The 170 News / insurance

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

zero.one.victor

The 170 News / insurance

Post by zero.one.victor »

Just got my Q1/04 170 News in the mail. Wow! The full-page color photo cover looks great!
I sadly read about the demise of Keith Stewart's ragwing 170--as he put it,it went down in a watery grave near Vancouver BC last November. Sure am sorry to hear about that. Strangely enough,even though I live only about 75 miles from Vancouver and regularly watch a couple different Canadian TV channels,I never heard a thing about this until now.
I see that Travers & Associates has a big ad in The 170 News. They're the outfit who took over AIG's accounts after AIG had their difficulties. I was insured with AIG. I'm now in the process of getting renewal quotes,so far Travers is looking good. Full coverage,standard limits,$35K hull value,and 1100 hours 170 time,their quote is $892. For comparable coverage,I got the following quotes: Avemco $1099,AOPA $1062,AUA $950 plus the cost of EAA/Vintage membership (about $50). The only bummer is that an off-airport exclusion applies to the Travers quote. The AUA quote specifically does not exclude off-airport landings.

Eric
Dave Clark

Post by Dave Clark »

The off airport exclusion doesn't apply if it's an emergency or precautionary landing right? So where do you go Eric that's off airport? Copalis is an airport right? My insurance is coming up in a couple of months. I've got to do the search on George's method of shopping insurance and give it a try. I remember it was pretty neat.
Dave
N92CP ("Clark's Plane")
1953 C-180
zero.one.victor

Copalis Beach is a state airport. I asked Travers exactly what made an airport an airport,for the purpose of the "off-airport exclusion". It basically came down to whether or not it is an FAA-recognized,charted airstrip. There's a couple airstrips close to home that I fly into once in a while that are not charted. One used to be,the other never has. Evidently I am not covered going into those.
There is another close-by strip-- 1300',trees & rising terrain at one end,so it's one way in & the other way out. The prevailing wind usually requires that you land with a tailwind. There have been several airplane wrecks there over the years. I don't know who owns it so I don't plan on taking the 170 in there. But,at least I'd be covered if I do--it's charted!
I guess if I have a mishap at one of the uncharted strips (God forbid), it'll have to be a forced landing due to carb ice! :wink:

Eric
Dave Clark

Post by Dave Clark »

"I guess if I have a mishap at one of the uncharted strips (God forbid), it'll have to be a forced landing due to carb ice! "

Yes Indeed! You get my point.
Dave
N92CP ("Clark's Plane")
1953 C-180
Curtis Brown

Post by Curtis Brown »

My insurance came due March 15. I called Travers and I got the same quotes as Eric...asked about off airport use and you are not covered with Travers. So I ask them to quote companies that would cover that. I did opp to change to the company that covers off airport use. As I recall it was less than $150 more and I paid it.
Curtis
zero.one.victor

If I decide that thew off-airport exclusion is a big enough deal I'll go with AUA. That'd be about $105 more a year by the time I pay the EAA/VAA membership fee. Since I kinda been thinking about joining anyway,it's actually only $58 more for the AUA insurance.
AUA specifically spells out that they do NOT exclude off-airport op's, or hand-propping.
Gotta think on this one a little bit.

Eric
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Hey Eric, and others! If you join EAA, you have the option of receiving Vintage Magazine in lieu of Sport Aviation, and you can get back issues including the articles about Russ Farris's airplane.
I belong to both EAA and VAA (which is a sub) and get both mags. because I like the Sport Aviation expertise on building/repairing.

(The cost of volunteerism, to keep up to date: EAA, VAA, AOPA, CPA, COO, TDATA, etc.etc.) :wink:
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
zero.one.victor

I was planning on just renewing with Travers,and living with the off-airport exclusion. Lowest price,plus they support the 170 Assn with a big ad in The 170 News.
But since I been thinking of joining EAA/VAA anyway,now I'm kinda leaning toward AUA-- only $58 more to include off-airport coverage. Plus,their letter sez benefits include "claim free discount of 5% per year with a maximum of 25%". So the second year (assuming no claims,knock on wood) would be almost down to the Travers price,the next year less. In other words,two years without any claims would just about be the break-even point,any discount after that would be pure profit!

Eric
zero.one.victor

I just emailed Travers,asking for a quote for a policy without the off-airport exclusion. I also thanked them for supporting the Assn by advertising in The 170 News,& asked them if there was an Assn disount. We'll see what happens.
I might contact AUA & ask about an Assn discount. The policy they quoted is thru their VAA program,but maybe they'll add an Assn discount too. :roll: Maybe it'll rain beer today,too. It could happen!

Eric
Curtis Brown

Post by Curtis Brown »

Travers just changed me from Phoenix @ $892 a year to AIG to get the policy without the off-airport exclusion. $35k hull, stantard limits, 1000 hrs 170, for $1050. As I recall that is with an AOPA discount but no others.
170C

170 Insurance

Post by 170C »

Eric, when checking back with Travers or others, you might ask them if any of their markets (have them ask, not just guess) will quote you a better deal on the "off airport" coverage by using a higher deductible. I know in my business, Inland Marine underwriting, we are often willing to lower rates in exchange for higher deductibles. You have to make the call whether you want lower ded's or higher premiums, etc. Aviation insurance is like Inland Marine insurance, the rates, deductibles and conditions are generally somewhat based on general guidelines plus judgement and don't have to adhere to any state mandated rates, etc.

Also Eric, have you heard anything yet about the missing 170 up in your area? I haven't seen anything in about a week.
OLE POKEY
170C
Director:
2012-2018
DensityDog

Post by DensityDog »

It's not Eric here, but the latest on the missing 170 is that it appears to have gone down in the water not far from where they took off. They are trying to get the Navy involved with their underwater radar. Here is a local news story:

http://www.komotv.com/news/story_m.asp?ID=30180

Max :cry:
N170BP

Post by N170BP »

My "mole" says the SAR guys have been having
difficulty getting the Navy to play ball. Word has
it one of the relatives has or will be hiring their
own side-scanning sonar equipped boat shortly.

A sample has been taken of the oil slick and it is
under evaluation as we "speak".

Details be damned, may the big guy upstairs bless
the unfortunate souls involved in the accident....

Bela P. Havasreti
'54 C-170B N170BP
zero.one.victor

Curtis, I got the same original $892 quote from Travers so I'll probably get the same ammended quote too.
I heard the same thing as Bela sez on the local TV news. It sounded like maybe the son & daughter of Dave's passenger might be trying to generate some donations to help with the cost of the search for /recovery of the bodies. I'll try to check into that--if that's the case,maybe some of us might want to help out? Maybe even suggest an Association donation to the Assn directors?

Eric
4-Shipp

Post by 4-Shipp »

Interesting on how things change in the insurance game. I insured Through Travers last August ( Pheonix was the underwriter) and had a different deffinition of airport. It didn't have to be FAA registered but had to be "inteneded for aircraft use". Non-registered private strips are covered.

Bruce
Bruce Shipp
former owners of N49CP, '53 C170B