Exhaust tail pipes

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

cvj774

Exhaust tail pipes

Post by cvj774 »

Attached is a picture of the cowling on my 52. At some point in my planes life the engine was changed
from a -145 to a 0-300. When and why the cowling was hacked for the pipes I don't know. I would like to
fix this problem by replacing the pipes and then repairing the cowling. Any guidance with this issue would
by greatly appreciated.

Carl
Attachments
exhaust1.jpg
GAHorn

Re: Exhaust tail pipes

Post by GAHorn »

An excellent method to repair the cowling might be found in the solutions used on the later serials, in which a sliding exit was utilized. See the IPC for that.
Late exhaust Ring (slider)
Late exhaust Ring (slider)
And even more attractive solution would be to close the exit completely, toss the tailpipes, and replace them with the Bartone tailpipes which exit at the lower cowl opening forward of the firewall. (Contact Member Pat Bartone, found in the Directory.)
As for the tailpipes, you might wish to verify the correct length by contacting AWI (Aerospace Welding Inc., in MN). Charlie Fields might have the info you need. The originals only exit the lower cowl by a couple inches. Longer tailpipes are offered by some aftermarket providers but they lack approval.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

Carl, virtually ALL 170s, except those owned by the very meticulous owner who knows better and has time and money to correct it, have worn and reconfigured exhaust openings. Has nothing to do with a change from C-145 to 0-300 as they are identical in regard to the exhaust opening. Has more to do with removing and re-installing an exhaust system that has play and therefor can be installed slightly different each time, and of course new or different parts over the years worn or made to different tolerance added to the system. Then add a shifting cowl and you have a recipe for these holes to be worn in all sorts of directions.

My first 170 had these holes worn so bad that nearly the entire doubler inside the cowl was gone. Didn't bother me in the least and the cowl was easy to remove which is an added benefit. :wink:

If it bothers you repair it. I'd think the repair might bother me as much as the wear damage.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
T. C. Downey

Post by T. C. Downey »

Do the mod.
DSCN3445.JPG
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

T. C. Downey wrote:Do the mod.
DSCN3445.JPG
:lol: :lol: :lol:
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
Ryan Smith

Post by Ryan Smith »

gahorn wrote:...And even more attractive solution would be to close the exit completely, toss the tailpipes, and replace them with the Bartone tailpipes which exit at the lower cowl opening forward of the firewall...
George,

What is the preferred method to cover the holes up if one were to change to the Bartone/Benham muffler arrangement? Would welding aluminum back in its place cause heartburn with regard to legalities, or is it up to the interpretation of major vs. minor alteration? Making it look like no hole was ever there looks much better than two patches riveted in place.
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Any sheet metal man worth his salt can make those holes cosmetically disappear usng a "dime and a dollar" patch, and filler/paint. (2024 aluminum, the alloy used in the cowling, is not easily welded anyway.)
T. C. Downey

Post by T. C. Downey »

gahorn wrote:Any sheet metal man worth his salt can make those holes cosmetically disappear usng a "dime and a dollar" patch, and filler/paint. (2024 aluminum, the alloy used in the cowling, is not easily welded anyway.)
OMG wash your mouth out.

Yes the cowl lower skins are 2024-T3, and work hardened on the wheel to form them.. do not weld unless you have a heat treatment oven large enough to re-heat treat.
cvj774

Post by cvj774 »

Are the Betone or the Bensham exhaust systems still available?

Carl
daedaluscan

Post by daedaluscan »

Yes they are, I just installed Bartone pipes.

If you want a pair of the slider plates and backers from a 56B you can have them for postage from Canada.
Charlie

1956 170B C-GDRG #27019
jlwild

Post by jlwild »

Carl,

Call or email Pat Bartone in Manchester, CT. Last time I talked to him he still has the exhaust pipes in stock. His phone number is listed in the membership directory. You can find it in the "members only" section on the home page of the website. Jim
Jim Wildharber, Kennesaw, GA
Past President TIC170A (2010-12) and Georgia Area Representative
'55 170B, N3415D, SN:26958, O-300D; People's Choice '06 Kelowna, B.C., Best Modified '07 Galveston, TX, Best Modified '08 Branson, MO.
cessna170bdriver

Post by cessna170bdriver »

I used a couple of fabric wing inspection covers to block the old holes in mine; easy to install and they didn't look that bad. This time around, I'll have a new lower cowl fabricated without the holes.
Miles

“I envy no man that knows more than myself, but pity them that know less.”
— Thomas Browne
robw56

Post by robw56 »

How much is the Bartone STC?
daedaluscan

Post by daedaluscan »

I think I paid $480? But ring Mr Bartone - he is charming. I love mine.
Charlie

1956 170B C-GDRG #27019
bagarre

Post by bagarre »

Would the wording of the STC prevent using the tail pipes on a TCM IO-360 vs the O-300?
They both use the same exhaust in a 170 so they'd bolt right up - if allowed.