Keeping the cowl inspection doors closed!!

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

Cameggs

Keeping the cowl inspection doors closed!!

Post by Cameggs »

I recently installed a freshly overhauled engine with new baffling (non plenum style). Since then, my inspection doors have been trying to open in flight. I've looked at remedies for this issue: extra latches; screws and metal tabs on the cowl ; various other ways to keep the doors closed. However, none of these were options I wanted to pursue as I didn't want to modify my cowl.

In search of an alternative modification, I realized the doors are subject to high pressure air from the top of the engine. If I could eliminate this the doors would stay closed. My solution: I modified the baffle a little!!

jmurtap

Re: Keeping the cowl inspection doors closed!!

Post by jmurtap »

Nice!!
Jason P
53 170
SN 25878

falco

Post by falco »

Was it threatening to do that before the overhaul as well? If not, what changed?

It's a real attention grabber when one of those big doors pops open and starts flapping 200 feet over the departure end. An experience best avoided.
170C

Post by 170C »

Nice looking solution. What is the item that is attached to the baffle with the large adel clamp, just above the oil filler cap?
OLE POKEY
170C
Director:
2012-2018
johneeb

Post by johneeb »

Frank, it looks like an air-oil separator like the one in the Spruce ad listed below.
http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/e ... mjaero.php
John E. Barrett
aka. Johneb

Sent from my "Cray Super Computer"
Cameggs

Post by Cameggs »

it is an air oil separator, its always had it so ive left it alone ill take a few more pics next time the cowl is off. The big thing that changed from old engine to new engine was all new baffling that seals way better then the old warn baffle.