dent in wing tip

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

rsmerrick

dent in wing tip

Post by rsmerrick »

Hello people I have a 48 rag wing and I put a dent on the wing tip before the nav light can't get to it thru rib hole any suge st ions on how to pull it back out again and make her pretty again
BeeMan

Re: dent in wing tip

Post by BeeMan »

Don't have any first-hand experience but I've read of using ice to pull small dents. Might search for something along those lines.
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

No first hand experience with a 170 rag wing but maybe you can work a cut off wood broom handle into the wing structure somehow. then feed it through several rib holes to the back of the dent. Use it to help push the dent out. The broom handle maybe to stiff to work through a inspection hole and if you can you probably want to shape the end so it is the same or smaller in diameter that the inside of the tip edge it that is where you need to push.

Others with more familiar with the bones of the rag wing might have other ideas.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
48rwflyboy

Post by 48rwflyboy »

It would help if you posted a photo of the exact location. Two things: thing 1....if is close to the nav light, perhaps removing the light would give you a chance to make a curved steel hook with a knob on the end to reach it and pull it out. thing 2....if the dent is in the leading edge of the wing tip "seam", which is very stiff, drilling a hole and pulling out the dent may work but of course some cosmetic work will be needed. I have some photos of that area when my wings were rebuilt if you are interested.
Ernie
MoonlightVFR

Post by MoonlightVFR »

Create a friendship with local automotive person who does "paint less" dent removal.

They have unique crevice tools but above all they have developed skills that won't mess up

At the risk of puncture damage to fabric -obviously proceed with caution

Maybe the dentjust adds character to a very fine 60 year old airplane
gradyb, '54 B N2890C
rsmerrick

Post by rsmerrick »

Thanks for the replies guys any info I get I pass on to my ame cheers Rob