48 170 fuel pump costs

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

mike.bernath

48 170 fuel pump costs

Post by mike.bernath »

I have a 48 ragwing 170 with a corroded fuel pump. the replacement cost is excessive. Does anyone have any answers or advice It's just an old AC Delco pump. thanks mike
GAHorn

Re: 48 170 fuel pump costs

Post by GAHorn »

If it is only externally corroded but otherwise serviceable... clean it up with a brass brush and aerosol cleaner.

If it is not working but the case is good....You might take it to your automotive rebuilder and inspect it for quality control yourself.

A marine overhaul kit for a virtually identical pump is $82.

It typically consists of these parts:
Attachments
8C0735AC-DADE-4C0F-A894-5DA06D9B6495.jpeg
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
mike.bernath

Post by mike.bernath »

thanks for the info. my pump internally is so corroded that an exacto knife went right thru the aluminum middle housing so I need to find the "marine " pump I guess and see what I think. part 91 lets me spec the parts to qualify for install I believe. thanks again
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

I believe you are misunderstanding my suggestion. If your pump housing is crumbling as you describe you have no “core” so will have to buy a pump outright. I suggest in that case you visit the salvage yards and find a serviceable pump or at least a “core” you can rebuild using a rebuild kit.
I would not hesitate to use a marine rebuild kit if it meets my “owner produced parts” requirements. YMMV
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

I’m no IA, but that doesn’t seem to qualify as “owner-produced parts” according to any of the descriptions I’ve read. I don’t think it means “the owner came into my office, opened a box, and produced the parts!” :lol:

I wouldn’t ask my IA to sign off on that.
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

DaveF wrote:I’m no IA, but that doesn’t seem to qualify as “owner-produced parts” according to any of the descriptions I’ve read. I don’t think it means “the owner came into my office, opened a box, and produced the parts!” :lol:

I wouldn’t ask my IA to sign off on that.
Dave, the “owner produced parts” rule among other methods may be reduced to the minimum requirment that the owner participate in the quality-control of the part being produced. It can be done several ways, including determining the parts used are of the proper quality by comparison or reverse-engineering. Your IA does not need to “sign off” on a pump repair. Any A&P can do that.

There IS some consideration to the difference between manufacture of a new part and a repair, and I can agree that a repair does not qualify as a new owner-produced part. (I’d still not be opposed to using parts which are clearly the same quality in my fuel pump, similarly I’ve used identical-part-numbered automotive replacement brushes in my generator.). YMMV
mike.bernath

Post by mike.bernath »

Morning, yes I understood what you meant and yes I have been looking in the salvage yards for anything useable as is or core to rebuild. yes I can purchase new or overhauled, I am just put out at the cost of what is basically a $60 automotive pump that in 48 was specked from someone's automobile in the Cessna park lot. I am the only A+P and IA that I have to please. I like this old airplane and aviation but jeez why do we put up with the cost in the name of liability and safety. Sorry for the rant, thanks for the help, mike
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

It’s partly due to a diminishing market. These fuel pumps are becoming a specialty part when certification-authority is required, and shelf-life becomes an enemy of yesterday’s prices. Advisory Circular AC 23-27 may offer some relief in that the use of equivalent automotive parts can be substituted in certain cases for older aircraft.

https://rgl.faa.gov/REGULATORY_AND_GUID ... 023-27.pdf
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

That AC makes a lot more sense than using “owner produced” as a basis of approval.
rickyricky2

Post by rickyricky2 »

Call Mike in the shop at Then and Now Automotive Weymouth MA. 781-335-8860
He rebuilds fuel pumps for antique cars all the time. He may have a core for you.
He rebuilds motor mounts. He made a mold and made rubber cowling mounts for a 985 in a Beech 18 for a friend of mine.

Dick Bryant
N2704C
mike.bernath

Post by mike.bernath »

Morning, got mad and bought an overhauled pump $849.00. probably will get bit for more when they see my core. thanks to all of you for the input, mike