymantel »

Just checked local news- they said Glasair flipped on landing but no injuries- also powered parachute partially collapsed and fell 50 ft- pilot injured.
Rudy
theduckhunter

Post by theduckhunter »

FUNnnnnnnSUNnnnnnnnnnFUN

What a trip! My dad and I flew his Bonanza down this year for the 3rd year and the weather couldn't have been better. Russ, we arrived thursday evening but we heard about the cold and wind that you and many others experienced. Held at Lake parker for 1.5 hours Thurs evening because the show went late because the t-6 that swiped a leg. Touched down as the controller said the south side was closed so it was up to Piedmont for the night and dinner at the restaurant up top. Virginia to Florida in an afternoon, the world is a smaller place in a bonanza.

I tried to convince all that my fathers 1977 A-36 was IN REALITY a 1966 so we could park in Vintage camping but to the south side we went to GAC. Stayed at the show Friday and Saturday and flew back this morning to CJR in Virginia. Made the always stop at BHC both ways, Baxley Georgia for the petrol that is 1.99 and free hamburgers.

Friday night after the night airshow we were walking around on 5-23 near the warbirds and there were some folks who were having a little party in, around, and on an Albatross. It was fully dark but you could see somewhat with the surounding lights. One guy said to another, "I bet you can't do a handstand on top of the albatross." (for those that don't know the top of the wing of an albatross is really high! maybe 16 feet high) To the top of a wing they went and in the night, ON TOP of the albatross one guy did a rather impressive handstant for a good 7 seconds. A rather impressive feat that high in the dark with serious harm or death a fingers slip away. His friend, undaunted then said I dare you to do it with your pants off 8O Perhaps alcohol was a factor :?:

After many pleasurable strolls through the vintage aircraft camping, mostly looking at 170s and 180s I found several 170s for sale, and like you Russ only got leads on 180s which is what I really seek. Did anyone else see the green and white 51 170 for sale? Priced a litte high but it looked nice.

Met many nice folks with nice 170s. For those that might remember me, I'm a 26 year old guy who used to have a 55 model and probably really liked your 170, whatever it looked like because, well, it's a 170.

I'll close with a quote from a very tall and old volunteer who worked the entrance to the general aviation camping area. I'll also preface this quote with the fact that I believe and know a Christ centered life is what the One God wills for all of us, you and me.
:arrow: The quote-----------"Do you know Jesus? You know when I was younger and in sunday school people used to tell me that I'VE GOT TO STAND UP FOR JESUS! When I was in high school I got real tall and at the highschool basketball game all the people behind me would tell me FOR CHRIST SAKE SIT DOWN!"

See you next year FUNnSUN
Robbie Yeaman
Virginia
2993D, now 2980C a C-180
russfarris

Post by russfarris »

Hey Robbie, didn't I see the 170 you used to own that was Don Simpson's old airplane in the Vintage camping area? Russ Farris P.S. I'm not sure, but I think it's number was 93Delta...
All glory is fleeting...
doug8082a

Post by doug8082a »

AVWeb has a couple pics of the T-6 aftermath posted on one their SnF galleries:

http://www.avweb.com/news/snf2004/187125-1.html

You'll probably only see the thumbnails of them for now as they haven't posted all of their full size pics yet.
Doug
theduckhunter

Post by theduckhunter »

That's a heck of a memory Russ! I think his name was actually Don Hill, but close. If 93D was there I missed it but I would have loved to see it. I don't think I saw your 170 there Friday but I didn't walk the vintage line for the first time until the afternoon. We'll meet in person hopefully one day soon
Robbie Yeaman
Virginia
2993D, now 2980C a C-180