170A Verse 170B

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

Come on Dave an 80" inch prop first.

I'd rather have an aircraft with all the paperwork right.

Then I'd like a fairly well maintained aircraft mechanically.

Then I'd want the heater/defroster found unfortunately only in later B models. I'd be looking for a light aircraft but with some radio and nav equipment. Dual venturis would be a plus with decent gyros to go along with the nav equipment for light IFR work. I'd like it to have the heavier tailwheel mount and a Scott 3200 in decent shape. Cleveland brakes and solid axles would be a plus. Don't care much about paint and the interior only has to be servicable. I also like bigger tires but if it came with wheel pants that would be OK cause I could take them off and keep them just in case.

Nope an 80" prop is nowhere in there. :D
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
N1478D

Post by N1478D »

N9149A wrote:Oh boy. I tried to be fair and nice to all the models yet give some meaningful info in my earliar posts. But I can see this is going down hill fast. :lol: :lol:

I have a few hours in both the A and B model. As for the flaps if you only ever flew an A model you wouldn't miss the big flaps. You would know how to fly the plane to get it where you needed it.
But if you have flown a B model with the big flaps, in a sense they can make you lazy. After all you can be high on approach pull in them big barn doors and go almost straight down.

Again all the models have advantages over the others. They are all great. Figure out what YOU want to do with the plane and buy the one that fits YOUR type of flying. I'm sure all here will agree.
I Agree! But it's tough being out numbered all of the time! :lol:
Joe
51 C170A
Grand Prairie, TX
mit

Post by mit »

I had a 48 for 10 years and put about 500 hours on it. I have had a 54B since 91 and have put about 600 hours on it. I perfer the B. The 48 was not approved on floats, I did fly it on skis. I fly the B on wheels, skis and Floats with the 145.
Tim
AR Dave

Post by AR Dave »

Oops! :oops:
How did that 80" prop comment slip out?
The most important thing Railman, even if you never fly the 170 like a taildragger, is to try to convince everyone that the best set up is the way your's is set up. Then you can save you're money and quietly be on the look out for a 170B, 80", 8.50's, & SONY CD STEREO! :lol: :lol:
Ok I've had enough fun!
Thanks for helping me to smile this week, it's been - (minus) 40 degs F here all week. Going home to 70 deg tomorrow! :D
PS - Use MoGas! (almost forgot that button) More-gas keeps me in a job, btw!
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Posted by: Jeff Matthews
Posted: Mon Mar 08, 2004 5:23 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Because the instrument panel is sooo uuuugggley that you can hack it up and put in all sorts of modern fripfrappery with a clear conscience. It's the fripfrappery that jacks the price up, not the airframe.

The early panel has such nice lines that anything you do hurts it. So if you want a nice IFR setup, center stack, ram's horn wheels with ptt, and, heaven forbid, comfy seats, you're out of luck, esthetically.

Oh yeah, the counterbalanced elevator keeps the bellcrank from crashing into the stops and cracking the bulkhead when you turn the wheel loose, and the stiffer gear doesn't let the plane wallow around so much in a crosswind. And you need half an hour and a screwdriver to properly preflight the engine.

heh.

(tried smileys once, but they didn't fit)
===================================

Posted by: Mike Smith

Posted: Mon Mar 08, 2004 5:50 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You really ought to do a search on this website and look at some of the earlier topics about this.

I have an "A" and when I was looking around the "B" model seemed to have the price edge due to the bigger flaps "everyone" saying "you ought to get a B-model". Well, I'm sooo happy with my "A" that I think the best advice is to find the best airplane that fits your mission (IFR-VFR-long range tanks or whatever) and desires (paint job, interior - i.e. looks) and buy it.

You can't really go wrong with the 170 unless you're buying some problems that are hidden. Sooo, the best advice again I've heard is to get an annual before the purchase to "discover" the "oh by the way" stuff.

If you get locked into a "B", you might miss a really cherry ragwing or "A" that goes up for sale.

Good Luck,

Posted by: zero.one.victor

Posted: Mon Mar 08, 2004 9:03 pm Post subject:

George,how about donning your moderator hat & moving these posts into the other (duplicate) "A vs B" topic? Thanks,

Eric

==========================

Posted by: gahorn

Posted: Mon Mar 08, 2004 9:28 pm Post subject:

Unfortunately there is no moderator "tool" to merge topics. Splitting topics, yes. But not merging them.
The best I could do would be to copy/paste.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)