Center Stack Radios

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

blueldr wrote:George,

Were you disappointed when decommissioned the old four legged radio ranges?
WHAT? What are "radio ranges"? Do they use a sextant and inductor compass?
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
Green Bean

Modification are good.

Post by Green Bean »

I really like the look of the DC-3 with PT6-67R's,(Bassler Conversion) and funny things sticking out of the side of the fuseluge. If nothing else it gives comfort or anxiety to those on the ground (depending who you are) that the 65 year old is going to be around for some time to come.

When you improve the performance, you also improve the margin of safety.
Iceman07

Post by Iceman07 »

mbram wrote:STC Number:
SA4540NM

This certificate issued to:
Del-Air

STC Holder's Address:
2121 S. Wildcat Way
Porterville CA 93257
United States

Description of the Type Design Change:
Installation of modified instrument panel and control yoke.

Application Date:

Issued, 03/16/1989

Responsible Office:
ANM-100L Los Angeles Aircraft Certification Office Tel: (562) 627-5200

TC Number -- Make -- Model:
A-799 -- Cessna Aircraft Company, The -- 170A
A-799 -- Cessna Aircraft Company, The -- 170B

I talked to Harry last year when I purchased my Aircraft
He said the cost for the STC mod on the yoke and blank panels
is about 2200.00.
Excuse my ignorance, but what, exactly, do you get for the &2200.00?
N5740C 1950 'A' Model
n3437d

Center Stack

Post by n3437d »

I know I'll be corrected on this but i think the $2200 gets you a very nice piece of paper that makes your plane legal (assuming of course that your not) :wink:
Visitors are more than welcome. Stop by and say hello.
bradbrady

Post by bradbrady »

That's pretty much right, and you get to go through the headake of finding all the parts, and putting them together, to meet the STC, and finding someone that will sign the whole mess off (It's not as bleek as I make it sound, but It's not just that easy! :evil:
brad
blueldr

Post by blueldr »

I would suspect that for $2200 Harry Dellicker would provide more than the paper work for the center stack mod.

The stuff he puts out is spendy, but it is really good and complete.
I used a yoke from a C-172 and had to shorten the main shaft between the pivot bolt hole and the elevator push/pull bolt hole. Someone later told me that the '64 C-172 yoke did not need shortening.
BL
mbram

Post by mbram »

That price included modification of the yoke and the blank panels.
a complete kit. not a complete project. laser cutting the panels and installation are needed for completion. It has been a year and half
since I talked to Harry. The price and kit information that I have is
out of date.
Mike
N 9545A
william halford

Post by william halford »

One of the main reason we bought our 170 was because of the center stack rado rack, ( the price also played a factor) but servile Annual's back prior to our ownership one I/A had douts about the mod and contacted the FAA, But in all the paperwork there is a letter from a Cessna engineer address to the FAA stated that the Panel was approved for that Type aircraft 170A, Yes there is a 172 ctl yoke. If anyone would like a copy of this letter I would be more than happy to send it..Gary
hilltop170

Post by hilltop170 »

Gary- I would appreciate a copy of the letter. Can you scan it and email it?
Thanks
Richard Pulley
2014-2016 TIC170A Past President
1951 170A, N1715D, s/n 20158, O-300D
2023 Best Original 170A at Sault Ste. Marie
Owned from 1973 to 1984.
Bought again in 2006 after 22 years.
It's not for sale!
william halford

Post by william halford »

I think I might have jump the gun on the paperwork for the center radio stack, During the pre purchase inspection of the aircraft , The letter was found that states that this 170A aircraft had a 170B instrument panel , Cessna engineer stated that since the aircraft had been flying for the past 6 yrs they did not see any problem with this. Now as a A/P and also an A/C Inspector for a 121 carrier. I figure I had better shoot this across the table with my friendly FAA along with a photo of the instrument panel. Since it did not say anything about the center stack radios. There comments was never ever let the letter get away from the aircraft and always keep the 337 together .So what you might say is a certified mod approved by Cessna along with the FAA.. Any one still wanting a copy of this letter, along with the 337. I would be more than happy to send it.. along with photos ..Gary..

I am sorry if I mislead anyone... George.. I will fwd copies to you for the files...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

William

Just to shed a little more light on your letter, I have a letter from a Cessna representitive outlining what wings from other models would be suitable for a 170 as well as other models of Cessna aircraft.

Wanting to get a better copy of the letter I contacted Cessna and this indiviual about five years ago. He seemed to be a reasonable guy from the old school who, it appeared to me, generated letters like mine and possibly yours to support modifications in the field. They where and are official Cessna documentation. I don't think his department had been discovered by the Cessna liability legal department yet. :)

In anycase these types of letters might be more commonplace than we think.

Now don't all rush to call Cessna. This fellow retired a month or so after happily generating a brand new letter just like he had about six years prior for my aircraft. I'm sure his department was eliminated at the same time. :x
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

My own aircraft had an incorrect engine model in it for almost 20 years before the installed engine became properly approved (by documentation courtesy of our Association and past-president Ron Massicot who developed and donated the STC.) (It had a O-300-C, but the FAA inspectors themselves missed the dash-number and issued a Cert. of Airworthiness (C of A) when it was re-imported.) It is my belief/opinion that such errors are not without hazard. There is no free ride. All it would take would be for ONE inspector to say,.... "That's not right."... and the C of A would be (correctly) revoked until the aircraft returned/documented to airworthy status. (I'm not certain that some diligent FAA-type wouldn't happily issue a "condition tag", effectively grounding such aircraft, until an owner spent the time/effort/money to either restore the aircraft to original status, or document the modifications to support a basis of approval that better met the intent of the FARs.)
In that line of reasoning, I don't believe that any one inspector's casual comment to "hang onto that letter" lends any special status to a letter not issued properly/appropriately originally. But it might be a defense to prosecution or certificate action. (Sort of like a pilot certificate accidentally issued with ratings not actually earned.... the unearned rating might be printed on the pilot certificate but it is illegal/unauthorized for the airman to excersize the privileges of the unearned rating.)
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
blueldr

Post by blueldr »

Bruce F.,

How are chances of getting a copy of that letter from the Cessna guy concerning tie interchangeability of various Cessna Model wings? I sure would like to have a copy of it to keep with my airplane file. Every little bit helps, you know.
Have you ever sent a copy to the TIC170A so that we could order a copy and help the club finances?

Dick Lemmon
BL
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Yep. As you know, Bruce is one of the most ardent supporters of TIC170A and he sent a copy to me for assn files, and perhaps one to hdqrtrs as well. If you come to Galveston I'll personally hand you a copy.... :lol: or if Bruce doesn't generously beat me to it.... (of course YOU did mention something about a little donation...????) :twisted:
wa4jr

Post by wa4jr »

Since I am keeping my 170B for a few more years now, I am revisiting the subject of replacing my old hacked-up panel with a new center-stack panel. But here is the bug on the windscreen...I've decided not to go with a packaged panel kit as I do not want to whack off the control column and cables. There has to be a better way. Iv'e seen several aircraft with a center stack panel that works around the horizontal T bar, but the problem is that I cannot find a human to talk to who has actually done one of these panels. I know I'll have to go through the Washington FSDO for a field approval, but with all the supporting data floating around I should be well armed. I'd rather do some footwork than pay through the nose for a kit panel, then have to hack up my control column. How am I going to get around the T bar :?: My initial plan is to put my PS Engineering audio panel at the very top, followed by my KX-155, with these units riding over the T bar. In the area where space is limited due to the T bar, I'm planning on installing a panel mounted Garmin 396/496. Below the Garmin can then reside my trusty Narco COM 120 and AT155 transponder. My beloved KLN-88 may be dropped from the lineup. This avionics arrangement should result in an unbroken vertical lineup and still allow full aft movement of the T bar. I'd really love to find at least one person who will admit that they have installed a home-brew panel, keeping the horizontal T bar intact, and were successful at gaining a field approval. I see photos....I KNOW it has been done....so who among us will step up to the plate and lend a hand to the blind :?
John, 2734C in Summit Point, WV