Windshield "V" brace

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

T. C. Downey

Windshield "V" brace

Post by T. C. Downey »

What is the part number? who makes it? it is not in the Cessna 170 IPB. Cessna tech does not have a part number or a blue print. What paper work should be applied if one is installed? have your reference ready, no guesses, no opinions, I need a solid answer that is FAA acceptable.
hilltop170

Re: Windshield "V" brace

Post by hilltop170 »

You didn't say please! :D :D

Do you want stock Cessna or is after-market ok? Cessna made two different styles for float kit equipped planes, steel tube and tension rod styles. Most planes have steel tube. They should be included in the Cessna Service Kit for optional float installations.

Did you check the Cessna 180 and 185 Cessna Service Kit for float installations? The V-brace should be the same. That is all the info I have on them, no part numbers or basis of approval.

Atlee Dodge in Anchorage makes superior larger diameter steel tube V-braces. Call Atlee.
Last edited by hilltop170 on Fri Jul 29, 2016 4:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Richard Pulley
2014-2016 TIC170A Past President
1951 170A, N1715D, s/n 20158, O-300D
Owned from 1973 to 1984.
Bought again in 2006 after 22 years.
It's not for sale!
mit

Post by mit »

Cessna didn't make one for 170's most I have seen are installed by field approval.
Tim
T. C. Downey

Post by T. C. Downey »

I talked to Cessna tech this AM, they say no, they never made them for the 170.
Attlee Dodge makes them, they have PMA for their 180 version but their web page does not say they do for the 170.

How does the addition of a "V" brace constitute a major alteration?
Quote 43-A(a) Major alterations—(1) Airframe major alterations. Alterations of the following parts and alterations of the following types, when not listed in the aircraft specifications issued by the FAA, are airframe major alterations:

(i) Wings.

(ii) Tail surfaces.

(iii) Fuselage.

(iv) Engine mounts.

(v) Control system.

(vi) Landing gear.

(vii) Hull or floats.

(viii) Elements of an airframe including spars, ribs, fittings, shock absorbers, bracing, cowling, fairings, and balance weights.

(ix) Hydraulic and electrical actuating system of components.

(x) Rotor blades.

(xi) Changes to the empty weight or empty balance which result in an increase in the maximum certificated weight or center of gravity limits of the aircraft.

(xii) Changes to the basic design of the fuel, oil, cooling, heating, cabin pressurization, electrical, hydraulic, de-icing, or exhaust systems.

(xiii) Changes to the wing or to fixed or movable control surfaces which affect flutter and vibration characteristics.
mit

Post by mit »

Put it in with a log book entry then.
Tim
hilltop170

Post by hilltop170 »

T. C. Downey wrote:..........Atlee Dodge makes them, they have PMA for their 180 version but their web page does not say they do for the 170.

How does the addition of a "V" brace constitute a major alteration?

Quote 43-A(a) Major alterations—(1) Airframe major alterations. Alterations of the following parts and alterations of the following types, when not listed in the aircraft specifications issued by the FAA, are airframe major alterations:

(viii) Elements of an airframe including ......... bracing.............

At the risk of sounding redundant, I repeat, Call Atlee.
Richard Pulley
2014-2016 TIC170A Past President
1951 170A, N1715D, s/n 20158, O-300D
Owned from 1973 to 1984.
Bought again in 2006 after 22 years.
It's not for sale!
n2582d

Post by n2582d »

Tom, That was thoughtful of you to quote the FAA to show that the installation of a V-brace is a major alteration; :wink: I too would have thought it was a minor alteration. Did you by chance do a search on this site using V-brace in quotation marks? If so, you would have come across nine pages of guys discussing the installation of these including two 337 forms in the Maintenance Library.
SL 62-18 V-Brace.pdf
(298.11 KiB) Downloaded 596 times
talks about installing brace p/n 0513003-19 and doubler p/n 0713156-1 in early model 180's, which if I understand correctly, have the same cabin dimensions as the 170. Seems to me that this info should be acceptable data for a resonable guy at your FSDO. Another place to call, in addition to FA Dodge, would be Seaplanes West. They sell 1/4" bracing cables that run between the upper engine mount location on the firewall and the forward wing attach points on the 182. They also sell V-braces - not sure if either would fit the 170 though.
Gary
c170b53

Post by c170b53 »

I looked at the brace on my XP today, it's fairly flimsy. To add a vbrace might be a major alteration :wink: but there's little to it, all your really doing is putting two holes into the cabin/cowl deck and a doubler underneath. The brace makes for a good hand hold as long as it's not yanked on too hard, call it as such and bolt it in.
Jim McIntosh..
1953 C170B S/N 25656
02 K1200RS
T. C. Downey

Post by T. C. Downey »

As nice as it is to know all this data on a 180/182 it does not pertain to a 170.
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

T. C. Downey wrote:As nice as it is to know all this data on a 180/182 it does not pertain to a 170.
Me thinks if Tom wants to install a V brace his glass is half empty. :(

(On the other hand if Tom secretly really doesn't want to install the dumb V brace his glass is half full :? )
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

T. C. Downey wrote:What is the part number? who makes it? it is not in the Cessna 170 IPB. Cessna tech does not have a part number or a blue print. What paper work should be applied if one is installed? have your reference ready, no guesses, no opinions, I need a solid answer that is FAA acceptable.
Call Atlee Dodge and get with your FSDO for a Field Approval if it's that important to you.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)