VOTE! Should Politics be discussed in this forum?

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

In light of recent discussions, should politics be allowed in this forum?

Poll ended at Wed Apr 14, 2004 3:12 pm

Only if it has relevance to aviation.
43%
Yes
14%
No.
43%

Total votes: 28

doakes

Should politics be discussed on thei forum

Post by doakes »

My thoughts are to not stop any discussion of any type by the moderator.

Each of us has the power to stop unwanted posts. SIMPLY DO NOT REPLY. It's that simple.

If one does reply then he can carry on the conversation, and those that do not want in on the subject --don't.

Dave
zero.one.victor

Re: Should politics be discussed on thei forum

Post by zero.one.victor »

doakes wrote:My thoughts are to not stop any discussion of any type by the moderator.

Each of us has the power to stop unwanted posts. SIMPLY DO NOT REPLY. It's that simple.

If one does reply then he can carry on the conversation, and those that do not want in on the subject --don't.

Dave
I'm with Dave on this. A comment was made earlier about "censorship"--I feel that if we agree to not discuss polititcs,religionn,or whatever,that is not censorship--it is discretion. If the moderator,or whoever,deletes our posts--THAT is censorship.
If we DO agree to discuss politics,etc,well then let's let it all hang out--just like in real life. No deleting of posts,that's shades of "big brother" as far as I'm concerned. In fact,I'm against deleting of posts on any topic line. If a person wants to shoot off his mouth (like I've done)--then let him,don't delete him (like has been done to me!). If everyone else thinks he's an ***hole,then so be it.
But I advise against politics--it's just a flame-a-rama waiting to ignite!
8O :twisted: :cry:

Eric
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

My original feelings on the entire subject of political dicussions here were that unless the discussion was about issues that directly affected aviation, then it shouldn't be allowed. However, as moderator I felt unfairly criticised by some when I deleted angry/four-letter messages, or any posts that were derogatory towards other members, so I allowed a short experiment to run itself to utter destruction. If the same editorial rules (regarding profanity and respect to of one another) were applied to political discussions as to other topics then so much would be deleted the thread would be so disconnected and illegible as to be worse than if left alone (and I would again have been accused of censorship.)
Now that some have seemingly either lost their cool, or tired of the discussion (or perhaps/haven't we all?) there comes the cry to "delete the whole" thing, or delete sections of it. On another thread a member deleted his own prior to direct responses and the topic was so dis-connected that it made no further sense to leave it. (Good action, in my opinion.)
There's no rule that says you have to participate in each and every thread.
To all: It's pretty sad when we can't discuss important issues with one another without resorting to personal attacks of hatred. A moderator's job can be a tight-rope act, ... to remain at arm's length with regard to all threads/msgs and still retain/excersize his personal freedom of speech privileges as an ordinary member. I invite Private Message (PM's) input from anyone who feels the moderator is allowing threads to get off-track.
I apologize if my personal, secular, political viewpoint has offended anyone. I'm sure we're all more alike than we are different. I hope as a nation we can find ourselves in cooperation and develop a willingness to compromise with each other, as did our founding fathers in their own just-as-emotional and important conflicts of nation-building. As for this website, perhaps we should strive to contain our non-170 related discussions to other forums.
It seems that political discussion on this website is fraught with danger and produces results contrary to the purposes of the Association. The Poll supports that policy. With that as the guide as moderator, and for the happier future of the forums, messages that lean too far toward the non-aviation related political musn't be posted. (Since killing responses to this discussion has to occur at some point, I'd better not get a load of hypocritical criticism for denying responses.) :roll:
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)