VOTE! Should Politics be discussed in this forum?

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

In light of recent discussions, should politics be allowed in this forum?

Poll ended at Wed Apr 14, 2004 3:12 pm

Only if it has relevance to aviation.
43%
Yes
14%
No.
43%

Total votes: 28

GAHorn

VOTE! Should Politics be discussed in this forum?

Post by GAHorn »

In light of recent discussions, should politics be allowed in this forum?
If kept civil, avoiding personal attacks, and no foul language,....should nat'l and world politics be allowed here in a forum normally reserved about Cessna 170's? (ten day poll)
jcraver

Post by jcraver »

I think that politics and off topic discussions really detract from the site. Personally, I could care less about the political or religious beliefs of some guy or gal that owns a 170 that I have never met. Now if they can help me trouble shoot my mags we have something in common. If it ends up on here, at the least it should be in it's own off topic forum.
zero.one.victor

Re: VOTE! Should Politics be discussed in this forum?

Post by zero.one.victor »

gahorn wrote:In light of recent discussions, should politics be allowed in this forum?
If kept civil, avoiding personal attacks, and no foul language,....should nat'l and world politics be allowed here in a forum normally reserved about Cessna 170's? (ten day poll)
I'm sure none of us mean to act in an un-civil manner or commit a personal attack...........but look at all the hooplah recently. I vote for NO POLITICS.
Griping about high gas taxes,etc is fine,but then of course we have to point a finger at the (the?) offending political figure (or party) who is the SOLE CAUSE of ALL THE PROBLEMS! Now we've just offended the next person,who is a big fan of that political figure or party. And the fireworks begin! :evil:
So let's leave politics out of it,and keep it about 170's. Please.

Eric
JJH55

Post by JJH55 »

The reason I belong to this organization is to gain first hand information about 170's and how to keep the airplane and me safe. If we didnt have the forum, would we be printing political information in the flypaper or 170 news? I dont think so. Personally, I don't want to sift through the brillance and wisdom, handed out by "political experts" that happen to have an interest in 170's to get to the real "meat" of this sites information . I vote no, but if the poll shows to accept the political venue, I'd request another topic area be added to the site to keep it separated from the real 170 topics.
JJH55
doug8082a

Post by doug8082a »

Ditto, ditto, and ditto....
Doug
TP

Post by TP »

nothing like a little political disscusion to get people's tails up on there back's. Isn't it great to live in a country where we can express our beliefs openly with no fear of repercussions other than having our feelings stepped on, instead of our heads. I for one like the way the forums go, they start out going in one derection take a twist an end in another direction. You never quite know where you will end up, the journey is half the fun. Do we really want to end that and become a stearal techno site. Let the mud fly it will come off when heads cool off. If someone gets there blood up an shows there hinde parts so be it . We should be able to recognize there actions for what they are. ( I know Ive been there.) Are politics such a problem that we want to committ sensorship. I for one don't much care for that thought , the word leaves a foul taste in my mouth. TP
I must be okay cause, I haven't gotten a letter from the FAA.
rudymantel

Post by rudymantel »

I'm against political discussions on this forum. However, subjects such as defending GA from unfair fees, fuel taxes, FAA proposed regs and similar aviation-related subjects seem appropriate.
Rudy
zero.one.victor

Post by zero.one.victor »

I feel that agreeing to leave politics out of our discussions would be exercising discretion,not censorship. Censorship would be if our comments were deleted by "big brother" (which has not been happening).

Eric
mit

Post by mit »

Nothing wrong with talking politics once in awhile.
Tim
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

I'm with TP and MIT. I would also like the posts labeled as Jh55 suggested so I can choose not to read them it I want. I will however probably read them.

I don't feel the few political posts that may start will detract from the site. If at some time they do we can make changes to correct the situation.

No I didn't join this site for political discussion. As long as it remains as very small part of the site as I believe it will, I consider it a bonus.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
rudymantel

Post by rudymantel »

As Joe said in another thread, we all have the interest of the 170 at heart.
This has always (well, almost always) been a nice friendly congenial group of guys with similar interests and goals. Divergent political opinions can poison this congeniality. There's enough bitterness and partisanship in the morning newspaper and on TV - let's keep this forum as it was meant to be, on enjoying flying and our lovely 170's.
Rudy
mit

Post by mit »

rudymantel wrote:As Joe said in another thread, we all have the interest of the 170 at heart.
This has always (well, almost always) been a nice friendly congenial group of guys with similar interests and goals. Divergent political opinions can poison this congeniality. There's enough bitterness and partisanship in the morning newspaper and on TV - let's keep this forum as it was meant to be, on enjoying flying and our lovely 170's.
Rudy
Or maybe for that reason we could have respectful discussion about different view points, and still remain friends?
Tim
rudymantel

Post by rudymantel »

Tim, we probably could, but this forum is not the place for political discourse, IMHO-
Rudy
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

Rudy, I side with Tim as I said in a previous post but I certianly respect and understand your opinion. I have enjoyed meeting the other members of the TIC170A and those members here as well as none members. We have a common interest in the 170 but what really makes us interesting is our other view points. I don't mind occasionally hearing how like minded people especially from other parts of the country think on other subjects. Like I said a bonus.

Remember.

Some folks like 6:00x6 tires some like 8:00s. Extremists install wheelpants or 8:50s. Some are middle of the road running 7:00s.
I've yet to figure were those float guys fall. :D :D :D

We seem to deal with this all the time. Whats the difference.

BTW I even find this poll most interesting.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
rudymantel

Post by rudymantel »

Tim, Bruce, I respect your opinions as well. And we can remain friends despite political differences. I just think this isn't the forum to debate politics or religion (sex of course is OK).
But if you all want to discuss politics go right ahead.
Rudy