Name change for the Eternal Project

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

c170b53

Re: Name change for the Eternal Project

Post by c170b53 »

Wow, that's beautiful work.
I met Del when he was sizing up Miles's aircraft in St Louis. After hearing about 30 secs of conversation between Miles and him, I realized this is someone who's knowledge far exceeds so many in GA. Paul you couldn't have done better anywhere.
Jim McIntosh..
1953 C170B S/N 25656
02 K1200RS
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

c170b53 wrote:Wow, that's beautiful work.
I met Del when he was sizing up Miles's aircraft in St Louis. After hearing about 30 secs of conversation between Miles and him, I realized this is someone who's knowledge far exceeds so many in GA. Paul you couldn't have done better anywhere.
Del's words are such an understatement of his ability and workmanship that 30 seconds from him is about all anyone would need to relax about concerns. (It's a shame he can read these comments, but his head is probably the only one in the industry that wouldn't grow oversized with this sort of praise.)
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
c170b53

Post by c170b53 »

Sorry George, you know me, always stating the obvious :D
Jim McIntosh..
1953 C170B S/N 25656
02 K1200RS
wingnut

Post by wingnut »

Thank y'all for the compliments. I appreciate them. I want everybody to know, I don't do this alone. I am just one among many.
I had good intentions of posting a good detailed update to the progress on Paul's plane, but I've been busy with other things. Like today, I mowed the yard (the hangar yard) and sprayed some roundup. That's some good stuff, just don't accidentally sprinkle any in your beer.
Thanks guys!
Del Lehmann
Mena, Arkansas
wingnut

Post by wingnut »

Here are a couple pics from Friday. The top side is done. We will finish the lower surface tomorrow. I told Paul that Brett and Wayne save the easy stuff for themselves. I'm the small guy, so I get stuck with task that require duct tape and Vaseline :lol: I'm already home and my Internet is really slow out here so this is all for now.
That's Brett listening to Wayne give orders
That's Brett listening to Wayne give orders
Wayne. If you can't keep up, your fired!
Wayne. If you can't keep up, your fired!
The dull areas along the rivet rows are that way on purpose. We use Scotchbrite along the rivet rows before we even place the skins on the wing. It helps the painters (and us) to stay away from the rivet heads when prepping for paint. When we build a plane the last thing I want to see ( don't want to see) is newly installed rivets that have been sanded off. I like to be able to identify the type rivet AFTER paint. It doesn't always work, but we try.
Del Lehmann
Mena, Arkansas
wingnut

Post by wingnut »

Paul saw how mirror like the new skins are, and almost opted for polish. Oops, to late Ethel. When we do a re-skin on something that will be polished, we order our material from another vendor that supplies it with a protective coating which stays on the aluminum sheet until we actually start shooting rivets. Then we peel it off a little at a time as we shoot. And of course we don't scuff the rivet rows as we do on a product that will be going to paint.
Brett and Wayne starting left wing
Brett and Wayne starting left wing
The right wing is finished. We would have finished the left wing tomorrow, but the parts guy had his hat on backwards and let Wayne run out of .020" :oops: So the date will get pushed to Thursday. Friday we plan to take all surfaces, everything except fuselage, to Darrell Mos so he can start prep and paint.
Del Lehmann
Mena, Arkansas
counsellj

Post by counsellj »

Del, Is your hat still on backwards?

Another happy customer,
Jughead
wingnut

Post by wingnut »

counsellj wrote:Del, Is your hat still on backwards?

Another happy customer,
Jughead
I wear many hats, and clock them differenty on my noggin several times a day. So, I can't answer your question with any degree of certainty :lol: :wink: Thanks John
Del Lehmann
Mena, Arkansas
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Hey Paul! A rich guy like you could always ask Del to drill off those new skins on that ETERNAL PROJECT AND START OVER! :lol:
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
4583C

Post by 4583C »

Actually, Del didn't quite catch the sarcasm in my email. I am far too lazy to be a polish hound, besides I don't want to be buying WD40 by the gallon :lol:
My biggest concern is how much all that green primer is going to slow the old girl down! I tried to tell Del we needed to use the faster red primer ! Maybe there will be enough red on the outside to compensate for being green on the inside. :roll:
wingnut

Post by wingnut »

Paul, don't compel me to disclose our secret. There are some pictures that haven't been posted. I thought you wanted to keep it a secret until after you smoked George at Reno 8)
Del Lehmann
Mena, Arkansas
wingnut

Post by wingnut »

A day later than planned, but ready to go to paint shop now
image.jpg
Del Lehmann
Mena, Arkansas
johneeb

Post by johneeb »

Del, is that a low wing tail-dragger in the background of your latest picture (wing looks great)?

I see you are again dispensing some Arkansas wisdom in red "DO NOT DOUBLE STACK". :D
John E. Barrett
aka. Johneb

Sent from my "Cray Super Computer"
wingnut

Post by wingnut »

It is a low wing tail dragger, ag plane. I just realized what a poor photo that was. There is actually a Clipper parked right in the bright light, to the left of the high wing jack. You can barely make out the "shadow" of the wings. Wow, that's a bad lighting angle.
Del Lehmann
Mena, Arkansas
cessna170bdriver

Post by cessna170bdriver »

Is that RED rib one of Paul's originals?
Miles

“I envy no man that knows more than myself, but pity them that know less.”
— Thomas Browne