Finally got my 170 home

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

juredd1

Finally got my 170 home

Post by juredd1 »

Well I figured I bugged you all enough with my problems during the search and loan phase of my plane quest that I would share the joy of my purchase and the subsequent training/trip home phase.

I left Arkansas with my Uncle and flew out to Idaho on Wednesday evening of last week to get a look at the plane I hoped would be mine. The seller was kind enough to allow us to stay with him during this trip so we arrived around midnight and I got a quick peak and hit the sack. Got up early Thursday morning to get the process rolling as I had only 6 days at most to get a decision made, money transferred, 10 minimum hours of required tail-wheel training to meet my insurance requirements and fly her back home.

Made the decision by around noon to move forward and by 2:30 or so the transfer of funds was complete. Contacted the CFI that was waiting for the news and he flew in that evening and I received my first official hour of tail-wheel time. I was able to squeeze out another hour Friday morning and 1.4 hours Friday evening. I was stressing a bit as I was needing another 6.6 hours in less than 2 days to be able to get back home without risking a divorce, ya see my wife was at home with our two kids that are under 4. Plus that thing that pays the bills was expecting me back by Tuesday morning. Saturday morning rolled around and I had to wait for the CFI to fit more customers in that morning and then it was my turn. After about 3.5 hours I was exhausted for the day. An early start was planned for Sunday morning. Plane was fueled and ready to roll by 7:30am and away we went. We were back by 12:30 or so and I was up to 10.4 hours and my tail-wheel endorsement was in the books shortly thereafter. I have fears early on in my search that echoed through my head can I really do this tail dragger thing? Well believe it or not I had done it; well at least I had received the approval of a 5000+ hour tail dragger instructor. Maybe that is not very much time but it seems like a lot of time to me.

By 2:30 we were packed and shortly thereafter I had made my first take off without my instructor. Even though I was accompanied by my Uncle that has flow tail-wheel planes for the better part of 48 years it was still a relief to do it without my CFI’s watchful eye.

Poor planning our my part (time change as you go East) and needing a bathroom break after 3 hours we had to call it quits for the evening in Butte, MT. An early morning start headed us further SE toward South Big Horn Co., WY for the next fuel stop. Setting in this plane for use was like getting on a horse when you’re not used to riding. 3 hours was about all this old boy could handle after 4 knee surgeries that knee wanted some room to roam.

Some weather was moving in from the SW so we headed out and just did out run the storm as we crossed over the 8200 foot mountains to the SE as that would be the last of the big ones and on to the flatter country. We ended up in Alliance, NE for the next top, grabbed the loaner, headed into town for a quick lunch as the Larry filled her up. With 15 to 20 mph head winds for most of Monday I realized it was not in the cards for me to make it home on time and with not many options ahead of use on our planned route we killed way to long in Alliance trying to figure out where was the next stop that we could get access to a loaner so we could get a motel. With some guidance from Larry we headed for Concordia, KS, with not really enough time to get there before dark (My Uncle was a bit nervous about me landing in the dark) we were looking for alternates. But thank the good LORD about 2 hours into this leg our head wind gave it up and we landed about 20 minutes after sunset with some light to spare. Pretty nice place, you can actually taxi to within a few hundred feet of a Holiday Inn Express.

I gave the wife the bad new and notified my job that I wouldn't be in until Wednesday. We got a good night’s rest and head out Tuesday morning with round 300nm to go. Today would be our day, smooth air and a 15-20 mph tail wind. We were home and on the ground before noon and I had two excited kids waiting to hop in that airplane wanting to take a ride (I did not by the way....that will come in time). The wife was not nearly as excited but hey she at least brought the kids over to see it.

My instructor was awesome and he took me to some beautiful places in NW Idaho and East WA. Some real world training on some dirt/grass strips, Cavanaugh Bay, Priest Lake, Porthill (A bit nervous there), and my favorite was Sullivan Lake.. I am 100% sure there are some tougher ones, that was not a brag on me, just saying he didn't make it easy for me. He made sure I got some asphalt experience as well.

So after all that I am excited to be a 170 owner. I am thinking that someone on this forum has owned this plane in the past as there are a couple 170 association stickers on the virtual fin. Her number is 2836C.

Hope I didn't bore ya with the experience. It was just awesome for me and I believe my Uncle enjoyed it as well. At least we got to spend some good quality time together. If it had not been for the friendly folks that sold me the plane that allowed us to stay in their home while I received my training my expense would have been a tad bit bigger.

Justin
Bill Hart

Re: Finally got my 170 home

Post by Bill Hart »

Well DANG after all that no photos! :lol: Just kidding, congratulations on the new airplane. Now post some pictures soon! :lol:
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

A big congratulations Justin.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
bigrenna

delete

Post by bigrenna »

delete
Last edited by bigrenna on Mon Jun 29, 2015 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hawkeyenfo

Post by Hawkeyenfo »

Congrats! You're gonna have a blast :-)
Fly Navy !!!!

1941 Boeing PT-13D Stearman
1952 Cessna 170B
1960 Piper Aztec (PA23-250)
Kyle Wolfe

Post by Kyle Wolfe »

Justin, Congrats! Good story. And yes, pictures would be good too - especially when you do get your kids up for that first ride.

Sounds like a 170 news story in the makin'!
Kyle
54 B N1932C
57 BMW Isetta
Best original 170B - Dearborn, MI 2005
cessna170bdriver

Post by cessna170bdriver »

Congratulations Justin! That was quite an undertaking, considering you had to make the decision to buy the airplane THEN get your tailwheel endorsement. Now just try to keep current, and don't hesitate to find a local tailwheel instructor to help keep you sharp. You've only just begun.:wink:

On the longer legs I too have a knee that doesn't like to stay in one position for long periods. I find it very helpful to, once established in cruise, to let the seat back a notch or two to let me straighten out my leg a bit. I can get all the rudder I need in cruise with just my tip toes. Just don't forget to readjust before landing.

Hope to meet you and your family in St. Louis next summer!
Miles

“I envy no man that knows more than myself, but pity them that know less.”
— Thomas Browne
juredd1

Post by juredd1 »

Sorry for the delay in the pictures. I was working late and trying to get the post in before my network went down for maintenance so I didn't have time to get the pictures loaded.
100_4848.JPG
Pic above With the bigger tires. The big tires were replaced with the the regular size, we thought it might be better to do my training in the smaller ones.
IMG_3331.JPG
The kids are breaking it in the right way, with a little cheese dust.
IMG_3332.JPG
IMG_3336.JPG
c170b53

Post by c170b53 »

I fly that route almost every summer, and it never gets old. Great looking plane, I'd say you have done well.
Jim McIntosh..
1953 C170B S/N 25656
02 K1200RS
T. Gandy

Post by T. Gandy »

Thanks for the story and CONGRATULATIONS!! sounds like you had a fun trip home.
Terry Gandy
Don't stop flying the plane until it's tied down or the paramedics arrive
Ryan Smith

Post by Ryan Smith »

Green AND red? Your airplane, though beautiful it is, will cause some disturbance in the force here.

Nevertheless, CONGRATULATIONS!
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

Nice Justin. Love the cheese dust.

First mod that seems pretty clear to me is to paint over that red primer with more GREEN :lol:
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
170C

Post by 170C »

Justin, congrats on the purchase of your 170. May you have many, many years of enjoyment with it. I see two potential new 170 members there in the back seat. Cute kids :!: :!: Enjoyed your story and as someone mentioned it sounds like a good article for an upcoming 170 NEWS. Too bad about that headwind you encountered, although it gave you more logged time. That was likely that red paint slowing you down. That GREEN paint will serve you well :mrgreen: Get to know the 170 members in you area and go to some of their fly ins. You will find that we are just a big family.

Frank
OLE POKEY
170C
Director:
2012-2018
hilltop170

Post by hilltop170 »

Congratulations and good luck with your new plane! Your learning curve is very steep right now, get as much time in it as you can, especially with your kids. Have fun and be very careful as well. Remember to fly it all the way to the tiedown and cautiously keep challenging yourself with crosswinds, etc. You'll be surprised how fast you will feel comfortable. The 170 is a great airplane.
Richard Pulley
2014-2016 TIC170A Past President
1951 170A, N1715D, s/n 20158, O-300D
2023 Best Original 170A at Sault Ste. Marie
Owned from 1973 to 1984.
Bought again in 2006 after 22 years.
It's not for sale!
Ryan Smith

Post by Ryan Smith »

So does this mean his airplane is more or less as fast as a BLUE one?