Finally Finally Finally

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

3958v

Finally Finally Finally

Post by 3958v »

Today was the big day for N3958V my rag wing 170 and all went well. I just finished recovering my wings and polishing the fusealage. I used ceconite and dope with large numbers on the wings. I used the nuvite polish and painted the red trim on the fusalage using the old shadows to reproduce the original layout on the trim. While doing this work I also took the time to replace the windshield, windows and other items like a new tail spring. The engine was rebuilt with new cylinders 4 years ago so I feel like I have as close to new 170 as you can get. Sorry if i am sounding like I am blowing my own horn here but it sure feels good to fly again!!!! Thanks to all of you who have helped me with my questions over the past 2.5 years. This site has been a great source of information for me helping me many times by answering questions I never even had to ask. So thanks again to all who helped make this a really great day. Bill Kelsall
Polished 48 170 Cat 22 JD 620 & Pug
doug8082a

Post by doug8082a »

Congratulations Bill! Hope to see you around the Northeast neighborhood! :D
Doug
zero.one.victor

Post by zero.one.victor »

Good show,Bill! Here's wishing you many happy hours flying the heck outa that "new" 170--and hooray for ragwings!

Eric
Curtis Brown

Post by Curtis Brown »

I am feeling the same joy!!!
I have just returned from the paint shop with a beautiful deep red on white scheme. That was the last of the big items on the list. Over the last two years my 1950 A model has received a newly overhauled engine, newly painted panel with overhauled instruments. White painted firewall and engine mount, Inside the cabin was cleaned up and zinc chromated with new insulation, new headliner and interior. Lots of airframe work, new rudder, flaps, tires, fuel selector and a new windshield. And lots of other little things I just had to do. I hope I can just fly it for a long while now. The ole girl has gone through quite a face lift.
N1256D
Curtis
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Yaaayyy! Bill!!
How 'bout emailing or posting a picture?
I hope you plan to win the best 170 trophy at Tehachipi, Ca this year!
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
3958v

Post by 3958v »

I am going to get some pictures to post as soon as possible. It was a nice night here tonight so I flew for about an hour. Other than the transponder everything worked perfectly. It flies hands off. Unfortunautly I will not make it to this years convention After all the time spent on the plane in the last years I better take the wife and kids some where that way I have a better chance of having wife kids and plane this time next year. Would be a shame only to have kids! But I do hope to make Detroit next year. Bill K.
Polished 48 170 Cat 22 JD 620 & Pug