Tailwheel Leaf Spring Advice

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

johneeb

Re: Tailwheel Leaf Spring Advice

Post by johneeb »

Bruce Fenstermacher wrote:A bit late but if you look closely at your original springs you will see the main and the second longest spring are the same thickness and they are both thicker than the top two. The top two are original thickness. The bottom two are the thickness commonly attributed to an L-19 part. I suspect your old second spring is a broken off old main spring which would account for that ruff end "cut".
Bruce my second spring is thicker then the top two springs and thinner then the main spring. Also like Arish I have (as you can see) Teflon tape between springs and it has stayed in place.
170 tailwheel spring 2.jpg
John E. Barrett
aka. Johneb

Sent from my "Cray Super Computer"
Onewinglo

Post by Onewinglo »

Brad,
My U bolt came from Air Repair. 0642133 for $38.00, Ouch!
JP
C170A N1714D
My First Airplane!
Onewinglo

Post by Onewinglo »

Got my new leaf springs installed today!
image.jpg

The old ones... #2 was looking pretty bad.
image.jpg
C170A N1714D
My First Airplane!
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

Onewinglo wrote:Got my new leaf springs installed today!
I'd invert the chain links from the way you have them. The nice rounded end with fit nicely around the round spring and the flat of the chain link will hold the clip at the control end nicely together.
IMG_1258.JPG
If you look close at the Scott install drawing this is the way it is shown.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
Onewinglo

Post by Onewinglo »

Thanks Bruce. I'll flip the chains tomorrow.
Bruce Fenstermacher wrote:
Onewinglo wrote:Got my new leaf springs installed today!
I'd invert the chain links from the way you have them. The nice rounded end with fit nicely around the round spring and the flat of the chain link will hold the clip at the control end nicely together.
IMG_1258.JPG
If you look close at the Scott install drawing this is the way it is shown.
C170A N1714D
My First Airplane!
johneeb

Post by johneeb »

Looks like the first chance I get I also will reverse my chains.

JP the new set up looks nice, I cannot tell if you chamfered the bottom of the 3rd spring to prevent creating a stress riser in the main spring?
John E. Barrett
aka. Johneb

GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Onewinglo wrote:Brad,
My U bolt came from Air Repair. 0642133 for $38.00, Ouch!
JP

Try getting it from Cessna: 0642133 -- U-BOLT -- $2,248.00
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
Onewinglo

Post by Onewinglo »

johneeb wrote:Looks like the first chance I get I also will reverse my chains.

JP the new set up looks nice, I cannot tell if you chamfered the bottom of the 3rd spring to prevent creating a stress riser in the main spring?
Johneeb,
I put a 1/64" radius on the 3rd spring. It's not much but should be enough.
JP
C170A N1714D
My First Airplane!
johneeb

Post by johneeb »

JP, good on you, I have no idea how much radius is necessary and certainly some is better then none. I do know that I went through a couple of springs before I learned that I needed to chamfer the edge of the third spring and those main springs were definitely stressed at the point where the third spring end met the main spring, sense I have been chamfering the third spring there is no stress riser being created the paint is not even worn away.
John E. Barrett
aka. Johneb

C170U2

Post by C170U2 »

Onewinglo- If it were me, I would reverse the tie down bolt. You will ding up all the new paint with tie down chains rubbing on it. (Air Repair also told me over the phone to put it in with the ring on the bottom) Your IA might disagree, but I would swap it around.
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

C170U2 wrote:Onewinglo- If it were me, I would reverse the tie down bolt. You will ding up all the new paint with tie down chains rubbing on it.
The solution of course is don't use chain to tie down. :wink:

I believe most, including me, think the ring on the top is much more convenient.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
Onewinglo

Post by Onewinglo »

After my tailwheel leaf springs were changed I completed a series of really bad landings - purely for post maintenance testing. Click the link fr a sample...
https://vimeo.com/132775264

JP
C170A N1714D
My First Airplane!
daedaluscan

Post by daedaluscan »

I really hate using chains. The idea of any motion ending with a sudden stop seems so wrong. I carry ropes and use them in place of chains provided. Ring on top for me, I crawl around enough looking after the tailwheel anyway.
Charlie

1956 170B C-GDRG #27019
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Aryana wrote:I'm fairly certain George is in the ring on bottom camp so that settles it, right? :lol:
Wrong. Not only is mine on TOP.... (because it's much more convenient when tying down using my own stakes during campouts).... but MY choices are usually questionable. :lol:

The ring on the bottom better serves established tie downs designed for tricycle geared airplanes. The tailrings on those aircraft are directly beneath the tailcone...in other words, directly in FRONT of where the tailwheel usually sits on a taildragger. When tying down at a public airport I find my tail rope must be taken forward to reach the standard tie down spot. This means my rope (which is always stronger than the string or the degraded poly ropes or chains used at most public airports) must wrap around the tailsprings and greasy-wheel. (I suspect the military L-19 was usually parked or transported using standardized tie downs designed for trikes.

In a perfect world, I think instead of a NUT.... the eyebolt would have an EYE-NUT... so either would be convenient.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)