No tailwheel needed.

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

edbooth

Re: No tailwheel needed.

Post by edbooth »

Bruce Fenstermacher wrote:Wow a really cool card board box. To bad that somebody put that darn tailwheel on top and crushed it in a little. It's salvageable though I think. What you going to do with it Ed?
Maybe I'll bring it for the convention auction, it has some really neat Aircraft Spruce & Specialty tape on it. :D
Ed Booth, 170-B and RV-7 Driver
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

Cool, I'll start saving up.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
Ryan Smith

Post by Ryan Smith »

Be sure to fill that thing up with grease so that it oozes out. I hear that really helps the friction plates and improves the performance and longevity of your tailwheel. :wink:
Kyle Wolfe

Post by Kyle Wolfe »

Ryan Smith wrote:Be sure to fill that thing up with grease so that it oozes out. I hear that really helps the friction plates and improves the performance and longevity of your tailwheel. :wink:
For sure! That tail wheel is WAY to clean to put on your 170, Ed!
Kyle
54 B N1932C
57 BMW Isetta
Best original 170B - Dearborn, MI 2005
edbooth

Post by edbooth »

The documentation from ABI says to keep your hands off and not to go cramming more grease into it, they took care of all that at the factory. I'm hesitant to go flying and get it all nasty.
Ryan Smith

Post by Ryan Smith »

Aryana wrote:Ed, that is purdy...Ryan was just being sarcastic. No better way to ruin a perfectly good tailwheel than blindly pumping it full of grease!
I was. I have been wrestling with the mechanics at my field about the tailwheel on "my" airplane. Because I don't own it, I'm often ignored. The last time after they replaced the pawl spring, the tailwheel was pumped with about ten pumps of grease...so much that it ran out through the steering arm slots and all over the top of the tire.

Thankfully, no issues in the last 20 hours, but it's been messy trying to clean up.
edbooth

Post by edbooth »

Ryan Smith wrote:
Aryana wrote:Ed, that is purdy...Ryan was just being sarcastic. No better way to ruin a perfectly good tailwheel than blindly pumping it full of grease!
I was. I have been wrestling with the mechanics at my field about the tailwheel on "my" airplane. Because I don't own it, I'm often ignored. The last time after they replaced the pawl spring, the tailwheel was pumped with about ten pumps of grease...so much that it ran out through the steering arm slots and all over the top of the tire.

Thankfully, no issues in the last 20 hours, but it's been messy trying to clean up.
I knew you were just screwing with me Ryan...I've been hearing about the grease thing in like .....forever. I will limit the grease and Hopefully this wheel will last me for as long as I'll ever need one.
Kyle Wolfe

Post by Kyle Wolfe »

Ed's no newby guys! He knows his way around a 170. Not to mention the RVs he's built too. But we gotta give him a little BS about anything that clean and shiny!
Kyle
54 B N1932C
57 BMW Isetta
Best original 170B - Dearborn, MI 2005
Ryan Smith

Post by Ryan Smith »

Kyle Wolfe wrote:Ed's no newby guys! He knows his way around a 170. Not to mention the RVs he's built too. But we gotta give him a little BS about anything that clean and shiny!
Ed's only owned 25A for 45 years. He's still a spring chicken...you know, in the grand scheme of things. :o
edbooth

Post by edbooth »

Ryan Smith wrote:
Kyle Wolfe wrote:Ed's no newby guys! He knows his way around a 170. Not to mention the RVs he's built too. But we gotta give him a little BS about anything that clean and shiny!
Ed's only owned 25A for 45 years. He's still a spring chicken...you know, in the grand scheme of things. :o
I think it's more like a late fall or early winter chicken. :lol:
170C

Post by 170C »

I don't need to lube my tailwheel because there is enough oil from the engine back there to take care of it :oops:
That tailwheel looks like Coat's does all the time :mrgreen:
OLE POKEY
170C
Director:
2012-2018