Name change for the Eternal Project

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

bagarre

Re: Name change for the Eternal Project

Post by bagarre »

Aryana wrote:The bottom edge should be level to the ground when it's in the 3 pt position. When you're in the air, they tilt forward to the relative airstream with the bottom hole facing slightly aft.

Interesting, that is the opposite of what I've always been told. Mine (and the others Ive seen) have the bottom edge level in flight.
C170U2

Post by C170U2 »

I'm with David....mine are level in flight(on my 120).
C170U2

Post by C170U2 »

You calling my sweet 120 ugly??? :twisted: How dare you sir!! Just kidding of course.
Attachments
DSCN2030.JPG
jrenwick

Post by jrenwick »

The stock wheel pant mounting plates I owned aligned the wheel pants parallel to the ground. I don't know how it could be any other way, unless someone manufactured custom mounting plates to tilt them upward.
John Renwick
Minneapolis, MN
Former owner, '55 C-170B, N4401B
'42 J-3 Cub, N62088
'50 Swift GC-1B, N2431B, Oshkosh 2009 Outstanding Swift Award, 2016 Best Continuously Maintained Swift
C170U2

Post by C170U2 »

Haha, don't worry she's not much of a lady. She hasn't worn pants or skirts for years!!

Back to the project.....she's looking great and I can't wait to hear of her being back in the air!!
Ryan Smith

Post by Ryan Smith »

Aryana wrote:
gahorn wrote:I'd suggest you paint it same as lower cowl. I think otherwise it'll stand out. (I'm just trying to imagine it in a different color than the base color, whatever you choose that to be.)
146ys1.jpg
624787 (2).jpg
Paint the lip. I have an original, mint 1953 sales brochure with nice color photos of that scheme and it shows the lip painted (and wheel streamlines that are level to the ground! :twisted: )
scan0027.jpg
JESUS DUDE! I thought I was hot stuff with my 1951 and 1952 brochures. I apparently have a long way to go.

If you ever felt like having another younger brother, I will gladly avail myself to the cause. :wink:
sfarringer

Post by sfarringer »

bagarre wrote:
Aryana wrote:The bottom edge should be level to the ground when it's in the 3 pt position. When you're in the air, they tilt forward to the relative airstream with the bottom hole facing slightly aft.

Interesting, that is the opposite of what I've always been told. Mine (and the others Ive seen) have the bottom edge level in flight.
Interesting, that is different from what you said in 2014.....
" Hi Shooter,

Wheel pants should be square to the ground while the plane is on the ground (3 point).
They shouldn't be level in flight.
I've seen some that are level in flight but I think some people have either re-drilled or made their own brackets.

-David "
Last edited by sfarringer on Fri Feb 06, 2015 2:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ragwing S/N 18073
hilltop170

Post by hilltop170 »

My 170 came from the factory with the wheel pants that are on it now. They angle up slightly on the ground but that is on C-180 gear which is wheels-forward from the original symmetrical gear. I think the wheel pants would be more level to the ground with the original gear. If the factory did not change the backing plate design when they went to lady legs, that could be the difference.

I have looked at several examples that came from the factory with pants and all of them are neither level with the ground or airplane but somewhere in-between, slightly angled up to the front.
Original factory installed wheel pants on C-180 gear
Original factory installed wheel pants on C-180 gear
Last edited by hilltop170 on Sat Feb 07, 2015 3:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Richard Pulley
2014-2016 TIC170A Past President
1951 170A, N1715D, s/n 20158, O-300D
Owned from 1973 to 1984.
Bought again in 2006 after 22 years.
It's not for sale!
bagarre

Post by bagarre »

sfarringer wrote:
bagarre wrote:

Interesting, that is different from what you said in 2014.....
" Hi Shooter,

Wheel pants should be square to the ground while the plane is on the ground (3 point).
They shouldn't be level in flight.
I've seen some that are level in flight but I think some people have either re-drilled or made their own brackets.

-David "
http://www.cessna170.org/forums/viewtop ... er#p107381

Damn,

That's my post?

They say the memory is the first to go.

After looking at some photos, mine are actually in between the two. Not level in 3 point and slightly forward in level flight.
4583C

Post by 4583C »

image.jpg
image.jpg
Okay, now that we have established that David is as senile as the rest of us let's get back to the discussion of lipstick :lol: :lol:
When Darrell sent me a pic with tape on the cooling lip I was like WTH, where did that come from? He told me to look at the paint layout drawing I had sent the night before. Found here. http://cessna170.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=9096
When you expand the drawing enough it indicates the lip is not painted. Also the B&W pic in this thread doesn't appear to have lipstick . http://cessna170.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=9365. I'm not convinced which is historically correct but my plane will have the lip painted with the trim color as it has a big fat lip and I do think it will stick out like the proverbial sore thumb if left in the base color. That last pic is from one of the brochures Arash posted this morning. To add to the confusion I just noticed that the bars in the cowl opening of the photos are unpainted!! Mine like most will never be totally original anyway. The baggage door took care of that :D. I guess should have cropped the wheel panties out of those two pic,huh :roll:
Attachments
image.jpg
robw56

Post by robw56 »

Your project is looking great! I repainted my 53 170 last year with the same original paint scheme, well almost original. I also painted the leading edge of the wing. Also, I agree the lip on the cowling should be painted.

https://www.backcountrypilot.org/images ... 05f705.jpg
bagarre

Post by bagarre »

I agree the lip should be painted as it looks so much better.

Yeah, leave the lip unpainted.
what day is it?
170C

Post by 170C »

As a casual observer, it would seem you would want your wheel pants to be horizontal to the ground if only because that is where your plane will be seen more than in the air. Of course if aligned otherwise improved performance then maybe they should be lined up with the angle the plane is in the air. It most likely depends upon what you, the owner, prefer.
OLE POKEY
170C
Director:
2012-2018
4583C

Post by 4583C »

robw56 wrote:Your project is looking great! I repainted my 53 170 last year with the same original paint scheme, well almost original. I also painted the leading edge of the wing. Also, I agree the lip on the cowling should be painted.

Looks good! I like the painted leading edge, but left it off as capitulation to the spirit of originality :lol: :lol:
robw56

Post by robw56 »

4583C wrote:
robw56 wrote:Your project is looking great! I repainted my 53 170 last year with the same original paint scheme, well almost original. I also painted the leading edge of the wing. Also, I agree the lip on the cowling should be painted.

Looks good! I like the painted leading edge, but left it off as capitulation to the spirit of originality :lol: :lol:
The only reason I painted my leading edge is because I have a sportsman stol kit that has fiberglass pieces at the wing root. I didn't want to try to paint them to match the bare aluminum. Its not original but my plane is far from original anyways. I like the way it turned out.