Aircraft Transition

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

n3410c

Aircraft Transition

Post by n3410c »

Hey guys I was wondering if some individuals could provide some input on transitioning from a 170 to a 185. I have the oppurtunity to fly one and I'm curious what to expect with all those additional ponies up front during take-off and the additional weight when landing. Same goes for an RV-8, however with fewer additional ponies up front and comparable weight.
N170BP

Re: Aircraft Transition

Post by N170BP »

n3410c wrote:Hey guys I was wondering if some individuals could provide some input on transitioning from a 170 to a 185. I have the oppurtunity to fly one and I'm curious what to expect with all those additional ponies up front during take-off and the additional weight when landing. Same goes for an RV-8, however with fewer additional ponies up front and comparable weight.
Can't help with the RVs, but in the 185, feed the power in
gradually on take-off (especially the later 300hp models).
If you "cob it" from a stand-still, there may not be enough
rudder/brake to keep it going straight.

The controls will feel like an old truck with no power steering
(compared to the 170).

Some folks say the 180s & 185s "don't like to 3-point" during
landing but I disagree. I suppose wheeling them on is
easier.... There needs to be a little power held on during
the flare (either to 3-point or wheelies) to keep some air
blowing over the tail (no more close the throttle and
flare, flare, flare.... searching for the runway like in
the 170!).

Bela P. Havasreti
'54 C-170B N170BP
zero.one.victor

Post by zero.one.victor »

From what people tell me,the 180/185 can be hard to 3-point if the CG is not aft-loaded & you use more than 20' of flaps.

Eric
Harold Holiman

180/185 vs 170

Post by Harold Holiman »

Talk to Lenoard Sowell for fresh information. He is a 170 club member and you can get his number from the club directory. He just purchased a 180 that we delivered to him (met half way to FL). He has both a 170 and a 170A and had never flown a 180. The different sight picture over the nose, the additional power and speed, and the faster sink rate and heavier controls were the main things he had to get used to. (I call my 180 an overgrown 170 with a funny tail). Also the trim MUST be all the way back to do a 3 point/stall landing or the 180 won't stall. He had never flown a 180 but after a number of takeoffs and landings with me he felt confortable enough with the 180 to fly it home. It was a windy day when I was checking him out. This was three weeks ago. I talked to him after he got home and he said it was calm when he got home and did a perfect landing. I have not talked to him since then. He has had enough time now that he should be able to give you a good opinion on the differences. I would give my opinions but it has been many years since I have flown a 170.

Harold H
Mbr# 893
rudymantel

Post by rudymantel »

You'll find the 185 an easy plane to fly after flying the 170. As Bela says, just keep the tail on the ground and feed in the power a little slower than you do on a 170. Lock the tailwheel for takeoff and till after landing.
It's heavier on the controls but a nice airplane to fly. Either three point it or wheel it on. I like wheelies on 170's, 180's and 185's. You'll like it !
Rudy
zero.one.victor

Probably the toughest aspect will be transitioning to the higher costs of flying the skywagon. Just like in a 3-point landing, after the wallet's open just keep pulling! :P

Eric
n3410c

Post by n3410c »

When it comes to flying costs I'm still out there finding places in the 2.50/gal. range for avgas. I'm starting to wonder what is going to happen with autogas however. Seems to be creeping quickly past the 2.00/gal. range,
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

(Last time the oil companies tried this 5 years ago, at least Slick Willie threatened to open up the Naval reserves which forced our local pump prices from $1.35 back down to .79 cents.)
Rumor has it they want to see U.S. gasoline prices nearer European prices, planning about $3/gal.
With an administration in favor of energy policies developed in secret meetings with un-named oil company execs, and a national security advisor with an oil tanker named after her, what can we expect?
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
Harold Holiman

Post by Harold Holiman »

George,

If fuel prices continue to climb at the present rate, it may cause some of us a long distance from Tehachapi to reconsider flying on the big bird to California rather than flying our own planes. It is getting close to $3.00 here at 9A5 and it is already way over $3.00 in CHA.

Harold
dacker

Post by dacker »

I almost feel hypocritical writing this, but as I drive around town I see an awful lot of huge gas guzzling behemoths being driven with only one occupant, I'm talking 250+ horsepower 10 mpg SUVs, trucks, etc. There is certainly a place and purpose for large work trucks but I see college students and moms hauling around town in these things, and Detroit just keeps making them bigger. Perhaps it is going to take $3.00 / gallon to make us take notice.
I feel hypocritical because I just got back from vacation in my 10 mpg RV. :oops:
David
DensityDog

Post by DensityDog »

n3410C,
The reduced forward visibility on the ground is what I noticed the most when transitioning from the 170 to the 180. I think it's mostly due to the fact that the visibility is really great in the 170, especially for taildraggers in general. You will use your peripheral vision more for cues during the takeoff and landing roll.
Nice three-pointers can be made in the 180, you do need most and probably all the nose-up trim, especially if you have no one in the back seat. The 185 is probably even more trim sensitive, I don't know I haven't flown one of those....yet!
Max
zero.one.victor

Word of wisdom from the Dog--he's transitioned from 170 to 180 & back again several times! But we've probably lost him forever to the big iron,though. :cry:
Oh well,our club's loss is The Club's gain! :P

Eric
DensityDog

Post by DensityDog »

Word to your mother...I'm in THE CLUB!

But the 170 club is so much better! :lol: