Got my field approval for 8.50X6 tires!!!

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

learaviator

Got my field approval for 8.50X6 tires!!!

Post by learaviator »

After two years of screwing with the FAA trying to get a field approval on my 8.50X6 tires, I submitted my information to a DAR in Arkansas named Kenny Blalock. After looking at copies from other 170's, of two previous 337's for those tires with field approvals on them, plus mine that had all of the ICA on the back, he changed a couple of things on my ICA on the back, stamped and signed block three , and sent it out He is one of the very small group of DAR's that have function code 51 which is authorization for field approvals. He is a very smart man very knowledgeable and very easy to talk to. So there is a source for field approvals he will probably be a very very good connection for anything else someone would like to have done. The fee was $350. So if I look back at all of the headache and misery I went through 350 is relatively cheap. (501) 327-4339 is his telephone number, his name again is Kenny Blalock. If you Google him he has a small webpage set up. I am submitting it to the association so it can be made accessible.
"You can only tie the record for flying low"
1950 170A N9907A 180hp. STOL
blueldr

Re: Got my field approval for 8.50X6 tires!!!

Post by blueldr »

I have been under the impression that someone or some company had an STC or some such approval covering the 8,50 x 6 tires on the C-170.
Didn't an outfit up in Alaska ave an approval?
BL
juredd1

Post by juredd1 »

If I am remembering correctly Kenny was right off the SE end of the Conway, AR (kcws) airfield (old location) that was back in the early 2000's when I lived and received my training in Conway. Not sure if he's still in that location, since they opened up the new strip 10 miles out of town but doubt it now that they have X's on the runways now. An A&P buddy of mine worked for him trying get his IA but gave up and started working for Bill Paul another good IA out in Morriltion, AR. I was also thinking he does paint and such but it's been a while.

Awesome news as I have been considering it myself as I just love the bigger tires. I'll see if I can figure out his location now and maybe run by next week and visit.

Justin
My playground....
35°58’52.01” N 93°06’27.51” W
'54 170B White and Green with a hint of Red
KG

Post by KG »

53 170B
bigrenna

delete

Post by bigrenna »

delete
Last edited by bigrenna on Mon Jun 29, 2015 3:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
learaviator

Post by learaviator »

bigrenna wrote:I was gonna say... we've talked about this ad nauseum. No longer any need for FA's. Just put em on and have fun...
I realize that this has been hashed out, but here is MY reasoning for paying the money and thereby SHARING the info....I am an A&P and an IA, and since the wording is "original main gear wheels", and of course I have Cleveland Wheels and 180 gear, I do not want some new FAA maintenance guy, or my PMI (who inspects our 137 Fire Fighting Aircraft operation EVERY year)....to suddenly become interested in the big tires I have on my 170. And of course after he researches it and tells me that I can't have them, because of course he will not know of the letter to Atlee Dodge, and after I dig up the paper addressed to Atlee Dodge that says I can, he will point out the word Original, wondering how I have been an A&P for 38 years and still cannot read...hahaha
So for 350.00, I get to become the teacher.....LOL

So that is why......

He will turn out to be a very good resource for us I am sure, lots of common sense and a very nice guy, easy to talk to.
"You can only tie the record for flying low"
1950 170A N9907A 180hp. STOL