Corrosion Control

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

Doug Echelberger

Corrosion Control

Post by Doug Echelberger »

I am thinking of fogging the airframe at this year's annual on our 52 B model. Have used ACF-50 in the past. It works well but leaches out for ever. Does anybody have experience with Boeshield or others?

Thanks,

Doug
Doug
N2426D
North Calif.
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Boeshield, like LPS-3, becomes a "waxy" -buildup coating that you'll live with forever. That's either good or bad depending upon whether you ever think you'll want to remove it. It adds a bit of weight (probably negligible) and it may attract dust/dirt more readily.
Rumor has it that Boeing only approved it for long-term preservation/storage of spares, not for corrosion control of flying machines. We've got a few Boeing employees at this forum, maybe they can enlighten us?
I've used ACK-50 and Corrosion-X on airplanes I've owned in the past. They both seem to work equally well. They have a disagreeable opinion of each other. ACK-50 claims Corrosion-X stole their recipie, and Corrosion-X says the reason they left ACK-50 and started their own business is because ACK-50 contains carcinogens the ACK folks don't reveal. (Presumeably, the former employees were upset to find that they'd been handling the stuff.) ACK claims they changed their forumla, but two random checks by Consumer groups found unacceptably high concentrations still.
Otherwise they're the same stuff, and work fine.
N170BP

Post by N170BP »

Guilty as charged....

From the horses _ss... er I mean mouth:

"Organic corrosion inhibitive coatings such as BMS3-23,
LPS-3 and Boeshield T-9 are generally applied between
manufacturing or assembly operations to inhibit corrosion
until a final finish is applied or on completed units for
protection during storage and delivery. In some cases,
corrosion inhibitive material is applied to complete interior
structures as a life-extending measure".

Bela P. Havasreti
'54 C-170B N170BP
djsvagabond

Post by djsvagabond »

If you are worried about corrosion, and have the A/C semi dissassembled
Check the rivets at the forward attachment point of the leading spar.
I wrote a artical on our findings published in 170 news, 2 A/C at our airport that the rivets had failed.
mrpibb

Post by mrpibb »

Another product that I found to be good is Zip Chem's Cor-Ban 35.
It falls under the bms 3-35 used on substraights (fuselage skins and sheeting) which is between Bms 3-23 used on cables, seat tracks, faying surfaces and 3-29, it dries in about a hour to a pinkish color so you know where it has been applied. We use it on our boeing fleet when we open up flooring to do repairs and inspections, our standard practices manual requires us now to apply a corrosion inhibiting compound when we do this.
I plan on using it when I clean the tail section out of grease and the such
next annual. Another reason is the price is right :wink:
Vic
Vic
N2609V
48 Ragwing
A Lanber 2097 12 gauge O/U Sporting
A happy go lucky Ruger Red label 20 ga
12N Aeroflex
Andover NJ
http://www.sandhillaviation.com

" Air is free untill you have to move it" BB.
Mike Smith

Post by Mike Smith »

Vic,

Tell me more about the stuff you mentioned. What is the price and how is it applied? I will be doing an annual in January and was considering reapplying ACF-50 again (the previous owner did it about 2 years ago), but if the item you mentioned leaches less and is ok with electric wires and such like ACF-50, I'd like to know more about it.
Mike Smith
1950 C-170A
mrpibb

Post by mrpibb »

I did a little searching and found the web site at http://www.zipchem.com/main.html. I dont know what their sales policy is.
May have to find a distributor, might see if the sell direct. usually how I get it is when there is left over cans from the job at hand. It comes in a aerosol can I think 16 oz. and we spray it on, dries tacky in less than a hour and dries in over a hour. has a pinkish color to see where it has been applied. we used to use corrosion x and Dinitrol but we stopped using them I think it was due to the unknown hazards. The cor ban 35 is easier to apply, requires minimum protective equipment (gloves,half mask resp, ect), just my opinion however like mentioned above the other products work fine it's just that the corban 35 conforms to more specs and has a wider latitude of application.
As far as coverage it's hard to tell, we usually go through about 8 to 12 cans per narrow body cargo pit which I would guess at 30 to 40 feet by 15 foot area. When I wash the tail area I'm going to give it a try, then i'll know more in detail on the aplicability of it. As far as getting it on wires and cables we spray around them but they wind up getting hit anyway, being that it also conforms to bms3-23 (for use on cables) I dont think its a factor.
Vic
N2609V
48 Ragwing
A Lanber 2097 12 gauge O/U Sporting
A happy go lucky Ruger Red label 20 ga
12N Aeroflex
Andover NJ
http://www.sandhillaviation.com

" Air is free untill you have to move it" BB.
cpolsley

Corrosion

Post by cpolsley »

I gunked my airplane with LPS 3 about 10 years ago and have been very happy with it. I wish it had been done 40 years ago. As far as the attracting dirt discussion goes, I have not found that to be a problem. The only thing I would have done different is to have heated it and applied it hot to allow it to better soak into the seams. I would encourage anyone to put any of the corrosion inhibiters inside all the internal areas they can get it into. The LPS 3 was the cheepest and I would use it again and probably will within the next couple years. There is no doubt in my mind it cut down on the corrosion grouth in my airplane. So you get your clothes a little grimmy when you stick them inside the wings, thats certainly better than the alternative. After 10 years that film is still inside protecting against corrosion.
rudymantel

Post by rudymantel »

Every annual I thoroughly spray the interior with Corrosion-X. When the inspection panels are open and the wing tips off is a good time to do this.
The stuff seeps out for weeks- that's a good sign that it's working. I'd rather have a messy looking corrosion-free airplane than a corroded beauty any time !
Rudy