Name change for the Eternal Project

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

wingnut

Re: Name change for the Eternal Project

Post by wingnut »

The entire skeleton structure, internal surfaces of skins, and skin laps will all be primed. Right now we are doing exploratory surgery, spot cleaning and priming mating surfaces in critical areas.
In process OB view
In process OB view
In process root rib view
In process root rib view
In process bottom looking outboard
In process bottom looking outboard
Fwd attach fitting area
Fwd attach fitting area
Del Lehmann
Mena, Arkansas
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Save that wing skin with the shadow of his original registration number for him....he'll want it as a "wall hanger" art-project. :wink:
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
wingnut

Post by wingnut »

We are saving the skins for Paul. I'm trying to think of ways to make attractive hangar decor from this stuff
Del Lehmann
Mena, Arkansas
cessna170bdriver

Post by cessna170bdriver »

Are there two buckled ribs in this photo, or is that an illusion?

Miles

“I envy no man that knows more than myself, but pity them that know less.”
— Thomas Browne
wingnut

Post by wingnut »

I wondered who would notice. Yes they are buckled
Del Lehmann
Mena, Arkansas
cessna170bdriver

600+ hours working on a set of these gave me great appreciation for wing structures...

Miles

— Thomas Browne
wingnut

Post by wingnut »

Yes it does Miles, and attention to detail :D
These wings had been sprayed with LPS3 or something similar. Whatever it was protected the surfaces very well, however it did not weep between the mating surfaces. There was corrosion between mating surfaces. Most of it is very minor. Very few parts will be replaced. We could probably clean up and save most of the skins, but the cost of sheet aluminum and labor to duplicate a skin is very little extra $$
Del Lehmann
Mena, Arkansas
cessna170bdriver

wingnut wrote:...These wings had been sprayed with LPS3 or something similar. Whatever it was protected the surfaces very well, however it did not weep between the mating surfaces. ...
I had my 170 treated with ACF 50 when I first moved to the Mississippi Gulf Coast. The stuff ran out from between the skins for years. I was only there for 6 years, hopefully the ACF 50 penetrated the faying surfaces....
wingnut wrote:...There was corrosion between mating surfaces. Most of it is very minor. Very few parts will be replaced. We could probably clean up and save most of the skins, but the cost of sheet aluminum and labor to duplicate a skin is very little extra $$
Exactly what I would have done if I had them down that far. Will you use the old skins as a template to predrill the new ones?
Miles

— Thomas Browne
wingnut

Post by wingnut »

Yes Miles, we will use the old skins as templates. These wings had a small symmetry issue but the washout was near perfect. Sometimes when we get wings that have been repaired before, we can't use the old skins for templates. In that situation we have the skeleton in the jig and back drill everything.
Del Lehmann
Mena, Arkansas
4583C

Post by 4583C »

Ok, boys and girls I knew there was a graphic somewhere of the abomination done long ago,to 83c's tail. I am in Mena and found an old 337' in the paperwork I sent with Del. While Ryan's pic is ugly, I think this one takes the prize for ugliest wart on a 170.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

OMG! WHOSE...signature is on that abomination!?

Ya gotta wonder why they didn't simply put it on the top of the fuselage or on the belly!

But...
Ryan Smith wrote:Someone did that to my family's airplane. I hate the beacon up there.

One of my many "firsts" to do to it is to yank it off and put a beacon on the belly.

Ryan... why don't you just get rid of it and install piggyback strobes on the wingtip nav lights and be done with it?
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
4583C

Post by 4583C »

[quote="gahorn"]OMG! WHOSE...signature is on that abomination!?

It was signed by a Harold White from deep in SE Texas who rebuilt it after a ground loop in the late 60's. Hence the 17HW it wore for years. I never really gave any thought to getting the original number back till we got the third coat of paint off and there were the original numbers.

Ya gotta wonder why they didn't simply put it on the top of the fuselage or on the belly!

Thats what the last owner before me did. Mounted the same little strobe on an inspection plate on the belly.Not near as ugly, and a lot less work.
wingnut

Post by wingnut »

Going in
Going in
Aahhhh made it
Aahhhh made it

Sorry I haven't been posting lately. Progress is good. I hope this weekend I can sit down and resize my photos and post more.
Del Lehmann
Mena, Arkansas
wingnut

Post by wingnut »

Left wing skeleton in primer
Left wing skeleton in primer
Right wing skeleton in primer
Right wing skeleton in primer
Should have posted these first, before the previous post. These were taken during after clean up and primer. In process. Just getting ready to start installing new skins. Some piece parts haven't been primered yet. The camera flash and shadows plays tricks with the color
Del Lehmann
Mena, Arkansas
wingnut

Post by wingnut »

Right wing going back together
Right wing going back together
Right wing leading edge skins installed, top skins clecoed in place ready to shoot. Wings should go together pretty fast now Paul :D
Del Lehmann
Mena, Arkansas