Flying to Tehachapi

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

n3833v

Post by n3833v »

Yes Harold, I been working on planning with AOPA planner and have my out the south and up through CA and back the north route just about in place. I am looking forward to the trip and convention. I hope to see many there.
John Hess
Past President 2018-2021
President 2016-2018, TIC170A
Vice President 2014-2016, TIC170A
Director 2005-2014, TIC170A
N3833V Flying for Fun
'67 XLH 900 Harley Sportster
EAA Chapter 390 Pres since 2006
K3KNT
n3437d

Flying to Tehachapi

Post by n3437d »

For those of you that are flying to the 170 convention and your flight plan takes you near KCXP (Carson City, NV), you are welcome to stop and rest a spell. I might even have an extra bedroom or two if needed.
Visitors are more than welcome. Stop by and say hello.
Harold Holiman

Advice needed

Post by Harold Holiman »

I received all of my VFR charts for the flight today. I need some advice from some of you western flyers. We plan on spending the last night before arriving Tehachapi in Kingman, AZ. Before receiving the charts, I had planned on basicly following the highways from Kingman to Tehachapi, but because of R-2515 I see this is not possable. What route is recommended from Kingman to Tehachapi. Kingman to Palmdale to Tehachapi looks logical but I don't know what all the local situations are for flying in that area. Remember most of us Southern boys are used to the traffic density of Arkansas, Mississippi, Alabama, or Georgia, staying away from the Atlanta and such areas when possable. Even when we fly in the Atlanta area, traffic is generally spread out and not funnelled into narrow corridors like mountain passes or between restricted areas. Any advice appreciated. George, maby you will be ahead of me and I can just slow flite behind you. Seriously, any advice will be appreciated on this or any other part of my route from Georgia.

Harold
Dave Clark

Post by Dave Clark »

Harold

Kingman to Palmdale and on will work great. That's how I get to LA only I'm usually over Needles on my direct flight. If your GPS or Loran shows the restricted and MOAs it's very easy to avoid them. Even the old fashioned VORs will keep you out of trouble. You won't see much traffic all the way to Tehachapi and you won't need to talk to anybody, except maybe to yourself :wink:
Dave
N92CP ("Clark's Plane")
1953 C-180
Harold Holiman

Post by Harold Holiman »

I have my charts and have basicly figured my route out to Tehachapi and my different route back home. Any comments on any of these planned stops appreciated. I am mostly planning about 350nm 400sm between stops and hoping for not too much headwind westbound.

Westbound flight: LaFayette, GA (9A5) to Heber Springs, AR (HBZ)(fuel & eat) to Elk City, OK (ELK)(fuel & overnight) to Albuquerque, NM (AEG)(fuel & eat) to Kingman, AZ (IGM)(fuel & overnight) to Tehachapi, CA (TSP).

Eastbound flight: Tehachapi, CA (TSP) to Payson, AZ (PAN)(fuel & eat) to Roswell, NM (ROW)(fuel & overnight) to Frederickburg, TX (T82)(fuel & eat) to Georgetown, TX (GTU)(visit overnight) to Greenville, MS (GLH)(visit overnight) to LaFayette, GA (9A5).

George, have you been to the Hanger Hotel and Diner yet? We are stopping in Frederickburg just to see the hotel and try the diner before going to my brother's in Austin on our way home.

Harold H
N92CP
Mbr# 893
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

I watched it being built, but haven't visited it yet. Late summer the paramutuel horseracing season begins at the adjacent track, and the township is full of German archetecture, antiques, and food.
Sedona, AZ is a nice place to stay overnight if you spend a bit of time looking around town. Plan an extra day.
Roswell is not a place I'd recommend for overnight. Ruidoso is much nicer. Get a condo if you can and plan to spend a night or two. Nearby Cloudcroft, White Sands, and the Fort are worth seeing. Nearby Lincoln (15 miles away) is a worthwhile drive to see where the "Lincoln County Wars" occured and Billy the Kid escaped from jail and killed his jailer. (Murdered, according to the crooked sherrif who'd himself murdered Billy's employer, a local storekeeper. The museum has some contemporary letters written by locals who said Billy was not a criminal, but basically a good guy deceived by the sherrif and double-crossed by the governor.) See the family-oriented show and chuck-wagon dinner at the Flying "J" ranch. You'll love it. (I'll try to get a reservations service number for you for in the Ruidoso area.)
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
Dave Clark

Post by Dave Clark »

Harold and all

Payson is a very pretty town, no red rocks like Sedona but we have a wonderful on field campground, decent resaurant, FBO, and fuel. Sorry I won't be here or I'd offer the guest room. We'll be in Washington state for the Summer. I might get a wild hair and fly down for the convention though but the chances are slim.

Consider Lake Havasu or Laughlin instead of Kingman. Not much in Kingman.
Dave
N92CP ("Clark's Plane")
1953 C-180
Harold Holiman

Post by Harold Holiman »

George and Dave,

Thanks for the comments. George, the reason we picked Roswell is that Carolyn wants to go to the UFO museum there. Billy the Kid was also in Mississippi quite a bit. My Daddy showed me several places he supposadly was when I was young. We'll probably have to make the Ruidoso area on another trip.Also, we would like to stay at the Hanger Hotel but will be staying with my Brother in Austin. We are going to try the Diner though. We'll look at Sedona vs Kingman or Laughlin. Dave, we have been debating between Laughlin and Kingman. We were in Laughlin several years ago and like it very much. The Route 66 museum is our only attraction to Kingman. Do you know if it is worth the time? Thanks for the info on Pyson.

George, we may or may not see you at Petit Jean. Carolyn is still teaching then so it would be about 4 PM before we could leave plus our calendar is pretty full about then. I think it would be a good time to try out our new tent and sleeping bags that we have never used, or even set up, but if we can come I think she wants to opt for the Lodge. We have been to Petit Jean several times but the last time was probably over fifteen years ago.

Harold
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Harold, are you sure you're thinking of Billy the Kid (alias Wm H Bonney alias Henry McCarty)? Or are you thinking of Jesse James, originally of Missouri?
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
Harold Holiman

Post by Harold Holiman »

George,

You are right again. I guess it was one of my senior moments. It was Jessie James. One of the places in Mississippi was "Little Texas" which no longer exists which was near "Lowdie" which was where my Daddy was born which also no longer exists. These places are in the area between Kilmichael and Grenada in north central Mississippi.

Harold
Dave Clark

Post by Dave Clark »

Harold
I've never been to the museum in Kingman, sorry.
Dave
N92CP ("Clark's Plane")
1953 C-180
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Not to take the "steam" out of Carolyn's curiosity, but the UFO museum I saw in ROW in 2000 pretty much resembles a tourist trap.
The area and drive 50 miles west of ROW around Lincoln, Capitan, and Ruidoso is full of western history and excellent opportunities for antiqueing/sightseeing. and the Flying J show and restaraunts in/around Ruidoso are worthwhile. (Plus the cool, mountain fresh air upon disembarking at Ruidoso will never leave your memory.)
n3833v

Post by n3833v »

I coming in the NE corner of NM to Raton[RTN] for the Whittington NRA Center and then to KAEG for the Old Town. Going to KFLG, and up to the GC caverns and out to the Grand Canyon, winding my way on out to KTSP.
John Hess
Past President 2018-2021
President 2016-2018, TIC170A
Vice President 2014-2016, TIC170A
Director 2005-2014, TIC170A
N3833V Flying for Fun
'67 XLH 900 Harley Sportster
EAA Chapter 390 Pres since 2006
K3KNT
zero.one.victor

Post by zero.one.victor »

I spent about a week at Whittington Center back in 1989. It's a fantastic place. They had housing units that we stayed in,probably have a lot more housing facilities now. The countryside there is awesome. There are herds of pronghorn and elk,deer,birds,you name it. They also have excellent shooting range facilites for handgun rifle & shotgun.
What would really top the place off is if they had their own airstrip. Maybe by now, they do!

Eric
Harold Holiman

fuel costs

Post by Harold Holiman »

Our 100 low lead fuel here at 9A5 is now $2.85 cash or $2.95 credit card per gallon. It will probably top $3.00 with their next truckload. How much is it at airports in other areas, especially out west? It is already well over $3.00 at CHA. Our car gas, for the three grades self service, is about $1.60, $1.70, and $1.80, give or take a penny or two depending on the station. Hope aviation gas goes down or doesn't rise much more before Tehachapi.

Harold