Plastic Shopping bags ,a better use

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

ghostflyer

Plastic Shopping bags ,a better use

Post by ghostflyer »

We all get those plastic shopping bags from the super market and the ones i am talking about are a light grey in color and very thin . They aren't shiny like normal plastic bags . I was shown the other day to cut them open into a panel and when fiberglassing coat the the finished job with the plastic bag and then a plastic spatula dipped in detergent smooth out the job and leave . When the fiberglass has gone off ,the plastic just peels away leaving a smooth job . Very little sanding now required .
wingnut

Re: Plastic Shopping bags ,a better use

Post by wingnut »

I'm glad you found a use for them. Now come to Arkansas, Wal-Mart headquarters, and you can collect all you need along the highways. It isn't as bad as it was many years ago, but at one time the Wal-Mart baggies made it on a ballot measure to replace the Apple Blossom as the state flower. Of course it failed to make the grade here in the 'Natural State' but it did succeed in bringing awareness to our white trash issues. Much like seatbelt use, it usually takes a generation to change habits.
Del Lehmann
Mena, Arkansas
daedaluscan

Post by daedaluscan »

I lived for a while in a Department (State) in France where they banned them because of the litter problem. Everyone was up in arms for about a week, and then life went on without them.

As Arash will tell you the model guys do some amazing glass work, often using waxed mylar sheets which they actually paint before laying up glass on and vacuum bagging. The finished painted surface can be very good.
Charlie

1956 170B C-GDRG #27019
ghostflyer

Post by ghostflyer »

My point was regarding the plastic bags that there is another use for them and it's a cheap use plus we have collected them from home and also use them for rubbish collection around the hangar . It's a crime really to dispose of them on highways and parking lots ,there is no need for this behaviour . The world is a bigger enough rubbish tip as it is without adding to it . :arrow:
cessna170bdriver

Post by cessna170bdriver »

With two cat litter boxes to clean every day, its hard to have too many plastic bags on hand.
Miles

“I envy no man that knows more than myself, but pity them that know less.”
— Thomas Browne
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

The make excellent cat-disposal bags if you tie a knot in them before you toss them into the bay. (The sharks prefer them to the empty bags, also.)
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)