Piano Key Switches

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

flyboy122

Piano Key Switches

Post by flyboy122 »

I'm getting to redo the panel in my '53 model. New panel, instrument layout, wiring, switches, avionics install....the works. This airplane is far from original, and the panel will be a relatively modern layout. That being said, I'm half thinking of installing a set of piano key switches. I know they aren't original to this year. I just think they look neat, and kind of add that period flair.

Is there a reason I shouldn't do this (other than originality, which quite frankly went out the window a long time ago on this bird)? I know nothing about these switches other than they look neat. What am I missing?

Thanks
DEM
n2582d

Re: Piano Key Switches

Post by n2582d »

The slot for the piano key switches on my '52 measures 13 1/8" X 11/16". Would you have enough room to mount the "piano keys" between your ignition key (42-4) and the cabin air knob (42-21)?
Gary
flyboy122

Post by flyboy122 »

Gary,

Thanks for the dimensions! That helps already.

In the 70's the owner tore out the original panel installed a modern (for 1977) type panel. Then he preceded not to touch it for the next 35 years. (Can you say ADF?) It's time to bring it into this century. I can put the switches pretty much wherever I want. I'm not really worried about originality, just going for the period feel.

DEM
blueldr

Post by blueldr »

The switches used in the old piano key set up were just normal SPDT switches. The "piano" keys used to flip them were just kind of superfluous and looked crappy if they got bent and screwed up the allignment. I always thought the switches by themselves would have looked betterand took them out of my '52 model.
BL
n2582d

Post by n2582d »

What makes these switches look "tired" and droopy is when the grommet that links the piano key to the electrical switch is worn out or missing.
Gary
flyboy122

Post by flyboy122 »

blueldr wrote:The switches used in the old piano key set up were just normal SPDT switches. The "piano" keys used to flip them were just kind of superfluous and looked crappy if they got bent and screwed up the allignment. I always thought the switches by themselves would have looked betterand took them out of my '52 model.
Don't suppose you still have them and want to get rid of them? :wink:

DEM
bagarre

Post by bagarre »

You see the piano key assembly for sale on Ebay every once in a while. None there now tho.
You can also ping the 120/140 guys as it's the same assembly.

When you replace the grommets, be sure there is a little bit of play between the grommet and switch pole.
I decided to snug them up with a piece of heat shrink tubing on the switch pole <- not a good idea.
The snugness prevented the switch from fully throwing into position. I burned up 3 landing light switches before I figured it out.

Swapping out a single switch is more fun than replacing the fuel selector.
Ron Smith

Post by Ron Smith »

Where do you get the grommets?
blueldr

Post by blueldr »

Dem,
I can't remember what I did with the old piano key set, but I'll look around the hangar the next time I get up there.

Sun., 30 Aug 15
Dem,
I was up in my hangar yesterday ( after I wrote the above ) and I guess I disposed of the old piano key kit. It wasn't around anyplace among the extremely valuable junk I normally seem to save for god knows what.
Last edited by blueldr on Sun Aug 30, 2015 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BL
bagarre

Post by bagarre »

Ron Smith wrote:Where do you get the grommets?
I got mine from Aircraft Spruce.
SteveF

Post by SteveF »

BL -

You sold the piano key set to me at a very fair price 8-10 years years ago.

As I wound up not using the keyboard I sent it to the association to be
auctioned of at one of the conventions. I think it was Branson MO.
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Ron, the grommets are also available thru common hardware sources such as Hope Despot and Lowes and that chineese fright place (in assortments).
In a dusty box in my hangar I have a piano keyboard you can make a donation of your own choice to the assoc'n for (plus owe me for postage.) It includes the dusty switches etc.
You can put in on my PayPal if that's convenient for you.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
blueldr

Post by blueldr »

SteveF,

Well dip me in S--- and call me stinky !!! You sure have a helluva lot better memory than mine. Thanks for enlightening me on the whereabouts of my old piano key set.
BL
flyboy122

Post by flyboy122 »

gahorn wrote:Ron, the grommets are also available thru common hardware sources such as Hope Despot and Lowes and that chineese fright place (in assortments).
In a dusty box in my hangar I have a piano keyboard you can make a donation of your own choice to the assoc'n for (plus owe me for postage.) It includes the dusty switches etc.
You can put in on my PayPal if that's convenient for you.
Gahorn,

Thanks! We'll be in touch as things moves forward. Spent 3 hours on my back under the panel this afternoon tearing out old wiring and avionics, and generally trying to figure out 60 years of sins.

Excuse my ignorance, but exactly how many switch positions are available on the standard Cessna piano key assembly? It looks like 8 keys but only 6 switches? Might need more than 6.

Thanks,
DEM
n2582d

Post by n2582d »

Yes, that is correct, there are only 6 switches on the original; the outer two don't pivot. I think with a little creativity, a bandsaw, and some extra switch keys you could have at least 8 switches.
image.jpg
Because each switch is a double throw switch you could operate 12 circuits with the 6 switches-- as long as you don't need to use what is in the up and down position at the same time. To do this remove the "J" shaped switch limiter. I wrote about this here.
Gary