Portable Stretcher Installation Observations

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

Bruce Fenstermacher

Portable Stretcher Installation Observations

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

Recently there was a discussion of a 1/2 rear seat. In this case the discussion centered around cutting a full seat in half or nearly in half just to the outside of the center leg. We mentioned the half seat used when the auxiliary portable stretcher was installed. We also wondered how Cessna handled the seat back adjustment as that is on the outside on the wall in early models and attached to the shelf on 55 and later. (see: http://www.cessna170.org/forums/viewtop ... 24&t=10856 )

So I was browsing the IPC and took a close look at it and discovered (perhaps for a second time) a few details. First the rear seat is not a true 1/2 seat. Only the seat back is cut in half. The seat bottom is the full length. Second the seat back adjustment rod or brackets are not used and there is no adjustment of the seat back angle. Instead in it's place is a bar that is pinned on each end that spans the fuselage and the seat back rest in it on pins.And third the front seat is not removed for this installation.
Screen Shot 2013-10-10 at 8.50.11 PM.png
The last thing that struck me is the extended baggage. Yes that is right Cessna had an extended baggage compartment even in the A model and it's been right there in front of us all along.
Screen Shot 2013-10-10 at 8.50.31 PM.png
Screen Shot 2013-10-10 at 8.50.31 PM.png (44.71 KiB) Viewed 16490 times
From the TCDS:
  • 602. Gran portable stretcher installation
    (a) Provision for stretcher, Cessna dwg. 0511003 elig. elig. elig.
    (b) Gran portable stretcher (stored location) 17 lb. (+95) (+95) (+95)
    Note: The stretcher is adjustable for use at two lengths of approximately 72
    and 64 inches. The co-pilot's seat may not be occupied with the
    stretcher extended to 72 inches, the co-pilot's seat back serving as the
    stretcher's forward support. However, with the stretcher shortened to 64
    inches the co-pilot's seat may be occupied, if so desired. The last
    sentence of the normal category placard specified in NOTE 2 is not
    applicable with this item installed. Instead, the maximum ** allowable
    baggage is limited for each aircraft as determined by weight and balance
    check for the most rearward C.G. limit with the stretcher occupied at
    (+73) and with the co-pilot's seat unoccupied. The following placard
    must be installed in the baggage compartment:
    "Maximum baggage ** lb. with stretcher installed."
Would be really great to see Cessna print 0511003 for the stretcher kit and the baggage placard part 0511171.

BTW, I've always had an interest in the portable stretcher installation as my 170 was suppose to have had it installed according to the original equipment list and of course my current profession as a Emergency Medical Services helicopter pilot. Anyone else ever seen any parts of this kit or evidence of it in their 170?
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
GAHorn

Re: Portable Stretcher Installation Observations

Post by GAHorn »

I wonder how the forward position of that right seat-back might interfere with right-side yoke-travel. (and if the stretcher req'd removal of the right yoke, if present.)
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
Bruce Fenstermacher

Looking for evidence of the stretcher installation in my 170. Specifically I was looking for the holes that would have to be in each side to hold the bar that holds the back seat. Hard to tell from the IPC where exactly this pin at the end of the bar (#3) would go.
Screen Shot 2013-10-15 at 6.45.39 PM.png
Screen Shot 2013-10-15 at 6.45.39 PM.png (18.01 KiB) Viewed 16346 times
But on my aircraft I found this hole (at the end of the red arrow) in the bracket attached to the fuselage side which is used to adjust the normal seat back on 54 and earlier aircraft.
IMG_0327x.jpg
So I'd appreciate if we take a pole. How many 170s have this hole in the bracket? All of them? Or maybe only those that had the stretcher option installed. Can't wait to get this response.

Bruce Fenstermacher

I've also had some private correspondence with someone who will remain nameless (I assume they don't want to be identified) who has seen the Stretcher Kit drawings. They gave some interesting details. The extended baggage area is nothing more that a canvas bag. There is no floor other than the fuselage skin but it is coated with "rubber hair".

The front passenger seat back forward stop is also ground off so the passenger seat back can fold down flatter on the seat. So if one of your seats folds down farther than the other perhaps that seat was used with a stretcher. (I forgot to check mine today :x )

Also the right door had removable pins with loops at the top because the door had to be removed to facilitate loading and unloading the stretcher.

Here is another interesting thing I noticed comparing the IPCs for the A and B model.
The A IPC shows the extended baggage but the stretcher does not enter it.
Screen Shot 2013-10-15 at 6.46.50 PM.png
Screen Shot 2013-10-15 at 6.46.50 PM.png (56.37 KiB) Viewed 16346 times
But in the B the stretcher, well stretchs into the extended area. Must have been for taller patients as people grew taller after '52. :lol:
Screen Shot 2013-10-15 at 6.46.10 PM.png
Screen Shot 2013-10-15 at 6.46.10 PM.png (53.72 KiB) Viewed 16346 times

Bruce Fenstermacher

Could just be a coincidence, but my passenger seat folds forward farther than the pilot seat as the kit instructions detail.
IMG_0328.jpg

N419A

Post by N419A »

My 53 does not have a hole in the seat bracket and the the front seats fold forward to the same angle. No evidence of stretcher mod in mine.

Paul
53' 170B
180+HP IO360M1B (StootS conversion), 80" Hartzell, Sportsman Cuff, Super Drooper tips, V-Brace, Selkirk X baggage, AK Bushwheels all around.
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Front seats are required to fold forward for rear pax exit in emergencies....but not fully forward so as to protect front seat occupants in the event of a crash. The stretcher installation requires the right seat to fold forward to accomodate the stretcher, but I have not found any difference in seat part numbers which provide for that.
I notice the right front seat belt secures the stretcher from movement, while the right rear seat belt secures the patient.

My own front seats BOTH are restricted in forward movement to about a 45-degree angle.

BEWARE: Should you need to change seats between aircraft, note the different part numbers associated with particular airframe serial numbers found in the IPC. This is especially true of the last sn's from 26949 and on, until the intro of the C-172, as complete assy's must be used. (Backs/seats no longer interchange.)

Also, BEWARE: Installing later model Cessna seats can introduce Airworthiness Directives which may not be well-tracked by the unknowing. Many later, articulating type seats can be installed, but which have A.D.'s against them. Those seats, when installed in C-170 aircraft (all models) may no longer be noticed by maintenance-inspectors due to their pedigree being unknown.
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
Bruce Fenstermacher

gahorn wrote:Front seats are required to fold forward for rear pax exit in emergencies....but not fully forward so as to protect front seat occupants in the event of a crash. The stretcher installation requires the right seat to fold forward to accommodate the stretcher, but I have not found any difference in seat part numbers which provide for that.
I notice the right front seat belt secures the stretcher from movement, while the right rear seat belt secures the patient.

BEWARE: Should you need to change seats between aircraft, note the different part numbers associated with particular airframe serial numbers found in the IPC. This is especially true of the last sn's from 26949 and on, until the intro of the C-172, as complete assy's must be used. (Backs/seats no longer interchange.)
I have recently been given the Portable Stretcher Accessory Kit instructions for B models from '52 through '55 which are two different instructions because of the differences. I have yet to post these to our library. We are still looking for the instructions for the '48 and A model but they are probably the same as the early B model.

The instructions have some tid bits of info. First instructions for drilling the hole in the set back adjustment bracket that I pictured earlier is there. Instructions for how to modify the passenger front seat back stop are found there George. This instruction also points out two different style of seat frames and how each is modified.

It talks about two different length stretchers and how they are used. There are a few other drawings different than the IPC which show the aircraft seat belts being used differently to hold the stretcher in. It is apparent to me that the aircraft seat belts both front and back are only used to hold the stretcher, not the patient. The stretcher should also have belts to hold the patient to it which are necessary to transport the patient when not in the aircraft.

hilltop170

Post by hilltop170 »

I have a Cessna Service Kit stretcher for the C-180. It is similar to the later C-170 kit but 180 degrees out. The front passenger seat is removed and the stretcher has feet that fit on the seat tracks where the front seat was. The patient's feet go under the instrument panel and their head is basically in the back seat. The rudder pedals are left in place and it does not interfere with the controls. It should fit in a C-170 exactly the same.

A nurse or other care giver can sit in the back seat as well and be close to the patient's head. I have only used it once while flying a CAP mission to transport a burn victim from a remote location to the hospital and it functioned very well. The guy I bought the plane from used to haul corpses at night, not me!
Richard Pulley
2014-2016 TIC170A Past President
1951 170A, N1715D, s/n 20158, O-300D
Owned from 1973 to 1984.
Bought again in 2006 after 22 years.
It's not for sale!
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Well, Bruce.... as an EMS-pilot...sounds like you're gonna have to find a stretcher-kit to go with those Goodyear brakes! :P
Bruce Fenstermacher

gahorn wrote:Well, Bruce.... as an EMS-pilot...sounds like you're gonna have to find a stretcher-kit to go with those Goodyear brakes! :P
The wheels in my head are already turning what and how I can reproduce the kit. Wouldn't be lucky enough to find one.

GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

I can see it now...Theresa will recline and enjoy the flight as she reads her favorite book on the way to next convention! :P
n2582d

Post by n2582d »

I've downloaded AK70B52-6 and AK7053-13 to the Maintenance Library.
Gary
Kyle Wolfe

Post by Kyle Wolfe »

Bruce - you just have to have this!

http://m.ebay.com/itm?itemId=141122092301
Kyle
54 B N1932C
57 BMW Isetta
Best original 170B - Dearborn, MI 2005
hilltop170

Post by hilltop170 »

Yep, that's just like the one I have with my C-180, same color and everything. The feet go forward so the front seat is removed and the head is in the standard bench back seat.
Richard Pulley
2014-2016 TIC170A Past President
1951 170A, N1715D, s/n 20158, O-300D
Owned from 1973 to 1984.
Bought again in 2006 after 22 years.
It's not for sale!