SKY TEC starter problems

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

DMACJR

SKY TEC starter problems

Post by DMACJR »

Okay fellow C170 owner/operators, got a problem that I am trying to solve for a fellow C170B owner, that has a Skytech starter installed, I do not know time in service since install right now, but this is an ongoing issue that I'm seeking some outside insight to fixing.....once and for all....I'm not into seeking help from you all to start a debate on old vs new, etc., just some help to cure this PITA problem.....wiring has been checked, master solenoid checked, master switch checked and the list goes on and no resolve.....here's what he sent me over the Xmas holiday.......short of R&R the whole unit, we are at a loss for idea's.....

"I have something I want to run by you with regard to my airplane not starting. It happened again a couple of days ago and I now have a trend or thread I can point to and I want to run it by you to see what you think. In looking back since I've had the airplane, every time it has failed to start has been after it has been running (flying) for a while...every time. It has never failed to start on the first start of the day, only after being shut down and restarted (attempt to restart) after an hour or two sitting. Does that give you any ideas? Could it have anything to do with heat or components in the starting system being warm? I don't know, but it must mean something or relate to something. I don't know why it took me so long to put all that together, but at least now, I have something in common with each failure to start."
n3833v

Re: SKY TEC starter problems

Post by n3833v »

Do I understand that it doesn't crank to start? This could be a problem in the starter field or armature winding's that open when hot. If it cranks but doesn't start, it sounds like vapor locking. I do know about progressive problems and they are very frustrating. I hope you can narrow the problem so it doesn't continue to be a PITA.

John
John Hess
Past President 2018-2021
President 2016-2018, TIC170A
Vice President 2014-2016, TIC170A
Director 2005-2014, TIC170A
N3833V Flying for Fun
'67 XLH 900 Harley Sportster
EAA Chapter 390 Pres since 2006
K3KNT
DMACJR

Post by DMACJR »

Its a no turning over issue.....
johneeb

Post by johneeb »

Has your buddy tried, when experiencing this issue, getting out and with the mag switch off turn over the engine (forward and backward) by hand and then try the starter again?
John E. Barrett
aka. Johneb

Sent from my "Cray Super Computer"
ghostflyer

Post by ghostflyer »

Due to the issues we had with sky tec starters in our shop and the lack of after sales service we will not fit one these anymore. We will Only go with what the manufacture fits or a company called B and C . The quality control with sky tec doesn't exist . My personal experience was a new starter from sky tec fitted to my 180hp engine . There was a new battery also fitted . It would turn over slowly indicating a flat battery but sucking up a huge amount of current . We checked everything so the battery was changed to a much larger one .then "BANG" . The nose of the starter broke off . OMG!!!!. Contacted sky tec and they said it was a kick back from the engine . Mmmm maybe ! Timing checked As per the tech book .Nothing wrong with the timing . We had another sky tec starter on the shelf that could be used for 6 and 4 cylinder engines . This was fitted and engine started just fine . One of our mechanics started to pull down the original starter to see if we could fix it . No they will not sell spare parts . He then found some circlips not fitted to the drive shalf . It was binding as it turned over . At that time we had some more starters in the shop (all sky tec) .that had issues . No help from sky tec . It was always the operators fault they said . So my advice is fit a new starter of another brand as this one will let you down .
DMACJR

Post by DMACJR »

Thanks ghostflyer
flyboy122

Post by flyboy122 »

I put a new SkyTec on my PA-12. Early on the solenoid stuck and it never disengaged, causing it to run against the ring gear for a half hour (I didn't hear/realize it until I shut the mags off and the engine kept turning on starter!). This pretty much trashed the starter. I made it through another month or two before it gave up. Called Sky Tec, told them what happened, sent it in, and they repaired (probably replaced) it right away. They said they opened it up and could tell the solenoid had stuck. Not sure how, but they didn't argue with me.

I found their service to be prompt, courteous, and honest. I'm not discounting the others' experiences with Skytec, just relaying my own. I have a B&C on my 170, and have found their service to be excellent as well.

DEM
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

The Sky Tec is a permanent-magnet field so it isn't the field windings.
The armature windings may have a bad connection/solder or open commutator which, once hot, does not make contact. In a friend's starter this was an intermittent issue and the shop found it on the bench after baking it in the oven.

I am also not a fan of Sky Tec starters. Most people who select them do so based mostly on price. B & C has a much better reputation when it comes to light-weight starters.

Hope this helps.

George (fan of original Delco-Remy)
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)