A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

Waterboy

Post by Waterboy »

Greetings,

I thought I would take a minute to introduce myself as I am new to the association. My name is Ken and I reside in Hood River, OR. In aviation terms I'm a young guy, 39. I took my first flying lesson at the age of 14 so I'm not young to the ways of aviation. Anyway, I fulfilled a life long dream last year and bought my first airplane. A 1949 170A model. :D

I have been lurking on the forum here for over a year and finally decided to join up. I probably would have sooner if there was a direct credit card payment option, instead of PayPal. Thank you guys for all the great discussion and information on the site. I'm especially interested in owner assisted maintenance. A pilot salary only goes so far and every dollar counts.

Is there a link to all the maintenance write ups in the new letters? I find those useful perhaps I just need to contunue to go through the news letters one by one.

Is the 170 book included with first time membership?

Thanks guys,

Ken

Oh by the way, I like ethonal free mogas, have used MMO, I'm running 8.00-6 tires and want to go bigger! 8O

I figured I best just jump right the mix. :D
DaveF

Re: New member

Post by DaveF »

Where do you stand on red vs. green?
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

Ken,

Yes the 170 book Timeless Classic is now given free to first time members. You should be getting yours in the mail.

And for all reading we can take your credit card directly but you must call headquarters with the info after filling out the online form and submitting it. We use Paypal, which can charge your credit card and not a bank account if you want set that up, as they offer a secure online method that would be prohibitive for us to duplicate.

As for a list or one stop source of just the maintenance items printed, there is none. You just have to read as many back issues as you can and of course the 170 Book. The modern version of all that of course as you probably have figured out is this forum.

Sounds like we have a few things in common. Same year airplane, like big tires, ethanol free MOGAS and MMO. The red or green thing is about all we need to get clear. :lol: But I welcome you to the Association either way.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
Waterboy

Post by Waterboy »

I think I remember that question from an old Monty Python movie

"what is your favorite color?"
"Red, no, Green Ahhhhhhh!" :lol:

Anyway, I used the PayPal link and it worked fine once I got logged in.

Bruce you and I have a bit in common, I also make a living flying a thousand spare parts in close formation.
Or as some call it a helicopter.

Hey quick question, my mixture feels like it has notches in it. It feels like it was made that way, someone told me it should be smooth. Which is correct?
bigrenna

delete

Post by bigrenna »

delete
Last edited by bigrenna on Mon Jun 29, 2015 2:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hawkeyenfo

Post by Hawkeyenfo »

Welcome aboard!! Enjoy your new plane....and, go bgger 8)
Fly Navy !!!!

1941 Boeing PT-13D Stearman
1952 Cessna 170B
1960 Piper Aztec (PA23-250)
Bruce Fenstermacher

Your mixture can have notches which can feel like a ratchet but this was not stock. Stock would be a smooth shaft with a spring loaded tab that needs to be pushed in while the mixture is pulled out but allows the mixture to be pushed in freely. Of course there is a little drag from the wire inside the sheath.
Screen Shot 2013-11-04 at 6.29.22 PM.png
Screen Shot 2013-11-04 at 6.29.22 PM.png (29.15 KiB) Viewed 10733 times
Who do you work for and what type of helicopter do you fly?

T. Gandy

Post by T. Gandy »

Waterboy, welcome! As a new person, myself, I can tell you first hand this is a very welcoming association.

Nice job of dodging the red/green question. It was a set-up; TIC170A version of hazing, I think.
Terry Gandy
Don't stop flying the plane until it's tied down or the paramedics arrive
Brad Brady

Post by Brad Brady »

Welcome Ken!
Like Bruce said...not original, although, an original, with the sheath wearing on the wire can give the same feel. Something to give a second look at.
Brad
C170U2

Post by C170U2 »

Welcome! Post a picture of your plane when you get a chance. It's always fun to see what other guys are flying around!
n2582d

Post by n2582d »

Brad Brady wrote:Welcome Ken!
Like Bruce said...not original, although, an original, with the sheath wearing on the wire can give the same feel. Something to give a second look at.
Brad
Here's the solution for that problem (for about the same price as a new cable).
Gary
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Welcome, Waterboy!
You should first examine your mixture control to decide which type you have.... If it's a ratcheting type...(a popular replacement type made by ACS)...yes, it will "ratchet". I have that on my own airplane and find it preferable to the smooth, original type.

As for red vs green.... take notice that the official Logo of this association has no green in it whatsoever. :wink:
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
170C

Post by 170C »

I would like to add my welcome Waterboy. The association is a really good one and you will fit right in. If you have monitored the forum for any length of time you have seen the red-GREEN debate from time to time. It's all in fun :mrgreen: (But we do need to know what color you plane is :lol: :lol: :lol: We need more members in your area of the states. Always looking for members up your way to consider hosting an annual convention---hint, hint :D :D
OLE POKEY
170C
Director:
2012-2018
Bruce Fenstermacher

Frank cut the guy a break. He hasn't even declared his color preference and your signing him up to host a convention.

bagarre

Post by bagarre »

Half Moon Bay would be a nice convention site as well. :twisted: