tailwheel rigging

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

4-Shipp

Post by 4-Shipp »

cessna170bdriver wrote:
I haven't flown in 6 or 7 weeks, so I don't know what 100LL has gone to out here; I'm afraid to look! At 3.12 the fuel for a 170 hits $25/hour. :cry:

Miles
When I was in Canada my boss was a RAF exchange officer who purchased a 32' cabine cruiser for The Lake of the Woods about the same time we aquired N49CP. He was constantly lamenting the high cost of boating expenses.

I would have to remind him almost daily, "Frank, we do not do these things because they are cheap!"

Bruce
Bruce Shipp
former owners of N49CP, '53 C170B
johneeb

Post by johneeb »

Blue Leader,

Lets see and engine conversion in your 170 and another in your Pickup Truck, what kind of engine do you have in your Blender? :lol:

Johneb
John E. Barrett
aka. Johneb

Sent from my "Cray Super Computer"
zero.one.victor

Post by zero.one.victor »

Cargas & 100LL prices around western washington (my part of it anyway) are about the same as Doug & Bruce's areas.

Eric
cessna170bdriver

Post by cessna170bdriver »

4-Shipp wrote:When I was in Canada my boss was a RAF exchange officer who purchased a 32' cabine cruiser for The Lake of the Woods about the same time we aquired N49CP. He was constantly lamenting the high cost of boating expenses.

I would have to remind him almost daily, "Frank, we do not do these things because they are cheap!"

Bruce
Amen, Bruce. I guess I'm not lamenting the high cost as much as the rate of increase. When anyone questions how I justify the expense of this hobby, I just tell them that, as expensive as it is, it's still cheaper than therapy. :wink: My ex used to send me to the airport when I got cranky and tell me not to come home until I was in a better mood. Worked every time :!: (Karen goes with me :) )

Miles
Miles

“I envy no man that knows more than myself, but pity them that know less.”
— Thomas Browne
simatos

Post by simatos »

Regarding the tailwheel adjustments, what do you advise foor the tension on the chains? My scott instructions indicate just a little bit of slack in the chains tho I wonder if the chains were one link shorter would the wheel steer better?? I would appreciate any advise on this issue Thanks Gary
zero.one.victor

Post by zero.one.victor »

I'd say to adjust them so there is no slack but so they aren't tight either. Check the spring/chain tension both with the tail on the ground and with it jacked up off the ground , with the jack under the tailspring bracket. On mine, they're tighter with the wheel off the ground. Either way, you don't want them so tight as to cause wear on the parts (like the rudder bellcrank, etc).

Eric
simatos

Post by simatos »

Eric thanks, I found the chains real tight with wheel off the ground and just a little slack on the ground. Flew it this morning for the FIRST time ever and behaved real nice thanks G