Interior pics

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

Bruce Fenstermacher

Re: Interior pics

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

Harlow you are a man after my own heart. I probably have more time flying in 170s with no headliner than with one installed. Though I've had a new one leaning against my desk to install for 3 years now.

Can't say it is any warmer or colder with a headliner installed. Of course I haven't had one in so long I forget if there is any difference.

I can say it is louder. Specially on the ground taxiing if you don't have not made any rear closeout panel to replace the headliner over the baggage compartment. Essentially you are sitting in a megaphone and any noise from the tail wheel bouncing around is directed right at you.

However I always wear a headset as do my passengers and any added noise in not really an issue.

And yes, inspections are a bit easier.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
bagarre

Post by bagarre »

I had a vinyl headliner in mine and pulled it out early this year to do some (a lot) of work up there.
If you close up the bulkhead behind the hat shelf and stuff rags around the fuel gauges, not much air comes in.
I like the look so much, I might not bother putting one back in.

There was more noise coming from the tail until I blocked off the bulkhead.... have ANR headsets so I dont notice the noise.
Jr.CubBuilder

Post by Jr.CubBuilder »

If any of you have a chance, please post a picture of what you did to close off the top of the bulkhead behind the hat shelf.

I've got the headliner out of mine and I want to close off the opening.
bagarre

Post by bagarre »

It's a thin piece of HomeDepot aluminum. cut to fit behind the bulkhead, painted black and I stuck a piece of sound deadening foam.
Held in place with a few pk screws and I bent the edges to keep it from drumming.
Sorry, no pics of it before going in but it really was just a flat piece trimmed to fit.
Bulkhead.jpg
Ryan Smith

Post by Ryan Smith »

Gray and deep red look good together. This is the interior of N2256D...my family's ex Cessna 170B of over 20 years. My father sold her to a man in New York, and he sold the airplane back to someone at our home field (W88) two years ago. I just found out that the current owner wants to keep the airplane a little longer than she initially lead on. :(

That said, my father put the interior in the airplane almost ten years ago, I think. He had someone locally (actually in Southern VA) do the work, and it turned out nice. The headliner is an AirTex, and although the paint job is poor on the interior parts, the airplane still looks presentable. I kind of like the interior...diamond pattern and all.
Attachments
Interior of N2256D
Interior of N2256D
JohnNielsen

Post by JohnNielsen »

I went for the simple utility look and feel. Removed all the spring supports, blasted and re-painted all frames, then made support using glued and heat shrunk wing fabric. The upholsterer http://www.SportAircraftSeats.com made all the padding and covers. His shop is in AK. He can make the covers and pads and ship them in leather or cloth.
John
Attachments
Redone front seats by www.SportAircraftSeats.com
Redone front seats by www.SportAircraftSeats.com
Rear Interior C170B
Rear Interior C170B
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Headliner.JPG
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
170C

Post by 170C »

George, how is your vintage suitcase secured? Don't want to have it put an imprint on your noggin in the event of a sudden stoppage :roll:
OLE POKEY
170C
Director:
2012-2018
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

It's in a closet somewhere. (I have actually removed my hat shelf.)
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Aryana wrote:Looks just like the ones in the original sales brochures!
Except the seat belts are metal-to-metal (per AD notes on belts.)
170C

Post by 170C »

Now George has no place to store his hat when he flies since he has no hat shelf :lol: I'll bet he doesn't have any gloves in his glove compartment in his 170 or any of his vehicles either :P Funny how the different items got their original names and how those names have remained even though they are no longer used for the original purpose :)
OLE POKEY
170C
Director:
2012-2018
blueldr

Post by blueldr »

There are a good many C-170s in Texas. All of those owners can't be big time ranchers. What do all those Texans do who are referred to as "All Hat and No Cattle"? Where do they put those big hats?
BL
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

blueldr wrote:There are a good many C-170s in Texas. All of those owners can't be big time ranchers. What do all those Texans do who are referred to as "All Hat and No Cattle"? Where do they put those big hats?
Those types are easily seen around town.... It used to be that a real cowboy (or any gentleman for that matter) would remove his hat indoors and tip it to the ladies. I have a vivid memory as a child of our neighbor, Mr. Madsen, driving his '51 Ford home from work and, turning onto our street while double-clutching, downshifting to second-gear and spinning hand-over-hand turning that no-power-steering-wheel... still finding time to lift his hat to my Mother who was waiting at the intersection.
Not anymore. Gimme caps abound and so does discourtesy. :(
edbooth

Post by edbooth »

C170U2 wrote:I have a pretty original interior in mine....seats and side panels have never been touched. The headliner was replaced at some point and is made of a really nice material. Aside from the one rip in the picture it is in good shape. I haven't seen any other headliners made with the material but I like it a lot!

Mike
That headliner appears to be an old Airtex headliner. I put one in mine back in the mid 80's and it is still in good shape.
Ed Booth, 170-B and RV-7 Driver
interstellardust

Post by interstellardust »

I'll try to post some pictures of the interior on my 1955 170B. It is the original "rust" interior with grey carpet and tan headliner. The carpet is shot and the pilot an copilot seats need to be redone. Does anypone have a stash of this fabric or know where I can get some? The airtex interiors are close but no cigar.
Pilot seat...
Attachments
Pilot Seat.jpg
Pilot Seat.jpg (16.46 KiB) Viewed 41078 times
Bill Garnett
1955 Cessna 170B N2974D
bill@interstellardust.com