The journey begins. 170B project.

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

DaveF

Re: The journey begins. 170B project.

Post by DaveF »

I echo Miles' sentiments and thank you for bringing one back! I look forward to seeing updates on your progress.
marathonrunner

Post by marathonrunner »

I agree with George with how hard do you want to hit a brick wall. However these STC/mods need to be an analyzed a bit better before being incorporated.

Unfortunately, I work on a lot of Cessna 180/185 aircraft...far inferior to the 170 due to the ever failing trim system and the stinger tailwheel. I can write volumes but will keep this to the Reader Digest version as opposed to the Michners version.

I think we can all agree that energy cannot be created or destroyed. It just manifests its way to the next weakest point. I do not have pictures to share now as I am not home, but convalescing after a major accident. There are tailwheel conversions for the 180/185 and I will not say the STC holders as I have already had lengthy conversations with individuals at the ACO responsible for the STC. They have larger wheels and tires which make it better for off airport landings without ripping off the tailwheel. Unfortunately the forces manifest themselves into the airframe and end up making the holes larger to the point of failure for the rudder bellcranks where the tailwheel springs attach and also wow out the tail stinger attach points. The tailwheel also becomes loose on the stinger.

It becomes a point of what do you want to fail more, the tailwheel or the rudder bellcranks which will then not allow steering? I have sent many examples to the FAA and written many useless MDF reports.

The solution for the individual responsible for the STC holder is to make a statement in their documentation to inspect these areas. The bellcranks are difficult to access even with panels in the fuselage.

Not a 170 issue but again when you reinvent the wheel and make it better their is almost always a consequence.
It's not done till it's overdone
brian.olson

Post by brian.olson »

Allow me to get this back on track. Jazzaguma - can't wait to hear the next steps in your journey to getting that lovely bird back in the air again.

My wife and I took a quick 45-minute flight from Peachtree City to Columbus, GA for dinner tonight. Lovely FBO, used the crew car, ate some fantastic BBQ, and then a stellar night flight back home again with the lights of (really, really) south Atlanta blinking in the darkness. And did we not squeak the landing back at home? I dare say we did. A lovely cap to a lovely evening.

I look forward to hearing the stories of your first flight, and every flight after that. Blue skies -
Brian
1950 170A
N5762C s/n 19716
Jazasaguma

Post by Jazasaguma »

Yep. Solid axles installed. What do I look for in the structure to ensure the mod was done in order to remove the center windshield bar? And would I have to have an STC/337 for that? Also.... I'm not seeing an STC/337 for the baggage door installation. I've ordered a FAA records CD for the plane to make sure it wasn't simply lost over time. If it was never done....am I looking at a nightmare scenario with the Feds? Or a simple matter of getting an IA to inspect and sign off on the installation via a 337.....Assuming it was "salvaged" from a 172/180 and installed IAW 43:13 standards and based on Cessna engineering and approval for same. P-Ponk..... hmmmm. Well, I'd "like" to think I have the skills to avoid a situation where the mod would be needed, as my first 100 hours tailwheel time were in my '38 Luscombe and I never even came close to ground looping!! But....as they say....there are two kinds of taildragger pilots, "those who HAVE ground looped....and those who WILL!! Lol. Thanks for your input/advice gentleman! Always appreciated.
Jazasaguma

Post by Jazasaguma »

Gary.....first let me say how impressed I am at you powers of observation!!! How in the world did you know those were 800.6 tires??!!! Lol. Yes. They are. My vision for the plane is keeping the 145 until I get a few hundre hours in the plane and then "maybe" upgrading to a Cont 360. LOVE the 6 cyl Continentals. Smooth. During the resto/rebuild, my plan was for a Horton STOL kit, but after researching the Sportsman.... I'm thinking I will install that STOL kit instead. Comments? I'll install a tail pull. A simple 6-pak instrument panel with a Garmin comm, transponder, (may as well as ads-b) and a Garmin 696 GPS. (Or equivalent). My shop is my 3 car garage which my wife lovingly gave up her spot for the cause. Awwww. Lol. Yes......my dream, as I approach retirement is to take the plane to any and all back country strips I can and enjoy camping under the wing, etc....
bagarre

Post by bagarre »

Jazasaguma wrote:Yep. Solid axles installed. What do I look for in the structure to ensure the mod was done in order to remove the center windshield bar? And would I have to have an STC/337 for that? Also.... I'm not seeing an STC/337 for the baggage door installation. I've ordered a FAA records CD for the plane to make sure it wasn't simply lost over time. If it was never done....am I looking at a nightmare scenario with the Feds? Or a simple matter of getting an IA to inspect and sign off on the installation via a 337.....Assuming it was "salvaged" from a 172/180 and installed IAW 43:13 standards and based on Cessna engineering and approval for same. P-Ponk..... hmmmm. Well, I'd "like" to think I have the skills to avoid a situation where the mod would be needed, as my first 100 hours tailwheel time were in my '38 Luscombe and I never even came close to ground looping!! But....as they say....there are two kinds of taildragger pilots, "those who HAVE ground looped....and those who WILL!! Lol. Thanks for your input/advice gentleman! Always appreciated.
The center brace on the windscreen goes away if one of the aftermarket thicker windshields have been installed via STC. The thicker windscreen without the brace will have a different retaining system at the top to prevent it from popping out - Either a lip with a retaining channel or 4 bolts depending on the manufacturer. There are a couple different styles.

If the baggage door has no paperwork, you'll need to get it approved. (same with the windscreen) With any luck, it's a normal door install and you can buy the current STC paperwork from Chris at Del-Air - verify it's installed per the STC paperwork and file it with a 337.

Both of those should have logbook entries to go with the 337s tho.
Jazasaguma

Post by Jazasaguma »

Hmmmmmm. What the heck??? Anybody know what this is on the front left of my engine is?? If I didn't know better, I'd say it's some kind of simplistic prop control device. The crankshaft also has a plug in it as if for a constant speed prop!!! Was there ever a such an animal on this engine?? Maybe a 2 position prop like the old aerobatic?
Attachments
IMG_0321.JPG
Jazasaguma

Post by Jazasaguma »

Glamour girl under the lights!! Lol. Amazing all the attention a plane or antique car (my other hobby) gets on a trailer coming home. Lol.
Attachments
IMG_0326.JPG
c170b53

Post by c170b53 »

That’s the overdrive lever....err time for you to foray into our search engine...please come back :D
Jim McIntosh..
1953 C170B S/N 25656
02 K1200RS
bagarre

Post by bagarre »

Jazasaguma wrote:Hmmmmmm. What the heck??? Anybody know what this is on the front left of my engine is?? If I didn't know better, I'd say it's some kind of simplistic prop control device. The crankshaft also has a plug in it as if for a constant speed prop!!! Was there ever a such an animal on this engine?? Maybe a 2 position prop like the old aerobatic?
-2H engines had a controllable pitch prop capability. Not constant speed but you could change the pitch with a lever in the cockpit.
That engine would allow you to swing an Aeromatic propeller with he High Cruise feature but...that propeller is no longer supported by anyone. The current owner of the Aeromatic prop doesnt suport the High Cruise prop.
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

bagarre wrote:
Jazasaguma wrote:Hmmmmmm. What the heck??? Anybody know what this is on the front left of my engine is?? If I didn't know better, I'd say it's some kind of simplistic prop control device. The crankshaft also has a plug in it as if for a constant speed prop!!! Was there ever a such an animal on this engine?? Maybe a 2 position prop like the old aerobatic?
-2H engines had a controllable pitch prop capability. Not constant speed but you could change the pitch with a lever in the cockpit.
That engine would allow you to swing an Aeromatic propeller with he High Cruise feature but...that propeller is no longer supported by anyone. The current owner of the Aeromatic prop doesnt suport the High Cruise prop.
There is mentioned in the Type Certificate the possibility of a "contollable" two-position prop mfr'd by McCauley. It's all-metal and uses a slightly larger spinner. One of our Members has one on his B-model...the only one of which I'm aware. (Dave Bengston)
Adjustable prop.jpg
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
c170b53

Post by c170b53 »

I thought it was the 0-300B engine that had this "get there faster lever" . When would that engine have Been made available and which year for the "B" . I'm thinking it's just the 53 year model ( just guessing )
Jim McIntosh..
1953 C170B S/N 25656
02 K1200RS
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

The O-300-B and the C-145-2H are different nomenclatures for what are essentially the same engine. (The differences between O-300 and C-145 engines is mostly the name, changed by TCM to comply in efforts to standardize their engine descriptions. However, certain other "minor" changes may have occured around the same time, such as a swap of the steel cam/iron lifters versus iron cam/steel lifters, etc. I'm not as well versed on such small changes as others but those came to mind.)
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
Jazasaguma

Post by Jazasaguma »

Now THAT would be the Cats meow!!! I'd love to find one.
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

Jim, the C-145-2H was renamed 0-300B as the C-145-2 was renamed 0-300A, sometime in 55-56 time frame. The 0-300B was NEVER added to the TCDS for the 170 though I believe we could show Cessna delivered 55 models with the 0-300B installed. That picture is of David Bengston's '56. David could be wrong, but he says his airplane has the original engine installed and it is a 0-300B. David's airplane is the airplane that I think we could use to show Cessna build and delivered at least one 170 with an illegal engine according to the TCDS.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com