170A Verse 170B

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

Railman_

170A Verse 170B

Post by Railman_ »

Can anyone tell me the major differents between a 170A and 170B? Why does the B model consistantly demand a higher price? :D Thanks
N2865C

Post by N2865C »

AR Dave

Post by AR Dave »

Railman,
Glad to see your participation. However, that particular question is one that needs to be looked up under Search first. The discussion kinda turns into a big debate, but very informative. Clik on Search located above, then type in 1952, and scroll down through the discussions to your question. The B symbol was simply Cessna's official indication for Best, starting in 1952!
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

Hey Railman were you located in NJ?
Do the search and read all that has been written and then ask questions. All the 170s are great aircraft and all the models have their plus and minuses. The B model being the last is thought to have the most improvements in such things as heaters/defrost and such which is why they generally bring a better price. Many would argue they aren't worth the extra money over an A or a '48.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
zero.one.victor

Post by zero.one.victor »

The real difference between the B & the earlier models is the big flaps on the B. All the other differences and/or improvements --heater,instrument panel layout,switches,tailwheel steering linkage-- is just fluff. The reason for the B model price premium is that people just want them more. I guess they're brainwashed that ya gotta have the big flaps. I don't understand the big flap about the big flaps--IMHO,whatever (if any) improvement in the way they fly is not worth the increase in price. If you doubt that,just ask any ragwing or A model owner.

Eric
(flying a ragwing & damn glad of it!)
Railman_

Thank You All

Post by Railman_ »

Thanks for the information. I will use the search. :D :) Railman_
Bill Rusk

Post by Bill Rusk »

Railman

The B is the best if you will be using your 170 as a bush plane. The flaps make a big difference in that arena. If you are up North the heater is a BIG plus. If you use your 170 like a Cherokee or 172 then the extra bucks may not be worth it, an A model or straight 170 will do fine.

Bill
zero.one.victor

As a proud ragwing owner,I hate to admit it,but the big flaps on the B model are an advantage for STOL work.

Eric :oops:
AR Dave

Post by AR Dave »

:lol: :lol: :lol:
The Best thing about having a B is teasing the A's!!!!!!!!!!
R COLLINS

Post by R COLLINS »

Who's teasing who, ours are faster and our wings are not bent :!: :twisted: :twisted: RC
51 Cessna 170A N1263D
doug8082a

Post by doug8082a »

Big flaps are certainly one of the main differences and they certainly add to the STOL/slow flight capabilities as Eric pointed out. I can fly mine so slow I could get out and walk faster than the stupid thing... but so what? Being on the East coast as I am, I doubt you'll see any REAL bush flying with it. I can't think of any strips around my area less than 1500' and we're at darn near sea level, so I don't see where REAL STOL performance would be a factor.

They are all good planes. If you are looking to buy one, find one that you like and that meets as much of your selection criteria as possible, buy it and fly the pants off it. You'll be glad you did.
Doug
N1478D

Re: 170A Verse 170B

Post by N1478D »

Railman_ wrote:Can anyone tell me the major differents between a 170A and 170B? Why does the B model consistantly demand a higher price? :D Thanks
Railman

"The B is the best if you will be using your 170 as a bush plane. The flaps make a big difference in that arena. If you are up North the heater is a BIG plus. If you use your 170 like a Cherokee or 172 then the extra bucks may not be worth it, an A model or straight 170 will do fine.

Bill"

Ouch Bill, that hurts! Railman, I've seen A's sell for more than B's in certain instances. If your piloting skills require that you need big flaps to slow her down and land in a short distance - then only look for a B. Otherwise, you will be able to land an A or ragwing or a B in so few feet that your issue will be taking off, not landing. Big flaps don't do that much more for clearance over an obstacle on takeoff. The nice clean look of the classic straight wing, extra speed, lighter without having counter weights all over the place - except where there's heating ducts and heavier panel blocking the view will allow you to poke fun at the bent wing crowd. :lol:

P.S. Railman - there is one REALLY sow B, slower than the rest, that operates out of central Texas. Really give it some thought on buying a B, he never arrives before nightfall.
Joe
51 C170A
Grand Prairie, TX
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

Oh boy. I tried to be fair and nice to all the models yet give some meaningful info in my earliar posts. But I can see this is going down hill fast. :lol: :lol:

I have a few hours in both the A and B model. As for the flaps if you only ever flew an A model you wouldn't miss the big flaps. You would know how to fly the plane to get it where you needed it.
But if you have flown a B model with the big flaps, in a sense they can make you lazy. After all you can be high on approach pull in them big barn doors and go almost straight down.

Again all the models have advantages over the others. They are all great. Figure out what YOU want to do with the plane and buy the one that fits YOUR type of flying. I'm sure all here will agree.
Last edited by Bruce Fenstermacher on Sun Mar 07, 2004 9:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
zero.one.victor

Railman,I was trying to say the same thing as Doug & Bruce--all 170's are great airplanes. Whichever model you get,learn to fly it well ( in other words,fly the hell out of it) and chances are you'll never have any regrets about your choice of model. Just by the best one you can afford,have a mechanic who knows 170's (or at least single-engine Cessna's) look it over thoroughly before you buy.
I found a great deal on a ragwing & bought it to tide me over til I found the right B model to buy. That was 6-1/2 years and about 1100 hours ago........

Eric
AR Dave

Post by AR Dave »

Railman - see what I mean? :lol:
I've only been in one 170, that'd be mine, which is a 55B. So don't know of differences. From reading these post, the heater does seem to be a difference though. I flew mine in Alaska for many years. My wife, kids, & I, have never lacked for heat and I simply open the defrost to clear the windshield which did fog fast at 0 deg. Living in New Jersey, you'd want to consider this.
I agree with 9141A, you must decide what you're going to do with it. Are you going to fly it like a 172 or a taildragger? If taildragger, then there are other more important issue like having an 80" prop!