Name change for the Eternal Project

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

wingnut

Re: Name change for the Eternal Project

Post by wingnut »

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
Del Lehmann
Mena, Arkansas
4583C

Post by 4583C »

hilltop170 wrote:Paul-
After all this time it's really great to finally see the 170 in Mena actually getting ready to fly! Congratulations!

Hey Del-
Is that "hatchback" in the fuselage a new extended baggage access door? Not a bad idea!
Actually I was hoping to put a gunners seat in the hole … put Andy on the scales and quickly scratched that idea! :lol:
hilltop170

Post by hilltop170 »

4583C wrote:
hilltop170 wrote:Paul-
After all this time it's really great to finally see the 170 in Mena actually getting ready to fly! Congratulations!

Hey Del-
Is that "hatchback" in the fuselage a new extended baggage access door? Not a bad idea!
Actually I was hoping to put a gunners seat in the hole … put Andy on the scales and quickly scratched that idea! :lol:

Too bad, that would have been a great hog hunting rig!
Richard Pulley
2014-2016 TIC170A Past President
1951 170A, N1715D, s/n 20158, O-300D
Owned from 1973 to 1984.
Bought again in 2006 after 22 years.
It's not for sale!
wingnut

Post by wingnut »

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
Cabin top and carry-thru's are done, except for installing the fittings. Wings up next
Del Lehmann
Mena, Arkansas
wingnut

Post by wingnut »

Paul has ask me to post these pictures, so to give the story behind the reason for these 2 skin replacements, right and left upper vertical stab skins.
I taped the old skin to the vertical, below the newly installed skin for reference
I taped the old skin to the vertical, below the newly installed skin for reference
This is just a close-up pic of the exterior view of the old skin with all the PK screws plugging holes
This is just a close-up pic of the exterior view of the old skin with all the PK screws plugging holes
Paul can explain, but what we found was a gang of holes that had been "plugged" with PK screws thru the skin only, no nut plates or tinnermans
Paul can explain, but what we found was a gang of holes that had been "plugged" with PK screws thru the skin only, no nut plates or tinnermans
Last edited by wingnut on Fri Aug 29, 2014 12:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Del Lehmann
Mena, Arkansas
4583C

Post by 4583C »

Some time long before I owned the plane there was a rotating beacon mounted on a fabricated mount which stuck up in front of the rudder. I tried to find the drawing that was done for the 337 but gave up after an hour or so. I have never seen a photograph of this particular desecration of that lovely round tail, but the drawing was enough to convince me that it was at least the second ugliest mod ever done to a 170. Wasn't there a federal mandate in the sixties or seventies that all aircraft had to have a rotating beacon?
Ryan Smith

Post by Ryan Smith »

Someone did that to my family's airplane. I hate the beacon up there.

One of my many "firsts" to do to it is to yank it off and put a beacon on the belly.
Attachments
21910053_edited-1.jpg
170C

Post by 170C »

Del, those were likely "lightening holes" :lol:

Let's see Paul, wasn't there some minor damage to your elevator and/or horizontal stab :?: I once heard a story about that, but my memory could become very poor if the $ was right :roll: :roll: I'll bet you won't recognize your plane when Del gets finished with it :D We will have to start thinking about getting the rust off the pilot by the time its ready to be flown. Shouldn't be a hill for a stepper like you Paul :) I have heard its like riding a bicycle, you learned once upon a time so all you have to do is get on and start peddling :mrgreen: I know someone else that needs the rust removed as well :(
OLE POKEY
170C
Director:
2012-2018
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

If anyone needs assurance as to where and who to send your 170 to for repair or restoration in the central U.S.,... these pics should prove the point, as should anyone who views Richard Pulley's A-model, or the landing light and bag mods done to my B.

Del is the go-to guy for this sort of work not only for the workmanship-skills of his shop, but also for the ideas and recommendations for restorative and modification tasks and the friendly, business-like integrity of his approach to aircraft work. From the moment you meet him until you stand admiringly in front of the finished product, you will find a reassuring countenance in the entire experience.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
4583C

Post by 4583C »

Debra and I came to Mena yesterday to check on the project. We are camping less than a mile from Del's shop. He has been sending reports and pictures every few days and I knew they had found some corrosion in some of the lap joints in the wings but was a little shocked when I stepped out of the office and saw this. Del is further down the technology highway than I am and will have to post more pics. It took me half an hour to get one!
Attachments
image.jpg
C170U2

Post by C170U2 »

Looking great!! Keep the pictures coming!! You planning on painting or polishing it?
4583C

Post by 4583C »

C170U2 wrote:Looking great!! Keep the pictures coming!! You planning on painting or polishing it?
It will be painted in the original scheme. I'm far too lazy for polish :lol: and with the exception of the new skins it's just to rough to polish. I met with Darrell Mos today and made a deal for the paint job. He is the guy who painted Richard Pulley's A model and he does great work as you can see in the pic below.
Attachments
image.jpg
wingnut

Post by wingnut »

Aft spar WS 100, after
Aft spar WS 100, after
Aft spar WS 100, before
Aft spar WS 100, before
Aft spar fitting area, after
Aft spar fitting area, after
Aft spar fitting area, before
Aft spar fitting area, before
I'm going to try posting some before/after pictures. Some or all of the "before" pictures may be sideways. I can't remember if they were taken before or after I learned I had to hold the phone sideways.
These are pictures of the reason(s) we decided to completely undress the wings.
Del Lehmann
Mena, Arkansas
wingnut

Post by wingnut »

IB LE skin, before
IB LE skin, before
Lower box section skin
Lower box section skin
Lower box section skin being cleaned
Lower box section skin being cleaned
We will not reuse any skins, just cleaning them for handling. All new skins